Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

dvdlair.com problems?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

dvdlair.com problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-01, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dvdlair.com problems?

I was trying to order from http://www.dvdlair.com with their 30% off coupon (trivia30), but I noticed as soon as I signed in there were already 12 items in my shopping cart. And then when I tried to register, my e-mail had already been registered, or so it says. Anybody else have that problem? I mean, 30% isn't that bad a deal if you ask me, but I don't want to have my CC# floating around as a result of some penny pinching.dvdlair.com
Old 10-05-01, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, that's great! Mine only contained 3 though Makes you feel very safe buying stuff there.
Old 10-05-01, 12:52 PM

When I added stuff to my cart, it actually added another movie I wanted to buy anyway... I wonder if they do this on purpose!!! IS this coupon for real??? I can't imagine it. I ordered a ton of anime and the total was like 50% off list!!!
Old 10-05-01, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I added an item to my cart (haven't actually purchased it yet) and it was the only item in my cart....

Maybe you guys went to their site before and added those items to your shopping cart a long time ago and the cookies are still causing the items to remain on your shopping cart....or if somebody else has used the computer you're on, maybe somebody else added those items to your shopping cart...

I'm a bit weary of ordering from them since I don't know how reputable they are....I've read through the dvdlair.com-bashing thread, but I think I may order anyway just to form my own opinion....

The fact that you guys say that some items were added to your shopping cart, makes me all the more weary....but there weren't any items added to my shopping cart...

Old 10-05-01, 01:10 PM

I have never been to the site before b/c I have never heard of them and I am the only one who uses my computer. My friend is having the same problem so I guess it is a bad site. Oh well, I hope my order goes through and I don't have to get angry at them...
Old 10-05-01, 01:19 PM

A first time for everything

I placed 3 separate orders from them last week and received half of it within a few days (the rest is pre-order and one item is backordered). However, today the same thing happened to me and no, Immortal_Zeus, nobody is using my computer and I can safely say that it was not stuff I put there from before, so obviously it is a glitch.

But I can say that so far other than this glitch I've had no problems with them.
Old 10-05-01, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as I can tell is that if sign in first and then add in things, you shouldn't get the extra items. I think the cart system is messed up in that if you aren't signed in you get whatever other people buying at that time.
Old 10-05-01, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Godfather Collection from them...got it for $56.88 shipped. Thanks for the heads-up LouRavioli.

Old 10-05-01, 04:30 PM

I have a problem with DVDLair. When I try to sign up, I fill in all of my information and hit 'finish'. Every time I'm dumped back to the first sign up screen and it says that a user already registered under the email addy I entered.

The problem with this is that a) I've never registered b) I've never even been to their site before yesterday and c) I've tried three different email addresses and I get the same message.

Has anybody encountered this problem?
Old 10-05-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JinW
I have a problem with DVDLair. When I try to sign up, I fill in all of my information and hit 'finish'. Every time I'm dumped back to the first sign up screen and it says that a user already registered under the email addy I entered.

The problem with this is that a) I've never registered b) I've never even been to their site before yesterday and c) I've tried three different email addresses and I get the same message.

Has anybody encountered this problem?
I didn't have that problem...but then again, I didn't get stuff dropped into my shopping cart, either. Maybe my luck is finally changing for the better?

Old 10-05-01, 05:37 PM

Yay I got DVDLair.com to work. I don't quite know how, though. Basically I signed up unsuccessfully four times and started noticing that the shopping cart was always at 0 as opposed to showing guest orders.

I refreshed several times within the next five minutes and there were no changes, so I started adding my movies. After I did that I proceeded to checkout, entered all of my info including an email address, and everything was fine. I saved a lot of money today! I hope DVD Lair doesn't take an eternity to ship items but at $15 a disc, who's to complain if shipping is slow?

Oh yeah, and I ordered:

Fifth Element Superbit
Gundam MS 08th Team Volume 2
Final Fantasy: TSW
Star Wars Episode 1
Virgin Suicides
Old 10-06-01, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Maybe you guys went to their site before and added those items to your shopping cart a long time ago and the cookies are still causing the items to remain on your shopping cart....or if somebody else has used the computer you're on, maybe somebody else added those items to your shopping cart...

The fact that you guys say that some items were added to your shopping cart, makes me all the more weary....but there weren't any items added to my shopping cart...
Nope that's not it. I flush my cookies several times a day and found $300 worth of items in my cart on my first trip to their site.

Needless to say I didn't order anything, as I was worried about their site security. They have admitted to problems with their shopping cart system including the mixing up of carts and they say should have it fixed by Monday. They have also been billing credit cards for pre-orders and they are correcting that too.
Old 10-08-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wtf, it won't let me create an account, keeps saying every email address I try is already in use. When I go to have the password mailed to that account, it says that email address isn't registered. What a piece of crap site.
Old 10-08-01, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Jeraden
Wtf, it won't let me create an account, keeps saying every email address I try is already in use. When I go to have the password mailed to that account, it says that email address isn't registered. What a piece of crap site.
Add everything you want into your cart and when you're ready to check out, go to your shopping cart and choose to create a quick account. There should be no problems.
Old 10-08-01, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, the quick checkout worked. That 30% off is a killer deal, surprised more people aren't talking about it - just spent $450!
Old 10-09-01, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Jeraden
Thanks, the quick checkout worked. That 30% off is a killer deal, surprised more people aren't talking about it - just spent $450!
I agree about this being a quality deal. I placed my first order with them yesterday. Dropped close to $300 on 20 titles. What was even better, shipping was only $4.98 (give or take a penny)! I was concerned about some of the negative feedback I've seen about DVDLair, but this seemed like too good an opportunity to waste. I saved between 40% - 55% off the SRPs. I didn't have any problems creating an account or with the shopping cart. It's been getting more or more difficult to find a really good deals. I picked up a bunch of titles that I wanted better prices on like 3 Lord of the Rings discs and some of the Gundam Wing DVDs. Snagged some decent preorders too - Phantom Menace for just over 40%, Rush Hour 2, the Planet of the Apes TV set, Robotech Set 4, Gasaraki 7, Battle of the Planets (for $10.25 with shipping), etc.
Old 10-09-01, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, being that I'm a natural skeptic, I think I'll go buy The Godfather from Fry's for $59.99 just in case. That way, if I don't hear back from dvdlair, I'll still have The Godfather at a really good price....otherwise, if dvdlair comes through, I'll just return my copy that I bought from Fry's. (Of course that means I can't open up the one I buy from Fry's, but I wasn't really planning on watching it in the near future anyway).

Old 10-10-01, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Well, being that I'm a natural skeptic, I think I'll go buy The Godfather from Fry's for $59.99 just in case. That way, if I don't hear back from dvdlair, I'll still have The Godfather at a really good price....otherwise, if dvdlair comes through, I'll just return my copy that I bought from Fry's. (Of course that means I can't open up the one I buy from Fry's, but I wasn't really planning on watching it in the near future anyway).

I guess I don't have to do this after all, since I just got an email from them saying that my order was just shipped....