Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My worst Best Buy experience...EVER! (long rant)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.
View Poll Results: If this happened to you what would you have done?
Did the same thing as I did.
44.83%
Cussed her out like only a Sailor could.
6.90%
Walked out without buying the DVDs.
8.62%
Called her a dumb Be-atch several times.
10.34%
twikoff
29.31%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

My worst Best Buy experience...EVER! (long rant)

Old 08-23-01, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally posted by Knives
Seems like all of you need to go here..........

http://www.bestbuysux.org/

That's my home page.
Old 08-23-01, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The part of this story that counfounds me the most is the cashier actually overriding the scanned price to a higher price. A cashier should never assume a higher price. If there is a question, the cashier should, if anything, assume the lower price.
Old 08-27-01, 01:53 PM

Dude...

That is a mild Best Buy story...

You want a good one?

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/001404.html
Old 08-27-01, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you didnt overreact-most of BB's employees are morons anyway-the only way to handle morons is to treat them like &*%*heads that they are
Old 08-27-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The thing that gets me the most is the cashier actually went and tried to charge you MORE than what it rang up as...I've never seen that before anywhere.
Old 08-27-01, 09:34 PM
Cool New Member

Best Buy gives me a headache

I still go there, because they do have good prices and selection, but sometimes just the thought of dealing with some of those people really gets to me. My dad, a loyal Best Buy shopper for years, has had so many negative experiences I don't know why he goes back. (I'm sure I'll hear more ranting come Christmas.) I have a few little tidbits of my own to share:
Last year, I decided to buy my boyfriend a DVD player. I went with one of my friends, and knew exactly what I wanted. The employee didn't bother me too much, and having worked in retail myself I tried not to let him annoy me. However, he kept pressuring me to get that stupid extended warranty/service plan. When it finally came time to check out, first of all, the player was not ringing up the right price. Then I had a coupon which was not working either. Around this time, he asked if I had decided to take the service plan. I said no, and was very polite about it. He looked at me in disbelief and said in his snottiest voice, "Fine, but you'll be sorry!" I was so horrified at him, that I replied, "Is that a threat?" and he said, "No, but you will be when after using it for a month or two, the laser malfunctions and then you won't have the warranty to fall back on." I said, "I'll take my chances." Now, what kind of sales method is that, when a salesperson is basically promising that the thing will break soon? (It's still perfectly fine, by the way.)
Then, just about a month ago, I bought a DVD player for myself. I was not bothered by the salespeople after I said I knew exactly what I was getting, so they get some points for that. However, TWO WEEKS LATER, I saw my exact same DVD player in the sales ad, and it came with a coupon booklet, which I figured if I brought my receipt, they would probably just give me one. I also wanted to get a specific DVD that said on the Best Buy website it was "in stock". So when I got there, I couldn't find any free salespeople in the DVD player area to ask about the coupon booklet. I combed the whole store looking for someone, finally finding one who said "Oh, that's not my department", telling me to go back over there. Finally I found someone, who said he had no idea what I was talking about but that he'd send someone over to me who knew about it. No one ever came. This sales guy SAW ME STANDING AROUND WAITING, and never said "Oh, did anyone help you?" He just ignored me and helped other customers. I got so mad that I just left, running into the original person who told me that 'wasn't his department'. He actually asked if I'd been helped and I told him. He took it upon himself to help me, and came back telling me there WERE no coupon booklets left. Highly doubtful, but it wasn't that important. Then I asked him about the DVD I planned on getting, because it wasn't on the shelf. He looked it up on the website and said "oh I guess you'll just have to order it from the site" and I go, "can't I just get it here?" and he said if I ordered from the site I could get it delivered there. When I went to the site myself, it won't LET me deliver here (Peoria.) It won't let me click on the location.
This, I suppose, is not as annoying of a situation as some people's, but it's irritating, nonetheless. I spent at least 15 minutes with no one helping me, and when that guy finally did (and I am happy he at least cared), he really couldn't tell me anything. I was back to square one.
anyway, I guess I just wanted to vent. I worked in retail myself for about 5 years (Walgreens), which can be an annoying corporation as well, but at least in our store we helped customers and if we didn't know the answer to something, WE FOUND OUT.
Old 11-23-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: My worst Best Buy experience...EVER! (long rant)

Originally Posted by Knives
Seems like all of you need to go here..........

http://www.bestbuysux.org/
Was this site always a BB advertisement?
Old 11-23-14, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 242 Posts

I wonder if the OP is still upset, 13 years later.
Old 11-23-14, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I wonder if the OP is still upset, 13 years later.
Considering he paid that much for Enemy at the Gate, I'd think so.
Old 11-23-14, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts

Well, the original complaint isn't as big a problem nowadays, seeing that they hardly have any DVDs (or movies in any format) to sell now!
Old 12-07-14, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Well, the original complaint isn't as big a problem nowadays, seeing that they hardly have any DVDs (or movies in any format) to sell now!
Very well said! The first several times I went there (to the one in Greenville, SC on Woodruff Rd.), they had almost any old television series you could imagine (I purchased quite a few from there before). Now, their selection has practically dwindled to where if they have any at all, it's only new and current shows (no older ones); I saw this the last time I went there with my nephew.
Old 12-07-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Medium size rant at best.
Old 12-07-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure why these Best Buy threads have been bumped recently. I actually had a pretty happy experience the other day; went to buy a TV that was supposed to come with a $100 gift card. The gift card didn't ring up, so the supervisor just took $100 off the price which works much better for me anyway. No questions asked and no fuss.
Old 12-07-14, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to go to BB several times a week. Now it's several times a year. When they use to stock up on DVDs and CDs I'd be a regular customer and when I need a new major appliance they'd be the first place I'd go. Since they don't stock up on the small stuff, they're out of site and out of mind for me. Example, I just bought a new oven today, I didn't even think of going there to look. Not purposely ignoring them, I'm just out of the routine of going there.
Old 12-08-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

I honestly haven't been inside a Best Buy since about 2010, although I have ordered some stuff online from them.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 06-11-15 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-19-14, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 752 Likes on 615 Posts

I ordered Guardians of the Galaxy online and it was mailed in a mailer and it was impossible to open even with a scissor.

When I did puncture it with my thumb the glue was sticking to the shrinkwrap of the blu-ray and tore parts of the shrinkwrap and left glue residue all over.

Unbelievable and I ordered several Blu-rays and they could not ship them all in one box instead of 5 separate shipments!!!
Old 12-19-14, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I ordered Guardians of the Galaxy online and it was mailed in a mailer and it was impossible to open even with a scissor.

When I did puncture it with my thumb the glue was sticking to the shrinkwrap of the blu-ray and tore parts of the shrinkwrap and left glue residue all over.

Unbelievable and I ordered several Blu-rays and they could not ship them all in one box instead of 5 separate shipments!!!
I'd rather have an overly secure package for my stuff than the shit amazon does with those boxes that can opened on the ends just by snagging anything on it and then pulling.

I had a great order in one of those where I ordered a bunch of super strong magnets and they decided to merge that order with another one that was electronics. Magnets had been coming out of the package before I got it, since it's not really a closed package, and the mailman stuck all the loose ones to the inside of the mailbox in a blob. As for the electronics, there's a reason you don't put strong magnets next to electronics but apparently that's to complex for an Amazon worker to figure out.
Old 06-11-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I honestly haven't been inside a Best Buy since about 2010, although I have ordered some stuff online from them.
Commenting on my own earlier post...I actually went into a local BB for the first time in a long time this past weekend (I wasn't looking for anything there, but it's next to a Toys R Us and Barnes and Noble I was going to)...and WOW...when did they nix all the movies and video games?

There was MAYBE 50 different Blu-rays and 25 different video games in the entire store. Everything else was spaced out make it look like they had a lot, but even the TV and laptop selections were much smaller than I've ever seen before. The whole store now has a warehouse feel to it because there's a ton of open walking space.

Is this happening/has it happened to everyone's Best Buy? Definitely my last trip there...no reason to ever go back if that's the kind of movie and game selection they have these days.
Old 06-11-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 181 Posts

Yes, and it happened a year or three ago. I'm certain there was a thread, but I'm far too lazy to go look for it.
Old 06-11-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Commenting on my own earlier post...I actually went into a local BB for the first time in a long time this past weekend (I wasn't looking for anything there, but it's next to a Toys R Us and Barnes and Noble I was going to)...and WOW...when did they nix all the movies and video games?

There was MAYBE 50 different Blu-rays and 25 different video games in the entire store. Everything else was spaced out make it look like they had a lot, but even the TV and laptop selections were much smaller than I've ever seen before. The whole store now has a warehouse feel to it because there's a ton of open walking space.
It's been an ongoing shrinkage. I hope you're exaggerating about the 50 different blu-rays; the stores near me, while the floor space for media has been shrinking, aren't that small yet. The average is, I think, probably about 25' x 25' allotted for DVDs, blu-rays, and CDs. Remember back, fifteen or so years ago, when the whole middle of the store was aisles of CDs?

The reason there's so much open space is because they're sort of leasing their store out to companies like Samsung, so in the middle of the store there's a big space devoted to Samsung tablets and stuff.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Best Buy has different 'types' of stores depending on the location. So some stores are going to have more media, some will have more TVs, and some have more appliances. These aren't advertised anywhere, so you won't know what kind of store it is until you go in.
Old 06-11-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Around here, the Barnes and Noble has more media in the store than the Best Buy does. I assume this is at least partly due to Barnes and Noble selling their media for list price.
Old 06-11-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Yes, and it happened a year or three ago. I'm certain there was a thread, but I'm far too lazy to go look for it.
Yeah, I did try to find an appropriate thread, but couldn't.
Old 06-11-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's been an ongoing shrinkage. I hope you're exaggerating about the 50 different blu-rays
They had a single carboard standee with four shelves, and about room for 6 Blu-rays (and maybe four copies of each release) across on each side of the standee. So I guess that's about 24 different Blu-rays on each side...or about 48 on both sides. I should have snapped a shot with my phone - it was unbelievably small...one side new releases, one side sale titles. No catalog section and no DVDs anywhere...just Blu-rays.
Old 06-11-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,939 Posts

They had a single carboard standee with four shelves, and about room for 6 Blu-rays (and maybe four copies of each release) across on each side of the standee. So I guess that's about 24 different Blu-rays on each side...or about 48 on both sides. I should have snapped a shot with my phone - it was unbelievably small...one side new releases, one side sale titles. No catalog section and no DVDs anywhere...just Blu-rays.
Did you go through the whole store? One of the Best Buys I go to moved all of their DVDs, BRs, and CDs to a back corner of the store, sort of hidden away. The first time I went in after the move, I couldn't find them anywhere and thought they discontinued carrying them altogether. Wasn't until a few weeks later that I actually found them.

If they really did get rid of them, I hope it isn't a harbinger of things to come. Before long, Best Buy will be nothing but iPhone cases, printer ink, and refrigerators.
Old 06-12-15, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this happening/has it happened to everyone's Best Buy? Definitely my last trip there...no reason to ever go back if that's the kind of movie and game selection they have these days.
Not everywhere. There are a couple of different sized DVD/Blu displays in the 5 stores in the south-west Los Angeles area that I go to, but all of them have at least 1000+ titles. The larger sized store that I most frequent has 8 1/2 long rows of titles, plus 4 stand alone "permanent" displays, lots of end caps and a few more temp. displays. There's a lot more spacing out of titles and the size of the section is definitely down from say 5 years ago, but not anything nearly so bad as what you and others are reporting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.