Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Netflix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-01, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a member when they first started, and they have mature selection at the time, have they discontinued that?
Old 12-18-01, 11:40 AM
Cool New Member

CNET AD for Netflix?

It seems to me that CNET posted an article that praises Netflix's service CNET AD? . Take a look for yourself.
Old 12-18-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by parter001
I was a member when they first started, and they have mature selection at the time, have they discontinued that?
Yes. It's gone. The funny thing is that mature titles already in your queue would ship out, but you couldn't add new ones.

IIRC, one of the owners was given a political appointment to some board in California and they dropped the mature products to avoid any controversy.
Old 12-18-01, 06:14 PM

Extra one out, 30% off

Above someone mentioned that they now have 4 out but are paying for 3 out. I got an email saying that this was a temporary Christmas gift, an extra disk out over the holidays. My "4th out" shipped on 12/05.

I also see that they now offer gift certificates. You can give a 1 to 6 months membership to a new member at 30% off, and a year at 25% off.
Old 12-18-01, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by parter001
Here's the reply I got from the Netflix Taliban last September:

<Hi Jim,
Thanks for your inquiry. Please be advised that Netflix is discontinuing
its "Mature" genre, a category of DVDs consisting of softer erotic-style
films like those commonly available on cable television. Netflix has
already made the majority of titles in this genre "unavailable" and will
be working to remove all these titles from our inventory and customer
queues during the coming months.
The Mature genre represented a very small portion of our business, and
we hope our customers will find no shortage of other great DVDs from
among our collection of more than 10,000 titles.
Netflix deeply regrets any inconvenience this change may cause for our
customers.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to
contact us.

Thanks,
Abdullah
NetFlix.com
Customer Service

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

What happened to all the Mature category titles you used to stock?>
Old 12-20-01, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in Northern California, right next door to these guys, and even then I’ve been tempted to cancel because of “released to ship” delays. I haven’t yet, but their most recent screw up is making me re-think my movie addiction supplier.
They sent me a “formatted to fit your television” disc of The Mummy Returns!
I can’t access their site through the firewall here, but I could have sworn that they list it as letterbox. Either some goof in their purchasing department is going for the full screen only versions of movies that are now disturbingly being produced or they are getting both versions and making no distinction when sending them out. This wasn’t a movie that I really cared about seeing in its full glory, but it still put a sick feeling in my stomach sitting there and trying to pretend I was watching it on cable.
Old 12-20-01, 06:13 PM

Former NetFlixer

You would be happy with NetFlix if you don't mind having items being on "Released to ship" for days (sometimes it took 4). Not to mention that once you contacted them about it, they took the items off "Released to ship" and place next ones to (guess what) "Released to ship" for few more days.
IMO, That is totally cheating since that equates to a lot less than number of DVDs being out to you (Breaking the agreement to customers).
Old 12-20-01, 10:21 PM

Lost in the mail?

So what happens if you mark it lost in the mail? Do they automatically ship you out a new movie? 3 for 21.95 isn't a bad deal. I am currently with RentMyDVD after Netflix decided to jack my prices up from 19.95 - 25.95. It is now harder than ever to get a new release from RMDVD. I need some honest comments on Netflix as I am thinking about joining them again.

Let me know!

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-20-01, 10:23 PM

Re: Former NetFlixer

Originally posted by VincentHVPhan
You would be happy with NetFlix if you don't mind having items being on "Released to ship" for days (sometimes it took 4). Not to mention that once you contacted them about it, they took the items off "Released to ship" and place next ones to (guess what) "Released to ship" for few more days.
IMO, That is totally cheating since that equates to a lot less than number of DVDs being out to you (Breaking the agreement to customers).

Well if that is the case... That is what happened to me when I quit Netflix. I couldn't stand being on the "Released to ship" list, I mean for days on end.
Old 12-21-01, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Lost in the mail?

Originally posted by JesterSlack
So what happens if you mark it lost in the mail? Do they automatically ship you out a new movie? 3 for 21.95 isn't a bad deal. I am currently with RentMyDVD after Netflix decided to jack my prices up from 19.95 - 25.95. It is now harder than ever to get a new release from RMDVD. I need some honest comments on Netflix as I am thinking about joining them again.
I never had any problems getting new releases from them. That was a major complaint that they improved by buying more new releases.

If you mark a disc "lost in the mail", they do send out the next one in your queue. However, Netflix has this posted on their site:

"If the quantity of lost discs reported by a customer becomes excessive, however, we will place the account under review and notify the customer via email."

We don't know what "excessive" means yet.
Old 12-21-01, 02:18 PM

Well I certainly can't get any new releases on RMDVD lately.. So I think when my last month is up with them is next week.. so I will give them another chance.
Old 12-24-01, 10:22 AM

I have consistently been happy with Netflix, although I do rent supplemental films from other sites if Netflix doesn't have them in stock, or they are impossible to get. In determining whether I will stay a Netflix customer, I ask myself the following questions:

1) Am I able to rent enough films per month to make the program worth my while? Even with the occasional shipping delays, I am still getting about 6-7 films per month for my $20, a slightly better deal than I get with any Brick and Mortar store.

2) How does their selection stack up against the competition? While Netflix has lost a step in this regard over the past year as far as more esoteric films are concerned, they have improved substantially with regard to new releases. And I still haven't found any other single store with a better selection of *available* films.

Tom
Old 12-24-01, 11:24 AM

Tom, You are 100% correct. I think I have made up my mind. I don't think RMD has the selection that I am looking for. I admit I am demanding. But if I am paying for a service I want good service. I have been getting substandard from RMDVD lately. Too bad for them.
Old 12-30-01, 12:29 AM

Yeeeee HAAAAAAWWWWWW

Looks like Netflix just rounded up another member.. Looks like everything on my list except for tremors 3 is available.. Yes this also includes new releases.. Good Job Netflix!
Old 02-18-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Update

Originally posted by CheapBastid
I got a coupon with my dvd player that was going to expire in December, so I decided to try them.

I was pleasantly surprised.

I had heard many a rant on how badly they sucked (poor customer service response time, poor shipping time, price hikes) but my first month was pretty flawless...
I've found I don't really have the time or cash to rent nowadays so I decided to cancel. I mistakenly cancelled on the day they were set up to charge my card, so they charged my card for the next month. I e-mailed them about it and got a reply within the hour that they'd credited my card for the full amount.

I really can't recommend them any higher in regards to Customer Service as all my interactions with them have been sterling, and my limited experience with using them for rentals (4 months worth - mostly in a 2 out plan) was a dream as well. It seems that the major complaints I'd read about (and that kept me away from them for so long) aren't as prevalent as they were during their growing pains (at least they weren't apparent to me during my brief stay with them).
Old 02-19-02, 04:41 PM

Netflix has started shipping from the East Coast

I was told by a customer service rep that Netflix has started shipping from the East Coast. Does anyone know which state? I have e-mailed them about this. I'm waiting for a reply.
Old 02-19-02, 09:44 PM

I have not heard if this was ever going to be set in stone. However when I first joined Netflix, they did mention something about New York. I can not remember though. Sorry if that wasn't much help.