Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does Amazon ship larger orders UPS?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-01, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got Simpsons, Citizen Kane and 3 others on order from Amazon next week (Standard Shipping). Recently I got the Emma Peel set from DDD and even though I requested USPS Priority they sent it UPS because of the weight (but that's another thread). The problem is I always get my DVDs shipped to my PO box. Has anyone gotten an order of 8 or 9 DVDs from Amazon? Did they ship it by mail or UPS?
Old 09-19-01, 07:50 AM

I usually get mine by UPS. Amazon tends to use UPS for larger orders.
Old 09-19-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have two separate orders from Amazon currently being shipped by UPS and USPS. The UPS order has only two DVDs, while the USPS order consist of five DVDs. They usually ship most of my orders UPS from past experience.
Old 09-19-01, 06:00 PM

Thanks Collin and LASERMOVIES. I guess I'd better drain off a couple and tell them to ship what's on hand.
Old 09-20-01, 12:06 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can call amazon and get the CSR to put a remark in your order as to whether you prefer to ship the order by UPS or USPS. I have done it once when the CSR said he would put in a remark to ship by USPS and the order did ship by USPS.
Old 09-20-01, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unfortunately yes..
Old 09-20-01, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For me, its random. I get UPS, Priority Mail and Media Mail from Amazon. In fact, the quickest order came media mail.

Weird.
Old 09-20-01, 05:53 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon shipped my DVD on Monday and I received it on Wednesday. It sure was fast...

For those who ordered multiple DVDs and they came in an oversized box, were your DVDs held in place by plastic shrink onto a cardboard inside the box? Or were they loose in the box filled with some airbags? Amazon used to send my multiple DVDs with plastic shrink, and for the past couple of months they sent mine with airbags only. Loose DVDs in the mail = Higher risk of damage
Old 09-20-01, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by eau
Amazon shipped my DVD on Monday and I received it on Wednesday. It sure was fast...

For those who ordered multiple DVDs and they came in an oversized box, were your DVDs held in place by plastic shrink onto a cardboard inside the box? Or were they loose in the box filled with some airbags? Amazon used to send my multiple DVDs with plastic shrink, and for the past couple of months they sent mine with airbags only. Loose DVDs in the mail = Higher risk of damage
I received one of my Amazon orders today after two days when it was shipped. Looks like it was shipped by media mail. Waiting on another order shipped UPS that has taken six days, and tracking estimates delivery tomorrow. I wish Amazon would give an option of either UPS or USPS for shipping instead of their random choices.

I got the air bags again in my box but they arrived undamaged. I prefer the shrinkwrap myself since they were more secure. I think I will complain to customer service about the packing. Maybe they would change this method of packing if more complaints were received.
Old 09-21-01, 10:22 AM

All of my shipments from Amazon that have 2 or 3 DVDs have come both shrink-wrapped to the bottom of the box AND filled with air bags. They've all been from either their Coffeyville KS or Campbellsville KY hub.
Old 09-21-01, 12:52 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My recent order that came from KY didn't have shrinkwrap but airbags only. My last order from NV did have shrinkwrap.

The shrinkwrap offers the best secure shipping for boxset. The airbags doesn't prevent boxset from bruising itself when it can move freely within the box.

I hope that the hub(s) in question only ran out of the shrinkwrap thing temporarily and that they don't intend to eliminate it for good.