Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix Anyone still with them, have they gotten better?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Netflix Anyone still with them, have they gotten better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-01, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's really too bad that they are having problems with unreturned anime disks, and I can understand why that might disincent them from getting more. I have to disagree with the their claim that they are trying to obtain more, tho.

< excerpt below from a post I made to the RMDVD thread, sorry if you've already seen this, but I should have put it in this thread to begin with>

Like I said before, if they have a DVD you want to see, I had no complaints (I'm pretty patient, and was happy averaging 4-6 disks a month).

There was another thread (I haven't been able to find) which lists all of the series they abandoned. Here are some titles I remember (just looked up), and the # disks they have/ # disks released to date - date last disk they do have was released (*=I purchased the whole dang series cause I was hooked and left hanging):

Rurouni Kenshin 4/11 - 11/14/2000
Escaflowne 4/8 - 2/06/01*
Neon Genesis Evangelion Collection 0:3 3/8 - 1/23/2001*
Cardcaptor Sakura 2/(1,2,3,5) - 01/16/2001*
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 3/6 - 01/23/2001*
Dual (1,3)/4 - 02/27/2001
Gasaraki 4/6 - 05/01/2001*
Gundam Wing 5/10 - 01/30/2001*
Jubei Chan 2/4 - 10/03/2000
Martian Successor Nadesico 3/6 - 01/23/2001
Outlaw Star Collection 1/3 - 10/03/2000*
Tenchi Universe 6/8 - 01/30/2001

So please enjoy the heck out of Cowboy Beebop, Trigun, Battle Athletes Victory/OVA, Tenchi in Tokyo, Blue Sub #6, and the many other series they DO carry all titles of. And by the time you get through them all, hopefully they or RMDVD will carry these other series in their entirety, plus the new stuff being released. But aside from Akira, I haven't seen Netflix add an anime title since Trigun #8 (5/29/2001).

Just don't get stuck like I was, with a choice between not seeing a story to its end and spending $100's on series I would have been content to just rent.
Old 10-10-01, 08:24 PM

All these complaints about titles stuck in "released to ship" are odd - I haven't had any problems. Maybe it's just certain titles.

I'm lucky enough to live near them so usually I drop my DVDs in the mail, they get it the next day and send out my next title. Sometimes it'll take a couple days, depending on the timing.
Old 10-11-01, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by larryw
All these complaints about titles stuck in "released to ship" are odd - I haven't had any problems. Maybe it's just certain titles.
We've been long time members and never used to have any problems at all with "released to ship". They would always ship the next day. It's just in the last couple of weeks it's become a problem with 3-4 day delays. They have also put this on their website in the FAQ:

"an order can be in the Released to Ship status for up to 5 days".
Old 10-12-01, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I too had "Mummy returns" in "released to ship" for a couple days; and I've had "Beautiful Creatures" in that lineup since MONDAY!!! (It's Friday now) They're definitely getting worse with this, I'm questioning my commitment to them. Anyone try this "DVDOvernight" business, anyone know if they're better?
Old 10-12-01, 04:11 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Netflix Anyone still with them, have they gotten better?

Originally posted by jpcamb
As much as this company screwed up and lacked in service, I'm starting to miss the rentals as I'm not buying as much these days and don't frequent BB.

Has Netflix gotten better since their last price hike before the summer or are they always out of stock on new titles still?
The thing that has got me PO'ed lately is the damaged DVD's. We get a few people over to see a long dvd like Men of Honor and an hour into it, it freezes/skips. Moving ahead a few fixes it for a few minutes! IF I return it as unplayable (which I did) why do they count it as a dvd I have out!! I know I asked for a new one, but the LEAST they could do was let me have the damn 5 out to make up for killing the evening...too late to start anything else!

Just what the heck do people do with the DVD's to damage them?
I know Netflix does not CAUSE this damage, but it would be nice if they inspected them! I had 1 that had chunks out! Not just scratches!
Old 10-17-01, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i just signed up for netflix friday, was hard pressed to find 3 dvd i wanted but i did. i rented romper stomper, north by northwest and outland. they emailed me that they where shiped on sunday or monday, i forget. but i got two of em today (wed) much better then their eta which was this coming friday. however i realized romper stomper isn't romper stomper the movie but just the 2nd disc bonus stuff. i guess if i was more careful i might have noticed this but why would i assume that they rent dvd set by disc and not title? their selection was rough, i didn't like the lay out. and since they got rid of (what was it cult, or adult cult or something?) section, there really is no need for them, new releases i either have no desire to see, or i want to own them, or my local dvd renter will have them. netflix only apeal for me was being able to see hard to find cult/horror dvd that if i wanted to see i had to buy and risk wasting me money on something that sucked. well i plan to have these two dvd headed back to them in tomorrows mail and asap when the 3rd gets here and then cancel.

i think it will be quite sometime until i look back into renting dvds by mail.
Old 10-17-01, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts
Both netflix and rentmydvd use the "two discs sets are two separate rentals" policy and I hate that. DVDOvernight handles them as one set, -even when its three discs! However, (to answer a previous post), while they had "Mummy Returns (but, heck, your local gas station probably rents that!) they didn't carry "Beautiful Creatures". Their selection isn't bad (they carry Criterions that Netflix and rentmydvd don't), but they are more costly if you rent and return a lot of discs in a month. They also list quite a few titles in their "upcoming releases" that never show up. Also, their shipping time has slowed by half, at least in this neck of the woods (The Midwest).
Old 10-19-01, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just cancelled last week. Got sick of the two + weeks turn around time on titles. The released to ship is a HUGE scam. They have MAJOR internal problems - most titles get to me within three days of when I get the actual shipment notice, but it takes a good 6-10 days for my return to be processed. Hmmm.

Also, in 8 months of being a member, I had to report 6 titles as "lost" - coincidentally, they were all "lost" because Netflix didn't process my return - I received all of them. Sounds like they need to keep a better eye on their employees.
Old 10-19-01, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by jkzahn
Just cancelled last week. Got sick of the two + weeks turn around time on titles. The released to ship is a HUGE scam. They have MAJOR internal problems - most titles get to me within three days of when I get the actual shipment notice, but it takes a good 6-10 days for my return to be processed. Hmmm.

Also, in 8 months of being a member, I had to report 6 titles as "lost" - coincidentally, they were all "lost" because Netflix didn't process my return - I received all of them. Sounds like they need to keep a better eye on their employees.
It's definitely a better service for those on the west coast. I live in SoCal, and usually if I return a movie on Monday, they get it on Wednesday, ship a new one out within a day, and I get it on Friday or Saturday.

They really need to open up distribution centers elsewhere, especially since they are now partnered with BestBuy (more exposure).

One point about Released to Ship; I wonder if it's related to marking movies "Delayed"? Say the title you want is marked delayed by the person who has it. Netflix moves it into your queue as "Released to Ship" (basically reserving it for you when it comes in), but if the person marked it the same day he dropped it in the mail, it will take longer to actually get shipped to you.
Old 10-23-01, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by jkzahn
Do you guys know how many "lost" titles are you generally allowed before they start to get on your case? I read the other Netlfix post about one guy having 9 lost ones and they threatened him with possible legal action!. That sounded alarming. I haven't had one single disc lost (been with them for a year) but I just have that annoying-ass local mailman who gets nosy (see above posts).
Old 10-31-01, 05:30 PM

I am the one with 9 DVDs lost on him in 14 months. After I raised a question by e-mail about looooong DVD delays, they cancelled my account because of what they believe as constituting fraud after reviewing my history with them. They do not believe my story that the lost discs were never received, which is indeed the case. I called customer service and the rep said that: they possibly want me to pay for some/all of the missing 9 ($33 each; they've already charged my credit card for $700, which includes discs I most recently rented out), and they almost certainly want me to sign an agreement stating that I would not sign up for a new account again or else face "consequences". My recent $43 rental month where I received only 6-8 discs because of delays and cancellation seemed out of discussion, since they are convinced that I have committed fraudulent activity. What seems to be hurting my case is that I cancelled my account and restarted a new one 3 times. The first time was after 6 months, the next after 3, then the subsequent time was after another 2. I only did this because because lost discs were blocking up my "not yet received" slots, which I need for speeding up delivery. They are deadset in their belief that I did this cancelling/restarting stuff in order to keep the lost DVDs, which just isn't so. I have rented a LOT of titles, somewhere between 100-200 discs, so I don't understand why they can't accept the fact that 9 of them were misdirected from my address.

How is that I hear of people who are able to report DVDs as lost and keep them without any trouble, while I am facing so much trouble for only 9 (truly) lost discs in over a year? Maybe part of the problem is that I am simply not good at negotiating with their customer service; they are giving me hell and dictating the rules, and not vice versa. I don't know whether what they are threatening against me has factual truth or is just meant as a frightening tactic. Should I refuse to pay for the lost DVDs and it came down to court, would they have enough of a "case" to defeat me? They are completely taking advantage of me here, which is upsetting. Has anyone else been in this position before? If someone could give me some advice on I should proceed, I would really, really appreciate it. I am in high school, and my parents do not have adequate enough English to handle this situation.
Also, is there another online rental service that has Netflix's selection (i.e. Criterions) and general pricing? I seem to be banned for life from Netflix after all. I am getting royally screwed by them, so forgive me when I say "F*** Netflix!"

Last edited by Elastica; 10-31-01 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-01-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never had a problem with Netflix. I've been using it for the past 6 months.

One thing most people need to understand is when using a service like this there is a middleman (USPS). While performing a important task between the Netflix and customer, the USPS is still not responsible for any way with the disc. If a disc gets lost in the mail USPS doesn't really have to answer to anyone. Both parties are out of luck.