Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why Circuit City is Wonderful!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-01, 11:19 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh how my look on Circuit City has changed. And here is why.

1. I orignally bought an Apex (secret menu) 600 about 2 years ago. I took it back and asked them to replace it. They couldn't do that they said, but they could give me store credit. Since I had the extended warenty, this was no problem. I simply gave them the Apex, got my credit, went and bought the same model (sans the menu) for about 50 dollars cheaper, and got me some DVD's.

2. I have an AIWA shelf system that was 400 dollars about 4 years ago. I call up CC and ask them if I can get store credit for it since I have the ex. warrenty. They say no problem, bring it in. Tomorrow I get myself a new receiver and speakers with the 400 and an additional 200 I have on me.

I plan on trading up a CD-Burner I bought from them in about a year.
Old 10-01-01, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

CC has always been excellent for warranties. I remember when I was in high school I replaced my walkman 14 times over a few years because i kept breaking it. Also i have blown the 15" sub in my mustang at least 5 times since I purchased it almost 2 years ago and they always replace it with the latest model.

Their policies are great, I just think it's their incompetent staff that gets them such a bad rep. I was at my local CC about 2 weeks ago looking for an mp3 player and i asked someone where they were and he was like "I work in the Home theater department so I wouldn't know" and walked off. Friggin salesmen...
Old 10-01-01, 11:35 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this warranty that CC suports greatly the regular manufacturer's one or the extended one that you purchase from CC?
Old 10-02-01, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

extended
Old 10-02-01, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Of course they support their extended warranties. They make a freaking fortune on them. Very few customers who buy them ever use them, so they don't mind replacing stuff for the few that do use them. My policy is never to buy one. With all the money I've saved by not having an extended warranty I could easily afford to replace something that might break myself.

Of all the electronics and computer stuff I've bought all have either been defective right away while still under their regular warranty or have lasted for years and years. Extended Warranties are a rip off in my view, because most consumer electronics are designed to last a very long time.
Old 10-02-01, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Of course they support their extended warranties. They make a freaking fortune on them. Very few customers who buy them ever use them, so they don't mind replacing stuff for the few that do use them. My policy is never to buy one. With all the money I've saved by not having an extended warranty I could easily afford to replace something that might break myself.

Of all the electronics and computer stuff I've bought all have either been defective right away while still under their regular warranty or have lasted for years and years. Extended Warranties are a rip off in my view, because most consumer electronics are designed to last a very long time.
Yea, but I do buy them for portable objects and speakers, they have been a lifesaver.
Old 10-02-01, 06:17 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So If I buy a JBL speaker and blow it accidentally with a high power amp, I can get it replaced free of charge with this extended warranty?

By the same analogy, I can get a portable DVD player /w screen replaced with the current model if I accidentially dropped it in the towel bowl under the extended warranty?

Will they try to send it for repair first before replacing it with a new one?
Old 10-03-01, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Yea, but I do buy them for portable objects and speakers
Heh... Me too. I got one from Staples for my iPaq - 3 years for $50, and it even covers 1 broken screen. So if I wait a year or two when they have the 256MB Super iPaq, I can trade up for free!

eau: Depends on the merchant. With the Staples warranty, yes I can break it in just about any way and they'll fix (or more likely, replace) it. But only 1 broken screen.

Rex
Old 10-03-01, 01:56 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow! Sounds like extended warranty = cheap upgrade
Old 10-03-01, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by eau
So If I buy a JBL speaker and blow it accidentally with a high power amp, I can get it replaced free of charge with this extended warranty?

By the same analogy, I can get a portable DVD player /w screen replaced with the current model if I accidentially dropped it in the towel bowl under the extended warranty?

Will they try to send it for repair first before replacing it with a new one?
Ive blown my speaker using a 2000 watt amp many times and they replace it on the spot no questions asked. and ive dropped my dismman/walkman many times in the past, sometimes to the point where the unit was in at least 10 pieces and have gotten a BRAND NEW unit every single time right on the spot.
Old 10-03-01, 12:56 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely sounds like

extended warranty = cheap upgrade plus insurance (against damage)
Old 10-03-01, 08:21 PM

DUDE!! sounds like something a few of us can "abuse" with this 'extended warranty' stuff. yea, i pay quite a bit in advance but i can plan ahead and get a better / newer model after a year by probably "accidentally" breaking the warranted products...., heeeeeee. sly sly sly... i see horns on my head with a wiggly tail....
Old 10-03-01, 08:29 PM

ooh ooh.., does this also work on big appliances such as washing machine and fridge? not that they go out in a year or two...!! :-/
Old 10-03-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well now that our secret's out on DVDTalk, i wouldnt be surprised to see them change their policy soon
Old 10-03-01, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by wakanaiyo
ooh ooh.., does this also work on big appliances such as washing machine and fridge? not that they go out in a year or two...!! :-/
i think CC stopped selling that stuff
Old 10-03-01, 10:06 PM

hmm.., i would think about the policy change..., but since in this day and age with economy being sooooo friggin bad, any policy change that reflects negatively to the consumers will usually backfire. i see more and more discounts in places, lower airfare, lower hotel rates, and with economists predicting a recession, who knows what else will come down. this is sad news for me more than anything. my stocks ain't worth crap these days...!!! >