Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Official "I Hate Blockbuster" Thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.
View Poll Results: WHAT IS YOUR OPINION OF BLOCKBUSTER
I Hate Blockbuster
83.33%
I Love Blockbuster
16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-01, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a thread to express your dislike for Blockbuster and against all the negative things this anti-consumer store represents.

I know I'm not alone in my dislike for this store. A store, which tries to use blackmail to increase DVD prices, pushes for P/S formats and is generally a video industry bully.

Blockbuster's motto should be "More Money, More Blackmail, More Unhappy Customers Each And Every Day".

Come on, I know you're out there...Express your feelings for Blockbuster right here and now.
Old 09-09-01, 02:21 AM

i like their web site. but at their B&M, the staff has sucked arse. so rude and clueless
Old 09-09-01, 03:48 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What do you expect? The staff is merely paid minimum wages by a blood sucking company who cares less about its customer and its staff.
Old 09-09-01, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blockbuster is what it is. The same complaints about them could be said about any other national chain store. If you don't like them, don't rent from them. I don't see why people spend so much time complaining, conspirazing, and talking about them.
Old 09-09-01, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by renaldow
Blockbuster is what it is. The same complaints about them could be said about any other national chain store. If you don't like them, don't rent from them. I don't see why people spend so much time complaining, conspirazing, and talking about them.
Perhaps it's because Blockbuster spends so much effort trying to squeeze more money out of the consumer through its threats and such. It's well known that they have threatened not to carry certain titles if new DVD release prices aren't raised. Let's face it; Blockbuster is a company, which actively goes out of its way to attack consumers. Therefore, I see no problem going out of my way to attack Blockbuster.

Anyway, you're also entitled to an opinion. I disagree with that opinion, but so what.
Old 09-09-01, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought about making the OFFICIAL ANTI BLOCKBUSTER thread a month ago.. but didnt' want to get flamed. Knowing my luck everyone would suddenly love blockbuster.

I haven't been in one in two weeks, so i'm not in a ran mood, but next time they charge me $84.50 to rent "The firm" I'll be sure to come in here and yell.

I'm still waiting for my GC's and rentals from the Class action form i mailed in That will be a great mail day Probably not until 2002, cause they dont' start settling up till the end of the year.
Old 09-10-01, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts
And, of course, here's the official "I Hate Blockbuster" website.

www.ihateblockbuster.com

(I believe this site was started by one of our members.)
Old 09-10-01, 01:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The problem with this poll is that it assumes one must either love or hate Blockbuster. I don't go there, and I don't care either way.
Old 09-10-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Vampyr
Perhaps it's because Blockbuster spends so much effort trying to squeeze more money out of the consumer through its threats and such. It's well known that they have threatened not to carry certain titles if new DVD release prices aren't raised. Let's face it; Blockbuster is a company, which actively goes out of its way to attack consumers. Therefore, I see no problem going out of my way to attack Blockbuster.

Anyway, you're also entitled to an opinion. I disagree with that opinion, but so what.
Blockbuster is doing what just about every other company trying to exert it's power in the market place does. Judging from the sentiment here I'd assume people wouldn't be buying gasoline or groceries at major retail chains because in their own way, they do the same to worse as what Blockbuster is doing with rentals.

It's a free country, and you have the right to b**** about whatever you please, I'm just amazed that so many people here complain so readily about a store they seemingly do not shop at. It really makes no sense.
Old 09-12-01, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by renaldow

Blockbuster is doing what just about every other company trying to exert it's power in the market place does. Judging from the sentiment here I'd assume people wouldn't be buying gasoline or groceries at major retail chains because in their own way, they do the same to worse as what Blockbuster is doing with rentals.

It's a free country, and you have the right to b**** about whatever you please, I'm just amazed that so many people here complain so readily about a store they seemingly do not shop at. It really makes no sense.
Blockbuster deliberately uses their own definition of "rental day" and then have their employees convince consumers that a Blockbuster "rental day" is a better deal than the "traditional" rental day.

You think it really makes no sense to complain about a store we do not shop at? I would agree with you if Blockbusters' tactics didn't effect non-customers. You may think differently if you knew the influence that Blockbuster has over the video rental/purchase market...and what they have in store for the future.

Let's see how everyone will feel about Blockbuster when rental pricing, forced adverts, editted-for-content, and forced P&S become the DVD norm.
Old 09-12-01, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by sracer

Blockbuster deliberately uses their own definition of "rental day" and then have their employees convince consumers that a Blockbuster "rental day" is a better deal than the "traditional" rental day.

You think it really makes no sense to complain about a store we do not shop at? I would agree with you if Blockbusters' tactics didn't effect non-customers. You may think differently if you knew the influence that Blockbuster has over the video rental/purchase market...and what they have in store for the future.

Let's see how everyone will feel about Blockbuster when rental pricing, forced adverts, editted-for-content, and forced P&S become the DVD norm.

Well Said! Well Said!