Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone have problems with the BestBuy.com site using in store pickup?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-02, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The site is flipping out on me. I'm trying to order the fast & the furious with the $5 bucks they sent me, but the website won't let me select the in store pickup Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-02-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you using Netscape Navigator? If so, switch to IE. From what I've read, this is a common problem.

Post back here if that was (or wasn't) the problem.
Old 01-02-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by stevevt
Are you using Netscape Navigator? If so, switch to IE. From what I've read, this is a common problem.

Post back here if that was (or wasn't) the problem.
Yep, that's what it was. Went IE and the process was smooth as a whistle. I think I'll complain to BB about this one.
Old 01-02-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You think that was a pain, wait until you try to do the instore pickup ... maybe we should start a new thread on in store pickup at Best Buy, which locations seem to handle it well and which don't ... maybe just giving addresses and a small description. The 2 attempts I had at it were a major pain in the a$$.
Old 01-02-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kansas City Best Buys seem to handle instore pickup ok.

The only pain is having to wait in the customer service line, but once you get to the "front", it seems ok (sample size = 3)
Old 01-03-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is my first time doing the in-store pickup option. How long does it take to get your confirmation number? I figure I should've gotten one by now. Does it depend on how lazy the store is?
Old 01-03-02, 10:24 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Had my first real pick up experience at BB today.

I guess most of this is my fault - but this is real bad organization on BB's part. First of all, you have to get in the CS line which is full of Christmas returns at this time of year. Then, they can't pull up my order even after I gave my DL and the credit card I used. I guess I forgot to take the confirmation # with me, but the email mentions what to take in this order: liscence, credit card, order #. I guess 2 out of 3 isn't good enough for BB.

Hopefully it'll go smooth when I reattempt tomorrow.
Old 01-04-02, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MrN
Then, they can't pull up my order even after I gave my DL and the credit card I used. I guess I forgot to take the confirmation # with me, but the email mentions what to take in this order: liscence, credit card, order #. I guess 2 out of 3 isn't good enough for BB.
Actually they can't look up the order by the order number, this is what a pick-up email states:

1. A state issued photo ID
2. The purchasing credit card (same name as the ID)*
The store employee will need to take an imprint of your credit card. Rest assured that you are not being charged again;
this is done to ensure that the security of your credit card is protected.
3. Confirmation number (listed below)

-----

What I would like to know is how my security is being protected by having them take an imprint of my credit card and then filing that in a media accordian file that lays around the customer service area? Anyone could come in and attempt to swipe that folder and run. There goes all those credit card numbers.

At one store when they "imprinted" my card they did so by swiping it through the register. At another store they actually used one of the old imprinting machines where it uses the carbon rollers to imprint the card on the thermal paper. Anyone know why the two stores had to do it differently? Also the carbon roller store was a newer store than the one that ran it through the register.

While I'm at it, when I ran into BB real quick today as a family member wanted to look at something, I strolled through the DVD aisles just browsing, and I noticed that there was at least one title out in both DVD and VHS that shouldn't be on shelves until January 8th. An employee was "cleaning up/refilling" the area and I was half tempted to say, "Do you know that this shouldn't be out and if any get sold, your store is going to be fined?"
Old 01-04-02, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Deadpool
This is my first time doing the in-store pickup option. How long does it take to get your confirmation number? I figure I should've gotten one by now. Does it depend on how lazy the store is?
One time I ordered a DVD at night time, around 1:00 AM ET, and I had a confirmation number the next morning and the email was dated as being sent at 9:44 AM ET, so they must have pulled all the overnight orders when they got in first thing. This was also a newer store.

Another time I placed an order with an older BestBuy store for in store pick-up and I waited over 24 hours to get a confirmation. At that point I was near BestBuy so I just called on my cell phone and cancelled the order and then went inside and picked up the DVD and checked out.

So, yes, it all depends on how lazy the store is, and how hard they want to look to find what you have ordered.
Old 01-04-02, 09:31 AM

I've done several at my local Best Buy with no problems whatsoever. However, they can take an extremely and ridiculously long time to find my products. One time I ordered a DVD and CD for in-store pick-up. I asked if it would be faster to pick it up from the shelf and they said not to. Well, i was there waiting and finally just took off and grabbed the two items from the floor and headed back to customer service. They still refused, saying it had to come from their special area with all the other in-store pick-ups.

I only do in-store pick-ups if i have a Best Buy online coupon.

Last edited by DonkeyKong; 01-04-02 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-04-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It seems that the consensus is if there is a discount(like the recent $5 coupon) to use the web it may be worthwhile, but if you want the item quick just go in and buy it (I use the web to determine if my local store has an item that I'm interested in and then just go in and buy it. I had the same experience as DonkeyKong, I could have pulled the item faster. I have not tried it at the brand new Best Buy store close to my home though, as so far they have not had the item in stock that I wanted.
Old 01-04-02, 12:54 PM

My one experience, I selected it for in-store pickup, and they wrote back and said, gee, we screwed up, it's not really in stock at that location. You can pick it up at a different location or we'll ship it to you free of shipping charges. I chose to have it shipped, and sure enough, they did it. (I had to order it normally then send an email to customer svc with my order # and they would credit the shipping; so I wasn't optimistic that this would happen without trouble. But it did.)

The kicker was, the same day I got the email saying they didn't have it at that store, I had to drive past the store and I couldn't resist taking 5 minutes to stop and check the shelf. Sure enough there were 3 copies there.

So I'm not likely to do it again unless (like in that case) I have a web-only coupon.
Old 01-04-02, 03:20 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by dvd-fanman

Actually they can't look up the order by the order number, this is what a pick-up email states:

1. A state issued photo ID
2. The purchasing credit card (same name as the ID)*
The store employee will need to take an imprint of your credit card. Rest assured that you are not being charged again;
this is done to ensure that the security of your credit card is protected.
3. Confirmation number (listed below)

I guess I misquoted. Still, they should have thought about finding it by order # or by the Credit Card used.

At the very least, they should say, 'what'd you order' and find the damn thing - the store I went to looked like they have at most 20 things waiting to be picked up, albeit arranged in random order.
Old 01-05-02, 02:16 PM

I ordered Madmax SE yesterday for in-store pickup with the $5 digital coupon. Today I got an email that this title is not available at the store.

I drove over to the store and found dozens of copies of the DVD. I asked an employee when they got these. He said that they got it on tuesday.

So basically they are lying when they say that they do not have any copies for in-store pickup. I have tried the in-store pickup otion twice before and everytime I had serious problems picking up my order after I got the confirmation number via e-mail.

--
BTW, stevet, thanks for closing my duplicate post and directing me here. I should have done a search first. I apologize for the mistake.
Old 01-05-02, 03:15 PM

Think that's bad...

I agree with the complaint about credit card security. If you think you had it bad when they used the old imprint machines to copy your card info, you should have seen my experience. After waiting in line for almost a half hour with only one person in front of me, I was finally helped. Instead of using any sort of device that was made for credit cards, the employee put my CC under the receipt and rubbed a pen over the top! She then left it on the counter in the open until I mentioned it to her. The usually have the items ready for me, it's just a matter of waiting in line behind people who are filling out credit apps or returning things. Don't do it unless the savings warants it.
Old 01-06-02, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had the same problem getting Fast and the furious for instore pickup. they said they had no copies on release day at 10:21 am. so 21 minutes after they opened they had sold out

I called customer service and told them they were wrong this was not possible. they said it must be a mistake since their computer showed they had 300 copies at that store

they resubmitted the order. I decided to call them on it and went in and bought a copy planning to return it later. i went home and sent an email saying this was a total lie since I had just went in and bought a copy. 1 hour later i got a pickup confirmation
that evening I got a response to my email saying they had received the pickup confirmation so they were glad i had my copy reserved.

frankly I think I will just not use the online service again except for misprices since their system is so screwed up.