Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Where (not) to buy a digital camcorder? (includes rant on bad business practices)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Where (not) to buy a digital camcorder? (includes rant on bad business practices)

Old 08-06-01, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I finally decided to buy a digital camcorder, the Sony TRV30. After much soul-searching and research, I found that I like the features on it the best.

I ordered it and went on vacation, knowing that it would be sitting in my office waiting for me when I get back. Lo and behold, it was not.

The order that I had placed with Royal Camera was "rejected". In waiting for them to call me back, I jumped on to pricegrabber.com and dealtime.com to check the market for this camcorder. I found it for a lower price, and when Royal finally called me back, I told them to cancel the order.

I placed my new order with Broadway Photo (www.bwayphoto.com) and thought I was good to go.

Not. They left me a message over lunch saying that I needed to call them. I did, and the pushy salesman tried to sell me overpriced accessories, and warrantys. He then informed me that the price on the site was for the "international packaging" and not the US Retail packaging (which of course, was a few hundred dollars more). I promptly cancelled that order.

I called a couple of other places too, and got the same shite...."ok you want to buy a camera, you want a battery? no? you want a filter? no? you want a warranty? no? ok, then the camera is 'grey market', not retail.....retail costs $200 more"

I guess the point of me posting is two-fold. First off, avoid these merchants I have listed. Also, do your homework when buying something online (which I am sure you all know) but it deserves repeating.

Lastly, does anyone know of a good place to buy this digital camcorder online (or in Chicagoland). I want a good price too

Last edited by RickerOne; 08-06-01 at 01:48 PM.