Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy mixing of the formats

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-01, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local Best Buy has been mixing the VHS videos WITH the DVD's. At first I was just annoyed, but later I made a point to ask about it. It was kind of confusing and misleading when you were looking for something...

The lady told me that 'all' Best Buys were directed to do that. I think she's full of it. Anyone else out there experienced this?
Old 08-12-01, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh great. Now we'll hear about how people will pick up the Episode I "Collector's Edition" set thinking it must be DVD since it's in a different box and labeled as something special.
Old 08-12-01, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Mixing VHS with DVDs is horrible. They should have seperate sections.

Now, buying a VHS thinking it was a DVD is considered joesixpack.

-Stone Cold Steve Austin
Old 08-12-01, 10:44 PM

I work at Best Buy. This has not been ordered by the company.
Yet.

I expect it will be at some point though. The DVD section is quickly swallowing up the VHS shelf space, and within 18 months-2 years, I think they will only sell a handful of VHS (mostly kids titles), at which point it will likely be mixed in.
Old 08-12-01, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wedge, can you tell us why BB puts the DTS CD's and DVD-Audio titles with the DVD movies?

Why would they mix the video formats? They don't put all of the video games in alphabetical order regardless of console. They never mixed audio cassette tapes and CD's either.
Old 08-12-01, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Pestilence
buying a VHS thinking it was a DVD is considered joesixpack.
I guess Im ahead of my time because I was flamed beyond belief for saying that a year ago on this very forum.
Old 08-12-01, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joltaddict

I guess Im ahead of my time because I was flamed beyond belief for saying that a year ago on this very forum.
You kidding right?

Man I would have been on em' baby!

Joesixpack doesn't know nothing about bars, he can't tell the difference between VHS pack and DVD pack. He'll think the thicker pack is better and more full of contents. A worthy purchase.

-Stone Cold Steve Austin
Old 08-12-01, 11:15 PM

I haven't seen it at the local Best Buy, but one of the local K-Marts has just changed to an innermixing set-up.
Old 08-12-01, 11:20 PM

Good question Drexl. My answer is I don't have the foggiest damn clue. I think it's pretty stupid myself. Now I don't know where exactly they SHOULD be filed in the store necessarily, but I do know that putting them with music DVDs is just a dumb idea all around. I wish they'd change it, it causes confusion for customers.
Old 08-12-01, 11:43 PM

There's two Best Buys that are pretty close to me. One of them mixes the VHS with the DVDs and the other one doesn't but has very few VHS to begin with. I don't mind it because there are soo many more DVDs that I just look pass the VHS.
Old 08-12-01, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could see how this is very annoying. There you are with your parked car, limited time. You're looking like a mad man for a mainstream dvd title, and since no one organized the racks, there is a bunch of VHS titles plastered all over that dvd title you're looking for. So it's time consuming. Just as you were to find that title, you were to late because someone beat you to it. Now that sucks.

I don't see the logic in associating VHS with DVD. I just don't get it. It's sloppy work, it's sloppy organizing. At Virgin Megastore, they have many rows, each dedicated to it's own world, VHS seperated, and DVD seperated.
Old 08-13-01, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The best buy near me has like 5 isles (10 sides) of dvd's which is always crowded and 1 isle of VHS which no one is ever in. They keep them seperately which they should. No reason to mix them

capt
Old 08-13-01, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can shed a little light on this question. In my travels thoroughout the day, I come across 4 Best Buys within 35 miles of my house and/or work. Each store is a different size. The larger the store the more expected revenue they generate. The more revenue the more money they have to pay the staff in labor. The smaller the store, the smaller the revenue, the small the labor money.

I've only seen this at 2 of the BB's I've visited. The other 2 are larger and have more aisles and their product isn't mixed this way. Like everything else it all boils down to money.

Drexl, where else would you put DVD DTS CD's and DVD-Audio titles? In with the cd's or over by the players?
Old 08-13-01, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The real question is: Do they know that they are doing it?
Old 08-13-01, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Drexl, where else would you put DVD DTS CD's and DVD-Audio titles? In with the cd's or over by the players?
I would put them right next to the other audio media (just CD's now I believe) but in their own section, not mixed in. BTW, DTS CD's are compact discs, even though you have to have a DVD player to play them. Weird, huh?
Old 08-13-01, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That doesn't make any sense. The 2 items aren't even in simliar sized packaging, which would make everything look haphazard on the shelf. This sounds like a stockboy's nightmare.

J6P "I'm looking for XYZ on DVD"
Salesdude " We don't have that on DVD, but look, we have it on VHS!"
J6P "Gee, thanks. VHS, DVD, same difference"
J6P walks away happy with his VHS movie.
Old 08-13-01, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would put them right next to the other audio media (just CD's now I believe) but in their own section, not mixed in. BTW, DTS CD's are compact discs, even though you have to have a DVD player to play them. Weird, huh?
Yeah, but if I were in the store, which I frequently am, and I was a guy who was really into the dvd phenom I would go to the dvd section to find these discs, not over in the music area. It would get lost and buried in the cd's.

That doesn't make any sense. The 2 items aren't even in simliar sized packaging, which would make everything look haphazard on the shelf. This sounds like a stockboy's nightmare.
Not really. Every movie or dvd would be stock and merchandised together in alphabetical order by genre. Actually it sounds like a stockboy's dream. And when the holidays come around you can pick up "Braveheart" on DVD for your GF and on VHS for your MOM. They'll be side by side, no more fighting up one aisle to fight down another....

Imagine if every website listed dvd's and vhs seperatly rather than together?
Old 08-14-01, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
You do NOT need a DVD player to play DTS CD's- they will play on any CD or laserdisc player that has a digital output connected to a DTS receiver. They will also play in the older DVD players that can't output the DTS signal on DVDs because on CD the signal is encoded as a regular PCM track.
You can also play them on a regular system and hear some nice pink noise
Old 08-14-01, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's right. I forgot about that.