Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Barnes & Noble cancel all Flooz orders!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Barnes & Noble cancel all Flooz orders!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thing I don't like about this is, there's two whole months before my preorder ships. If they're going to change their minds about honoring the Flooz every few hours, I'm going to go through A LOT of mood changes.
Old 08-14-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dr_Evil

I still think that unless you call and talk to the right person you aren't going to get anything. I sent a very harsh email to them just a few minutes ago. If I haven't heard from them by this time tomorrow, I will call again and demand to talk to everyone's supervisor.
Is that Mr Barnes, or Mr Noble?
Old 08-14-01, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by LBPound23
The thing I don't like about this is, there's two whole months before my preorder ships. If they're going to change their minds about honoring the Flooz every few hours, I'm going to go through A LOT of mood changes.
Exactly...that's what I told them on the phone. I got the canned "Your order will ship as soon as we have it in stock, don't worry" response. Whatever. I am in on one of the REAL long shots, Sopranos Season 2, which ships, um, um, in November.
Old 08-14-01, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't understand why everyone is so upset with B&N. Do you think they would should honor the purchase if it was done with a Visa card that was canceled after the order? Why should a company take a loss because of another company going under? I agree they have been giving mixed signals, but it doesn't change the fact that if they don't get paid, they should not have to send out the order. Seems to me your beef should be with Flooz, not B&M...

Also thought this was funny from the first page...
After firing away my soliloquy, she told me that there was simply an error in processing the order...
I'm sure the CS would have been very perplexed if "jiggyblau" actually fired away a soliloquy.

Last edited by cpgator; 08-14-01 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-14-01, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cpgator
I don't understand why everyone is so upset with B&N. Do you think they would should honor the purchase if it was done with a Visa card that was canceled after the order? Why should a company take a loss because of another company going under? I agree they have been giving mixed signals, but it doesn't change the fact that if they don't get paid, they should not have to send out the order. Seems to me your beef should be with Flooz, not B&M...
But the thing is it's not like our credit cards were cancelled...because we did nothing wrong. I know it's your example. Sure, I'm mad at Flooz even more so than B & N, but it shouldn't be a matter of your Flooz is no good here even though when you placed your order it was good, because your item will not be shipped until October. They deducted the Flooz, it was good, they said they'd honor it, the site said they'd honor past Flooz purchases....they have to make good on their word.
Old 08-14-01, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by LBPound23

But the thing is it's not like our credit cards were cancelled...because we did nothing wrong. I know it's your example. Sure, I'm mad at Flooz even more so than B & N, but it shouldn't be a matter of your Flooz is no good here even though when you placed your order it was good, because your item will not be shipped until October. They deducted the Flooz, it was good, they said they'd honor it, the site said they'd honor past Flooz purchases....they have to make good on their word.
Exactly. When they agreed that $75 of my order was to come from flooz, I am no longer responsible for paying that $75, it is between BN and flooz. If they didn't want to accept these circumstances might have happened they should not have accepted flooz in the first place. Have any other companies cancelled or refused to ship orders or preorders?
Old 08-14-01, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you're truly serious about boycotting B&N, I've posted a boycott thread at: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=133841

I was given one story last night and another story this morning. The service reps do not know what they are saying.
Old 08-14-01, 12:53 PM

Also thought this was funny from the first page... I'm sure the CS would have been very perplexed if "jiggyblau" actually fired away a soliloquy.
cpgator, even though I didn't want to, when I got on the phone I just let loose (kindly, yet continually). By the time I was done, she was perplexed! (But so was I!)

And about us being upset, it's not the same as the credit card. They're using us as the out that saves them from their money-losing venture with Flooz. Big difference in my mind. But it's ok if you aren't upset with them.
Old 08-14-01, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly. When they agreed that $75 of my order was to come from flooz, I am no longer responsible for paying that $75, it is between BN and flooz. If they didn't want to accept these circumstances might have happened they should not have accepted flooz in the first place. Have any other companies cancelled or refused to ship orders or preorders?
My one other open Flooz order is still being processed even though one item is backordered. Tower is still going through with it, no problem.
Old 08-14-01, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by clappj

Even though she was a supervisor, I asked her if there was anyone higher up that I could speak with. She put me on hold for about ten minutes before coming back and telling me that no matter who I spoke with, I was going to get the same answer.
Do NOT accept this line. I have not had to deal with them on this issue but I have delt with them on two issues before. The exact same thing happened three times: I'd be talking to a supervisor insistent that I got screwed in some way. I would ask to talk to the supervisor's supervisor, and both times she (supervisior #1) would just come back and give me whatever I wanted to get me off the phone. Once it was as simple as a $3 credit for Akira LE dropping in price, once it was shipping out a new Akira for my damaged one (without refunding my Flooz, thank God), and another time it was 50% off my next order up to $100 (for a mistake on a $5 order ).

As for getting a call back, don't hold your breath. Another time I delt with a CS problem it was a huge nightmare (their website said hardcover, and I received a softcover book, and nobody cared). They are certainly not timely and their senior supervisors appear to be shy with the phone. So keep calling.

One thing you really need to complain about is that website statement, which was STILL there after they updated the text AGAIN! If they tell you they didn't know, ask why they still haven't removed it and placed the appropriate text. Also ask what it would even MEAN -- does it just mean anyone who's ordered with Flooz and received their item doesn't have to return their item? Like that would happen anyway.

Also, BN works out of different call centers. If you are continously having bad luck from one center, try pressing different menu buttons and you might get a different center. I've personally noticed one seems to be a bit nicer than the other (although I have no idea which).

Good luck.
Old 08-14-01, 01:04 PM

"Barnes is actually a pretty good guy, but it's that Noble that's a vindictive bastard"

- Billy Crystal in Analyze This
Old 08-14-01, 01:05 PM
Cool New Member

I am so pissed! I ordered the Godfather Dvd collection using about $30 worth of flooz and a $10 off $40 coupon. The rest I used paying my credit card and I go back and check everything is gone and there saying there going to charge me the full price for it, they didn't even leave the coupon and they didn't even e-mail me! Well, I sent them an e-mail, but there's gotta be something we can do. The Godfather is my most anticipated DVD purchase ever, and now I'm going to have to cancel it! First amazon shuts off my share the love, and now this...
Old 08-14-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All right this is the last straw. I was just watching CNBC and they said BN is up 3% for the quarter, so you know they have the money.
Old 08-14-01, 01:08 PM

The way I look at it is this:

I made a good transaction. My credit card was accepted, my Flooz was deducted at the time of purchase...And I have a receipt and 1 out of 3 DVDs.

Then I get a email saying my Flooz was accepted. I say that is BS because I made the order a few weeks ago and my Flooz was accepted at the time of the transaction.

I believe that it is out of my hands from there and they should be responsible for getting it from Flooz. BandN would certainly pull more weight with Flooz than I ever can. Its really crappy because Flooz has "OUR" money and we cant get it back right now. That is not fair at all. They should simply not be able to close shop and screw us. It would be like a bank closing with all your savings in an account and saying "Oh well we can not complete your transaction at this time."
Old 08-14-01, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Smangalick
"Barnes is actually a pretty good guy, but it's that Noble that's a vindictive bastard"

- Billy Crystal in Analyze This
ahhh that's right! I knew I'd heard a B&N reference somewhere. So I guess it was Barnes who decided last night to give us the orders, and Noble who stepped in today?
Old 08-14-01, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

cpgator, even though I didn't want to, when I got on the phone I just let loose (kindly, yet continually). By the time I was done, she was perplexed! (But so was I!)

And about us being upset, it's not the same as the credit card. They're using us as the out that saves them from their money-losing venture with Flooz. Big difference in my mind. But it's ok if you aren't upset with them.
I don't see how it is different than a credit card. From what I understand, upon receiving an order, B&N does a pre approval of sorts to make sure the funds are there, at which time Flooz deducts that amount from your account. Just because it is not the buyers fault, doesn't make it the sellers fault or responsibility. Should they have to lose thousands of dollars in order for you guys to shop there again?

...and jiggyblau, you do know that "soliloquy" basically means when a person talks to themselves specifically without addressing a listener? In other words, talking to yourself. Kinda like a monologue. I would assume if you were on the phone with a CS rep you were actually speaking to them....
Old 08-14-01, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

cpgator, you have sort of a valid point, but if there's one thing I can't stand at DVD Talk, it's people who do not support other DVD Talkers. I realize that you don't NOT want us to have our orders clear, but it's like people who take Warner's side and say who cares about widescreen. Obviously, if you had lost Flooz just because your order items weren't in stock, you'd be very upset too and might see it differently.
Old 08-14-01, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So you people who have pre-orders, orders that you haven't even paid for yet with this Flooz, are wanting B&N to pony up and give you their merchandise for free? That makes no sense to me. Why should B&N have to lose money on this transaction? Sounds to me like you who paid money to Flooz are pissed off that you wasted real money on a company that makes fake money, so your beef is with them.
Old 08-14-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know Oliver, I was about to compliment you on your user name, but I read your post...

Now officially none of us can reference this thread to B & N customer service to show claims of people getting their orders confirmed.
Old 08-14-01, 01:25 PM

I don't see how it is different than a credit card. From what I understand, upon receiving an order, B&N does a pre approval of sorts to make sure the funds are there, at which time Flooz deducts that amount from your account. Just because it is not the buyers fault, doesn't make it the sellers fault or responsibility. Should they have to lose thousands of dollars in order for you guys to shop there again?

...and jiggyblau, you do know that "soliloquy" basically means when a person talks to themselves specifically without addressing a listener? In other words, talking to yourself. Kinda like a monologue. I would assume if you were on the phone with a CS rep you were actually speaking to them....
exactly, it felt like I was talking to myself!

I see your point about the credit card analogy and I do agree with how it functions, but this is not what is different to me. My problem is that only certain sellers agreed to have Flooz as a viable option for payment. In this respect, it's B&N's problem of getting their money because they made the pact with Flooz. Yes, they should have to lose thousands of dollars, because it was their mistake to sign on the dotted line with the Devil (Flooz). They wanted to offer Flooz so they'd get more business. Well, they got more business. But they have to suffer the misfortune that comes with the extra business in this case. I'm sure Flooz was great for B&N while they had it, giving them extra sales they wouldn't have had. So I guess I see this as a more break even for them than a big loss.
Old 08-14-01, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The way I see it is this, if Company X had given me a BN giftcertificate and then not paid BN, I wouldn't expect BN to cancel any preorders made with that GC. The issue about the non-payment is not with me, it is with Company X. Why should I eat it because BN was dumb enough to accept flooz? This should be a nice lesson to them about accepting alternative payment options.
Old 08-14-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The way I see it is this, if Company X had given me a BN giftcertificate and then not paid BN, I wouldn't expect BN to cancel any preorders made with that GC. The issue about the non-payment is not with me, it is with Company X. Why should I eat it because BN was dumb enough to accept flooz? This should be a nice lesson to them about accepting alternative payment options.
Good point! For example, if you got an Amazon GC from Free Ride (back when they actually ran a site) and you used it on a pre-order, if Free Ride stopped giving Amazon money, you're still entitled to your order.
Old 08-14-01, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

cpgator, you have sort of a valid point, but if there's one thing I can't stand at DVD Talk, it's people who do not support other DVD Talkers. I realize that you don't NOT want us to have our orders clear, but it's like people who take Warner's side and say who cares about widescreen. Obviously, if you had lost Flooz just because your order items weren't in stock, you'd be very upset too and might see it differently.
First, I will always support my fellow talkers!! Without this place and the great posters I would not have all the DVDs that I have now. I think i had about 5 when I found this place, now I have about 130. Also I had never heard of Paradigm, but now I have a pair of Studio 100's. Don't dis my loyality!! Second, I think it would be great if all the orders cleared.... why would I not want that to happen. Third, I only watch widescreen (on my Wega that I have because of this place) and I say screw Warner!! All I am trying to say is you guys might be barking up the wrong tree. If it was me, I would keep calling B&N in hopes of them caving, but at the same time, I would not expect that to happen. But if it makes you feel better..... SCREW B&N!!!!
Old 08-14-01, 01:35 PM

First, I will always support my fellow talkers!! Without this place and the great posters I would not have all the DVDs that I have now. I think i had about 5 when I found this place, now I have about 130. Also I had never heard of Paradigm, but now I have a pair of Studio 100's. Don't dis my loyality!! Second, I think it would be great if all the orders cleared.... why would I not want that to happen. Third, I only watch widescreen (on my Wega that I have because of this place) and I say screw Warner!! All I am trying to say is you guys might be barking up the wrong tree. If it was me, I would keep calling B&N in hopes of them caving, but at the same time, I would not expect that to happen. But if it makes you feel better..... SCREW B&N!!!!
amen!

(and a fellow VVega owner too--I could never stay mad at you )
Old 08-14-01, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool! You're one of us! And in case you didn't not not understand my butchering of the English language, I did not state that you didn't want our orders to clear.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.