Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy's Price Matching Policy Is Not Acceptable.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-01, 07:01 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Friday, I purchased a DVD Player from BB. Then on Sunday after church, I went to Sears and noticed that they had the same DVD player for $20 cheaper. After Sears I went home to look at the Sears flyer and the dvd player was not in it. So on Monday after my last class at university, I went home to print out the price of the dvd player from Sears website and packed up my dvd player in my car, then I drove to BB to show them the price from the sears website, they said that they won't price match it, then I went back to my car and got out the dvd player and returned it and got I refund. After BB I drove across the street to the local mall and went Sears and bought the dvd player there.

I think that BB should change there price matching policy to: If a local competitor (Sears, Circuit City, etc.) has the sale of an item in their website, but is not it their flyers, we will match the price from their website.
Old 10-02-01, 07:57 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most products have a 'minimum advertised price' associated with them and thats the reason they only match advertised prices. This way BB can report any violations of the minimum price.

I'd prefer no exception price matching myself, but BB is only in it to make money.
Old 10-02-01, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kage, welcome to the forums.

From your post I can only add these thoughts:

The only retailer thus far who will match a website price in a brick and mortar (B & M) is Sears. No other company, Best Buy, Circuit, Wal-Mart, K-mart or any other will do so. Not even from their own website.

What you should have said is that Sears had the same player for $20 cheaper and asked that they call and verify that 1) Sears had the exact dvd player (Model #) 2) it was currently in stock and 3) it wasn't part of a rebate program. Most B & M's won't match rebates because they vary so much. They only match the actual price of the product.

From your post you went at it the wrong way. By following the steps above you would have received the player at $20 cheaper and saved an extra 10% in the process. You just have to know what to ask for.
Old 10-02-01, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by POWERBOMB
What you should have said is that Sears had the same player for $20 cheaper and asked that they call and verify that 1) Sears had the exact dvd player (Model #) 2) it was currently in stock and 3) it wasn't part of a rebate program. Most B & M's won't match rebates because they vary so much. They only match the actual price of the product.

From your post you went at it the wrong way. By following the steps above you would have received the player at $20 cheaper and saved an extra 10% in the process. You just have to know what to ask for.
Yep, I'll second all of that. No store in their right mind (Sears excluded, I guess) is going to honor a printout of a webpage. Too many website screw ups and photoshop doctorings to even bother with that.

Anytime you demand a pricematch, have them call the B&M and ask for the price. That's how every pricematch I've ever done goes down, with or without a flyer.
Old 10-03-01, 01:05 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

People reported success here with CC price matching their own website. Is it not correct?
Old 10-03-01, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by eau
People reported success here with CC price matching their own website. Is it not correct?
I had no success trying to get CC to price match their own website. they told me I could feel free to order it online and wait or get it now at the higher price.

great customer service
Old 10-03-01, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup CircuitCity is one of those 'Your Mileage May Vary' places. But I've generally had no problem getting them or any other B&M's to pricematch any other B&M's. In this case, Kage should have just said Sears had it in stock, not just shown Bestbuy a printout. He would have gotten the pricematch.