Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Aieee- Anyone else have problems with Ubid?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-01, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's with these people? They were suppose to ship a pair of speakers out to me, only one was sent and they charged for two speakers. Been given the run around for almost three weeks now. Will be calling my cc company to dispute the charge Monday morning. Just wondering if anyone else had similar problems.

Last edited by MonkeyG; 11-12-01 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-10-01, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm. Never tried UBid, and reading your post, I shouldn't
Old 11-10-01, 04:57 AM

AIEEEEEE! uBid is quite possibly the worst online company I have ever dealt with. They absolutely SUCK. I cannot stress that enough.

Their customer support only exists over email and they email you at least 1 week after you email them.

I ordered some Palm Pilot GPS systems.. well I got them, but was missing one. Instead, I was sent a refurbed CD player that was in a box the same exact size of the GPS box. After emailing them, they said I had to return it to them. I had absolutely no trust in them, so I shipped it myself with delivery confirmation so I would be assured that they got it without them lying. They shipped me my missing one, but they put it in a box HALF ITS SIZE. It looked like someone stepped on the box and crushed it so it could fit in their mailing box.

I have read several times about them misadvertising products, too.
Old 11-10-01, 05:01 AM

About a year ago, I had my CC # stolen from the Ubid site. Turns out it was the Ubid security software that was the problem. I believe the term that my CC company used to describe Ubid was "careless". Luckily, my CC company caught this before anything really bad happened.
Old 11-10-01, 11:09 AM

This is not good news for me. I just bought something from them last week. (worried). I hope it gets to me.
Old 11-10-01, 12:07 PM

I've purchased items from them awhile back, had no problems with them. Unfortunately, they were bought up by another company, since then their service and reputation has plummeted. Take a look at their feedback on sites such as epinions.com or consumerreview.com, it's quite frightening. I wished I had checked before I made my purchase.

I'm gearing up for a big fight. Gathering up all my paperwork, receipts, email correspondences, etc. Will be taking my fight to my credit card company. Hopefully they can help.
Old 11-10-01, 03:05 PM

uBid WAS great in the beginning. Got a new 21" monitor for $99 when it retailed for about $900 and a new $800 receiver for $240 with full 3 year warranties on both. Their return policy WAS great as well. They paid for return shipping and refunded initial shipping charges. Had no idea they were bought up by another company. They have clearly degraded over this past year. And what's up with the set reserved prices for many of their auctions now? An opportnity to get a great deal is now almost nil.

A friend of mine did buy a gas mask a month ago and although they charged him, never sent it. He's in the same process as you are in dealing with them. Btw, was it 1 speaker per box or a pair? When I ordered 2 speakers (1 per box) I got a tracking# for each box. If they only gave one, I believe it should at least say how many boxes were in the shipment.

Anyway, with the tracking# history/info provided by FedEx/UPS (which they hopefully gave), it should help make a clearer case for you with your CC company. Good luck.

Edit: Onsale.com was also a great auction site UNTIL they were bought out by Egghead.com. Now, neither exists...

Last edited by tenjin; 11-10-01 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-12-01, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by tenjin
uBid WAS great in the beginning. Got a new 21" monitor for $99 when it retailed for about $900 and a new $800 receiver for $240 with full 3 year warranties on both. Their return policy WAS great as well. They paid for return shipping and refunded initial shipping charges. Had no idea they were bought up by another company. They have clearly degraded over this past year. And what's up with the set reserved prices for many of their auctions now? An opportnity to get a great deal is now almost nil.

A friend of mine did buy a gas mask a month ago and although they charged him, never sent it. He's in the same process as you are in dealing with them. Btw, was it 1 speaker per box or a pair? When I ordered 2 speakers (1 per box) I got a tracking# for each box. If they only gave one, I believe it should at least say how many boxes were in the shipment.

Anyway, with the tracking# history/info provided by FedEx/UPS (which they hopefully gave), it should help make a clearer case for you with your CC company. Good luck.

Edit: Onsale.com was also a great auction site UNTIL they were bought out by Egghead.com. Now, neither exists...
It was one speaker per box. These were big speakers, 75lbs each, around 4 feet tall. Don't see how they could have misplaced the other one. Unbelievable the run around that I'm getting. We'll see what my credit card company can do with them this week.