Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ebay Rates Going Up

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Ebay Rates Going Up

Old 01-17-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay Rates Going Up

Ebay rates are going up at the end of the month. Buy it Now will cost money. Some rates going up 100%. Just read it on CNET.
Old 01-17-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Details: http://www2.ebay.com/aw/marketing.shtml

Why would people pay for Buy It Now (even if it's only 5 cents) when the thing disappears the instant someone places a bid? I like Buy it Now, but I also like to start my auctions with very low starting bids... there's no way I'm going to pay extra for an option that will likely disappear within the first few hours of an auction.
Old 01-17-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
Details: http://www2.ebay.com/aw/marketing.shtml

Why would people pay for Buy It Now (even if it's only 5 cents) when the thing disappears the instant someone places a bid? I like Buy it Now, but I also like to start my auctions with very low starting bids... there's no way I'm going to pay extra for an option that will likely disappear within the first few hours of an auction.
Ditto. I only used buy it now because it was free. Also, I never use the "list in two categories" thing because they charge me more.
Old 01-17-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by dpham00

Ditto. I only used buy it now because it was free. Also, I never use the "list in two categories" thing because they charge me more.
I agree with all of the opinions about BIN stated above. But at least when you list under two categories you will in all likelihood get more exposure and potentially more hits and bids. That may be worth something if you list an item that truly has crossover appeal.
Old 01-17-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by thgord
I agree with all of the opinions about BIN stated above. But at least when you list under two categories you will in all likelihood get more exposure and potentially more hits and bids. That may be worth something if you list an item that truly has crossover appeal.
I guess it depends on what you're listing. I usually sell DVDs, and from my experience, it really doesn't help listing in two categories.
Old 01-17-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really understand their logic behind charging more for Buy it Nows. Generally the buy it now price is higher than the item would normally sell for in a traditional auction. When buying, I only use them when I really want the item quickly and willing to pay a little bit extra. When selling, I put them on at some price I don't think the item would reach anyways for others that might want it quickly. So based on that, ebay would get a higher percentage fee since the auction is ending at a higher amount. Plus the auction ends sooner and its not on their site as long, reducing the overhead of carrying it.
Old 01-17-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jeraden
I don't really understand their logic behind charging more for Buy it Nows. Generally the buy it now price is higher than the item would normally sell for in a traditional auction. When buying, I only use them when I really want the item quickly and willing to pay a little bit extra. When selling, I put them on at some price I don't think the item would reach anyways for others that might want it quickly. So based on that, ebay would get a higher percentage fee since the auction is ending at a higher amount. Plus the auction ends sooner and its not on their site as long, reducing the overhead of carrying it.
Exactly.

If an item traditionally sells on eBay for $35 and I make my Buy It Now price $40... if the thing actually sells for that, eBay will make more money off the final fees. Why would they want to charge for a service that actually makes them MORE money? By trying to squeeze an extra $.05 out of people, eBay is making them think twice about using the service. I know I won't be using it.

It just seems like the whole concept of BIN helps eBay out in the long run... there's no extra overhead for them, and they will have some items selling for more $$$$ (and more fees) than a traditional auction. Why they would actually try to charge sellers for this is beyond me.

And, again, this option disappears if anyone places a bid. So, if I use it, I'm discouraged from making the starting bid reasonable.

Seems like eBay is trying to really split things up between traditional auctions and one-click sales. That's too bad, because I thought their current setup was working out great, both as a buyer and a seller.
Old 01-17-02, 07:52 PM

Honestly I can't see a reason to justify price hikes... probably do amazon's or some cheaper site just out of spite
Old 01-17-02, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Damn you eBay!"
- Homer Simpson
Old 01-17-02, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sc0rPs
Honestly I can't see a reason to justify price hikes... probably do amazon's or some cheaper site just out of spite
easy, they turned a profit of 14 cents a share last quarter, so they have to beat that or they're not growing..
Old 01-18-02, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

eBay said "lack of real competition had nothing to do with it"

yeah right.