Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is it common to have this much trouble at switchhouse?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-27-01, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I placed an order using the savings coupon, an hour later the seller cancelled my order claiming that his cats had destroyed the dvd. They placed credit into my account online but didn't give me credit for the coupon. I emailed several times and never got a response then I went to the live help and was told they would reinstate the coupon, still doesn't work. My son placed an order with them two months ago and never got his dvd either, his seller doesn't respond to emails. If I can't find anything to spend my credit on will they eventually put the money back into my credit card or will I have to dispute the charges with my them?
Old 09-27-01, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switchhouse is a Den of Thieves

Help with Switchhouse.com?

Switchhouse customer service stinks

I've never read anything good about them (that wasn't written by Switchhouse.com).
Old 09-27-01, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switchouse is the biggest waste of time I've ever encountered. I honestly can't figure out how anyone has managed to complete more than about 10 trades without giving up out of frustration unless they are total suckers.

When I first found out about it I spent a good portion of time adding all my for trade items to my list and putting down everything I wanted to trade for. Then I started proposing trades to people. Half the people seem to be MIA as you never hear back from them. The others just decline your trade request with no reason given. I'd say I offered probably 30 different extremely fair trades, some even biased in the other persons favor, and they get declined. Then you get the idiots that counter-offer you by proposing some totally off-balance trade that suggests you give them 2 dvds for their 1 dvd when they are of equal value.

Out of all my troubles I never did complete a trade, I did manage to outright buy a few things from people, and sell 1 item to a person but that was it.
Old 09-27-01, 08:53 PM

My experiences were mostly positive except when Switchouse banned all non US accounts. I'm an international trader and now mostly trade thru DVDtalk or sell thru ebay...

I totally agree with Jeraden that there are a lot of jerks on Switchouse who don't seem to want to trade stuff they have listed. I also kept getting ridiculous trade offers for rare OOP title I had listed. Ended up ebaying them to new homes
Old 09-29-01, 12:37 AM

My own experiences with Switchouse have been mostly positive as well (and I am not a Switchouse employee nor, hopefully, a total sucker). I have completed over 100 transactions and met some truly wonderful and responsible traders in the process. And then there are the bad apples...

In my experience their on-line customer service stinks. Recently though I called them with a problem at (415) 970-8600 (asked for customer service) and spoke with a CSR who listened to my problem, took my phone no., researched the situation and called me back with an answer in 20 minutes.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-01-01, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I am happy to report that switchhouse made good on my coupon. I went on live help. The first person said they'd reinstate the coupon but it didn't work so I went back in live help and spoke to "answerman" who put a five dollar credit into my account. Now does anyone know how I use the credit? I go to checkout and I only have the option of my visa showing. If I don't buy anything will they eventually put the money back into my visa account?

Last edited by Don Catchpole; 10-01-01 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-01-01, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Don Catchpole
Now does anyone know how I use the credit? If I don't buy anything will they eventually put the money back into my visa account?
If you click on "My Account" in the upper right corner of your Switchouse screen it will take you to the page where you can modify your settings.

Under the "Account Transfer Preference: How do you want to get paid?" tab, select, "I want my money credited to my Credit Card" and click the "Edit" button.

This should result in your credit card getting credited before too long.
Old 10-01-01, 08:52 PM
Banned

I usually use Switchouse to find suckers who are willing to trade for old versions of dvds(i.e Mummy CE, American CE, The Rock non-criterion, Dogma non-SE)