Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy's Retarded Policies = Great Price on Sony DVD Player!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-02, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

So I'm in Best Buy's return line and the guy in front of me has the DVD player that I've been wanting to upgrade to, the Sony DVP-ns400d. I ask him why he didn't like it, he told me "I didn't even open it, I don't want to mess with DVDs because I have 400 VHS tapes!". We won't get into that . Anyway, he gets the front of the line, and the girl at the counter busts out something to OPEN the box with. The guy says "what are you doing? The box is still sealed!". She said that it's Best Buy's policy to verify the contents of returns! He again reiterated that it was sealed, but she kept qouting "policy". He shrugs. But I get a brainstorm

You know that Best Buy has open box deals. So when I finish returning my merchandise, I ask her if I can purchase the DVD player open box. She says "sure" and calls someone for electronics up, and he prices the player at $189!! That's $40 less than their price for a "new" unit, which this one is!! I ask him why they do this and he agrees that the policy is retarded, but that's what makes open box deals so great. I'm inclined to agree .

Well imagine my surprise when I get the front and the cashier says "oh, this player comes with a free $20 gift card!". So I get that too, but in order to make the receipt right, she takes ANOTHER $20 off the price of the DVD player ($169 now) and charges me for the gift card. I then put the DVD player in my car, and go to the return line, where I return the gift card. So I purchased the Sony DVP-NS400D for $169 which is $60 off Best Buy's price and cheaper than anywhere online!

BTW - this is a fantastic player, better picture than I have ever dreamed and the sound is perfectly balanced. Great purchase!

So here's the hint: knowing Best Buy's policy with returns, take advantage! You may be getting a brand new piece of equipment for tons less than you expected to pay!
Old 01-08-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I just picked up a SAMSUNG V1000 (the one that has the DVD player and VHS in one unit) at Best Buy for over 50% off. It's in mint condition with manual, remote, etc.

They apparently have been instructed to get rid of all of the holiday returns "no matter what" and they open *all* of them.

Not the best player in the world, but it's a great one to throw in the bedroom, because of the space savings.
Old 01-08-02, 06:22 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course, given the length of Best Buy's return lines, you probably spent around $300 worth of your time in the line to get the $60 off.
Old 01-08-02, 06:25 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Hoc
Of course, given the length of Best Buy's return lines, you probably spent around $300 worth of your time in the line to get the $60 off.
Wow, what kind of job are you doing that is worth $300 a few hours at most in the line?
Old 01-08-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I was in line about 15 minutes and was there to return items anyway.
Old 01-09-02, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by wfujosh
I was in line about 15 minutes and was there to return items anyway.
(With apologies to eau)

Wow, what kind of job are you doing that is worth $300 for fifteen minutes?