Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Opening a store. Would appreciate (love!) your opinions.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-01, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'll start by apologizing. I fear this post will be long.

I used to run a VHS/Laserdisc store in Toronto called Art & Trash Video (check out our hideous old web site (just to see what kind of stuff we carried) at http://www.alientomato.com/artandtrash/index.htm ).

I am now in the process of doing some research to open (re-open?) Art & Trash and deal exclusively in DVD. It will be a brick and mortar store, but, depending on costs, I would also like to have an online counterpart to allow locals a unique way to interact with the store--and non-locals a way of dealing with us in general (for sell thru, for instance).

First off, let me just say that I am not, um, that technically inclined. I'm a newbie to DVD. I am mostly a movie lover and am not satisfied with the selection the local stores are offering (ie, I think I can kick all their asses with my own store).

So, I'm wondering if the fine folks on this forum would mind giving me some feedback on some of my ideas. I'd certainly appreciate it. In no particular order:

1. The Region "Problem"

I would like to offer a great selection of Region 1 titles for rent and sale. However, when a title is not available in Region 1, or is available in a much better non-R1 package, I'd like to carry it that way. This of course presents the problem of my customers playing the dvd.

a. If I rent Region-free DVD players (such as the ACI Flex unit I see so often on eBay) for cheap (say, $3 per day). Would this eliminate this problem? Or are region-free discs, and/or region-free players finicky? Is their finickyness disc-specific, title-specific, region-specific, tv-specific, and/or all of the above?

b. If you don't own a R-Free player yourself, and your local rental store offered them for a reasonable rate, would you rent one to see titles otherwise not available to you?

c. What problems do you foresee this scenario creating for the customer? For me (besides theft)?

d. That anyone knows of, are there any legal barriers to me renting out non-region 1 or region free DVDs and/or players.

2. Tiered memberships

I'm thinking of offering tiered memberships. The basic membership would work just like your regular store (free membership; pay for rentals). The "higher" memberships would work in a similar way to what netflix.com does. You pay a monthly fee for your membership, but your rentals are free.

(The dollar figures below are just for discussion. I haven't worked out math and such yet).

For instance, for $30 (I'm in Canada so that's about us$20), you could have any 2 movies out at any time. Return time would be 7 days. Late fees would be a buck a day.

For $40 you could have 3 out at a time with a two week rental period.

... etc.

I realize that netflix has an "unlimited" rental time. However, I don't have their capital and cannot figure out a way to do such a scheme with a walk-in store. In addition, to my knowledge, no company in Canada is doing the netflix thing so they're not technically my competition. (Please, if anyone knows different, let me know.)

a. What do people think of this? Is this something you'd be keen on in a brick and mortar store?

b. What price points do you think are fair?

c. Any problems you can foresee with this scenario?

3. The Online Community

Ideally, I'd like to have an online portion of my store as well. There, customers could have an online profile with stats about them, their list of favorite movies, etc., and be able to talk with other members (similar to the forums here). They'd also be able to

a. search our rental and sale inventory

b. pick out movies they want to see in the future and add them to their 'must see' list.

-- then, when they come in, they can visit a customer computer terminal, log in, and see these titles, along with where to find them, etc.

c. be able to view titles they've rented in the past.

-- review these titles for others to see
-- if someone, after reading your review, adds the title to their "must see" list and then rents it, you get a bonus (10 bonuses = free rental or other incentives).

What do you folks think of these ideas?

Would you utilize on an online community for your brick and mortar store?

What would you like to see in such an online community?

3. In General

I'm curious what you consider the pros and cons of your local rental store (or netflix if you use that service). What are the things you find most rental (vhs and/or dvd) stores do that you don't find logical? That you love? What would you like to see more of? Less of?

I have many more questions. However, this is only my second post to DVDTalk so I don't want to bust in and look like a jerk. I'd appreciate any comments on the rental market, whether they address the above issues or not.

Thanks very much,

L.
Old 12-28-01, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Will your store sell cigarettes also? I like em alot
Old 12-29-01, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mensachicken, I can probably help if you want to e-mail me privately or to set a time / date to contact by phone.

Other DVDTalkers will probably help as well.
Old 12-29-01, 09:04 AM

I live in Toronto also- the idea of your store sounds intriguing as I'm also disatified with the big chains (all that we have in my neighbourhood- south Etobicoke) and their selection. I'm particularly interested in foreign and independent movies.

To be honest, if you are a considerable distance from my home, I would be more likely to buy DVDs from you or rent online. (Although if you were nearby I would rent an all region player.) A lot of DVD owners prefer to buy DVDs in preference to rental (I usually buy films I like).

As well, you might want to consider stocking Hong Kong disks, they are R0 and will play on R1 players (or any other player for that matter.)

If you decide to go ahead with this venture, please post again.
Old 12-30-01, 02:05 PM

One thing you will have to consider when buying a region-free player is how well it converts the PAL format used in other countries (Europe & Australia most notably) to the NTSC format we use here in North America. From what I've read, Malata players are best at this (and most likely more expensive) without having to buy a seperate converter for your tv. I haven't heard anything about the player you mentioned, but thenI havn't really been looking to buy a region -free player.
Old 12-30-01, 02:15 PM

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. I have two meetings with DVD "people" this week and will be bouncing ideas off them. I'm also meeting with a web programmer to see about the ideas for the site.

Speedy, I will contact you when I feel more confident in my questions and whatnot. I appreciate the offer.

Purrcey, I will be posting here when I have more details. However, if you want to be assured that you're kept informed about the goings on of the store, you should send me an email (this goes for anyone interested in ongoing details) at humanATSYMBOLalientomato.com. I will be sending out emails about every 2-3 weeks or when opinions are sought. I hope that in the next month to 6 weeks I will have a site at www.artandtrash.com that will have details about the store.

Thanks,

L.