Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Former employee may never make buy from Best Buy again

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Former employee may never make buy from Best Buy again

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-01, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm actually still waiting for the new 50H81 to get in stock... but I'm sure getting anxious... Ugh!
Old 07-25-01, 04:39 PM

OK...Update...
I called my local Best Buy warehouse this morning and they have 23 in stock... So I went to Best Buy...

And they are still giving me a hard time... 1st of all, the manager I dealt with before wasn't there, so I had to tell the whole story to a different guy... He finally agrees to help me out, but the computer still says undeliverable, even though it is in stock. He says that he has to request ops to turn on delivery "early" since they weren't necessarily expecting them in stock until Aug 5th... Ops may or may not comply... meaning they may not be deliverable until Aug 5th!!!!!!!!!!! And then he says he can't return the other TV (see my other thread for details...) because it was purchased at another store, and he has to get them to return it... UGH!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, I am going back at 2:00 - 2:30, when the other manager I have dealt with will be there. I am going to tell him that we ARE going to get this set up today, even if it means that he and I are renting a truck, driving down to the warehouse, and bringing it to my house. This is ridiculous!

------------------

2nd update:

You won't f****** believe this...but I went back to Best Buy, and even though it is in stock, there is no way they can sell it to me because the computer still says "not deliverable". Not only that, but they can't help me exchange my former purchase for it because the only person intelligent enough to do this isn't in until Friday afternoon! So, I have to go back Friday afternoon, and hope that the computer problem is fixed by then. If not, I might have to wait until August 5th!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I want is my damn TV! Even if they can get this figured out on Friday, I probably won't be home for delivery until Wednesday at this point... Ugh...
Old 07-25-01, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

get some friends and rent a truck and pick the damned thing up yourself.

You and your wife cant move it, but maybe you a 2-3 friends can.
Old 07-25-01, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by bigDVDaddict
get some friends and rent a truck and pick the damned thing up yourself.

You and your wife cant move it, but maybe you a 2-3 friends can.
Believe me, I am considering this option...
Old 07-25-01, 09:23 PM
Banned

Old 07-26-01, 11:19 AM

Today's update:

I called in this morning, and they said the TV is deliverable. So I went in again. I talked to the inventory manager who I dealt with yesterday, and he said it is deliverable to the stores only, but if I wanted, they could have it delivered to the store, and from the store to my house... That puts us on a timetable for next Thursday...

So, I said okay...at least it's a step in the right direction. However, they still could not refund the other TV for me, because they had not received verification that the original store I was dealing with has 1 more of the 56H80's in inventory than they are supposed to. So, they are checking back into that, and I'm supposed to call again tomorrow morning... If the other store okays it, the store here in Southfield has to do a "non-physical transfer" of the extra TV to their store so that I can get the refund. Hopefully, this can all be taken care of tomorrow... Until then, I have about $4500 + tax worth of TVs on my credit cards...

I'll be sure to keep you all updated as to the progress of this nightmare...
Old 07-27-01, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, like someone else said, just go pick it up yourself. You've wasted how much time and effort (in opportunity cost in dollars) to get what you've already paid for!!!

WTF is this world coming too. First the army accepts HS dropouts, now BB requirement for employees is ignorance, imcompetence, and that you wear an ugly *ss yellow shirt?

Man, I feel your pain. Good luck.
Old 07-27-01, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Buy
Old 07-27-01, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I said it once and I'll restate it now...PICK IT UP YOURSELF!!

You obviously have nothing better to do than deal with this sh!t. I dont know about you but my time is a he!! of a lot more valuable than the cost of a tv (no matter how big) and delivery.

You gotta be really bored to put yourself through all this. If it were me , I'd be watching my new TV a long time ago.

Oh well, to each his own.
Old 07-27-01, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by bigDVDaddict
I said it once and I'll restate it now...PICK IT UP YOURSELF!!

You obviously have nothing better to do than deal with this sh!t. I dont know about you but my time is a he!! of a lot more valuable than the cost of a tv (no matter how big) and delivery.

You gotta be really bored to put yourself through all this. If it were me , I'd be watching my new TV a long time ago.

Oh well, to each his own.
Well, to me it's almost more of a battle to get them to do what I want at this point, and I'm going to be stubborn about it. Spending the money, renting a truck, and getting my friends to help would feel too much like giving in to them at this point... So, I am continuing to bother them to get done what I want...

Now, if they don't get in gear really soon and pay me the refund for the other TV... then some he!! is going to be raised...
Old 07-27-01, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by agrall

Well, to me it's almost more of a battle to get them to do what I want at this point, and I'm going to be stubborn about it. Spending the money, renting a truck, and getting my friends to help would feel too much like giving in to them at this point... So, I am continuing to bother them to get done what I want...

Now, if they don't get in gear really soon and pay me the refund for the other TV... then some he!! is going to be raised...
Having just read the entire history of your situation, there's only one thing I would do if I was in your shoes. Screw the TV. Go buy it somewhere else. Even if it takes a bit longer, go to a sears, costco or some other place. Don't mess around with Bestbuy anymore, they are big enough to ignore and handle you all they want. Myself, I like dealing with local electronics and home theatre stores.... usually they give you a pretty good discount and always help when it comes to situations like these. And there's always Circuit City if you want another big electronics retailer. It might take a little longer, but it seems you're already having to wait until August 5th, so a few days more is not that much.
Old 08-01-01, 03:34 PM

More has happened since my last post, but I just don't have the time/energy to post it as several different sites...

I strongly recommend you check out the updates at the following link though... You won't believe it...

Employee may never make large purchase from Best Buy again
Old 08-01-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, I hear your frustration. You should just go down there with a bunch of friends and take a TV, and if anyone asks say you are moving your own TV that you paid for and if they don't shut up that you are going to charge them for moving it yourself.
Old 08-01-01, 04:34 PM

I just printed out a letter and summary of this thread to send to the CEO of Best Buy...
---------
Richard M. Schulze, CEO
7075 Flying Cloud Dr.
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Dear Mr. Schulze:

I have been appalled with my experience at Best Buy. I worked for Best Buy for a brief time, mostly for something to do between the end of my postdoctoral appointment and our moving date. I thought it would be nice to use my employee discount for some items before we moved. I purchased a washer, dryer, and a big screen TV, all to be delivered to our new home. This all happened back on June 15th.

I will provide an internet link to the full story of my problems, as well as a summary along with this letter. In brief, however, it has taken over a month and a half to get my TV (It is scheduled to arrive tomorrow). I have dealt with several extremely unpleasant Best Buy employees, managers, and affiliates in the process. I am a doctor, my wife is a doctor, and thus several of our friends are doctors as well. We make up a fairly large pool of people whose spending potential (either now or in the near future) is rather high. I will never shop at Best Buy again, and I will discourage anyone else from making purchases there.

Please read the following summary of my experience, or read the thread in full at http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...L/001404.html. At this moment, I am still waiting to be refunded the price difference between the regular price and the employee price on a Toshiba 50H81 television (assuming it is actually delivered tomorrow) plus tax, and store 404 refuses to do that for me. Even if refunded this amount, it will not be enough for us to return to Best Buy again.

Thank you for reading this letter. It is my hope that you can use this information to make some needed changes to the customer service at Best Buy stores.

Sincerely,
Dr. Andrew J. Grall, Ph.D.
Old 08-01-01, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was in the store the other day and one of the managers there was telling a few employees of a problem they had. It seems that their employee told a customer that the delivery guys would not only deliver their tv and entertainment center, but that they would also set everything up for them. But the employee forgot to tell them that there is a seperate charge for in-home installation and the customer never paid it. So when the delivery guys dropped off the stuff they turned to leave, the customer refused to sign the paperwork and kept their dollie [?] before kicking them out of their house.

Anyways, the manager told me that they used to have their own delivery guys, but that Best Buy now uses an outside company and they get complaints almost 4 - 6 times a week.
Old 08-02-01, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmmm. Let us know when/if you get a response.
Old 08-02-01, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, man, you deserved exactly what you got. So don't even began to complain about it, man!

I worked at Best Buy part-time this spring/early summer just to pass the time until we moved. I thought I would use the discount to make a couple of necessary purchases, and a fun one. I bought a washer/dryer for our new house, and a Toshiba 65H80 TV. They came to deliver these items on Wednesday, June 20th. They informed me before even taking anything off the truck that there was no way they were even going to try to deliver the TV. Our house is technically a quad-level house. Each level is only separated by half flights of stairs, however. I want the TV in the lower level, and yes, they need to make ONE turn. My measurements made it look like it would have been close with the 65", but they should have made it.

Well, they absolutely refused to do it... So, they delivered the washer and dryer (which went down the one level and around down another level), and left without ever taking the TV off the truck. Before leaving, however, they gave me some bullsh*t about how they were sure that the 55" Toshiba would fit. I said, "They don't make a 55" widescreen Toshiba." They said they sure did because they moved them before (Toshiba does make a 55", but not a widescreen or HDTV). I said that they do make a 56" in that same model, and asked if they thought it would fit. They were like... I don't know... kind of leary-like.

So, anyway... I go to the local Best Buy later that night, and the video guy says they'll take care of it for me, but I should come back in the next day when the GM is in. He made a photocopy of my receipt for the GM and I left. So, I think, okay, no problem... I come in the next day, and I get to speak to this b*tch sales manager instead of the GM. She has a terrible attitude, walked away from me several times while I was speaking to her, and then didn't help me at all. She said I had to work through my old store where I had purchased it. Well, that store was now 6 hours away, and I wasn't planning a visit any time soon.

So, I called my old store. They (at least they were nice there) told me that we would have to wait until the TV showed back in their stock before we could work and exchange for the 56". Ok...ok... Well, on Sunday, June 24th, I talked with a manager at my old store, and she told me that the delivery was now set for Wednesday, June 27th. Ok, fine... Wednesday comes, and no TV. They had never even called to give me a time window for delivery... So, I call my old store again (after calling both the delivery number, and the 800 customer service number), and apparently my order was cancelled for some unknown reason. ?????? So, I had to call back every day until Monday, July 2nd, until there was someone there who could help me. Apparently there is only ONE person who works at that store who knows how to do this properly. So, they tell me the delivery date is today, Thursday, July 5th.

I actually received a voice-mail with a time-window. However, the half of the time window was covered by my working hours. They left no phone number to call, and I didn't have my receipt yet because they were mailing it to me. I left a note on the door saying something to the effect of,

When I got home today, the note was gone, and there was no new note, so I assumed they would return before 2:00. Nope. 2:00 came and went. At about that time, the mail came, and my receipt was in it. At about 2:05, I called the number on the receipt, and they informed me that I missed the delivery. Now, I am usually a very calm person who doesn't even like to yell at people on the phone...but I was extremely p*ssed off at this point. I asked if they could still deliver it today, and they said no...the delivery people are already off-shift (this is 5 minutes after my delivery window!). I ask to speak to a manager. She gives me the same crap...and want to set me up for another delivery tomorrow or Saturday. I said I want it today...I have waited for over 3 weeks for my $3000 TV! But, no...there was no way they could do that...

So, what do they have available tomorrow? 9 a.m. - noon. Of course, I am at work then too. But my wife could be home. Now, I eventually settled on them coming tomorrow, but I can just imagine them coming and saying...nope can't put this there... So...

Anyhow, this has been such a nightmare that I highly doubt I will ever make another significant purchase from Best Buy, and I am a former employee. If they treat an employee like this...how do they treat you average Joe?

So, anyhow, thank you for reading my rant.
Old 08-02-01, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by filmguy
Hey, man, you deserved exactly what you got. So don't even began to complain about it, man!

Ummm...what?!?

Oh I see... You must either be a Best Buy drone, or you didn't read the whole thing...

Either that, or you are really, really stupid...

Oh wait...I see in your profile that you live in Michigan... you wouldn't happen to be that Inventory manager Mike himself, would you?!? No matter...

But just in case that jerk is reading this by some chance... Do you really think I was "threatening" you about writing letters to the BBB, district manager, Michigan Attorney General, Best Buy CEO, etc.? I wasn't threatening at all...I was just telling you what I was going to do. The 8-page letter to the CEO of Best Buy is written and going in the mail tomorrow. The other letters will follow shortly. If there is any accountability in that company at all, you should lose your job. If not, well, you still have to live with being you, so that's probably punishment enough...

----------------
Now, filmguy, why don't you please explain to me how I deserved the treatment I received at Best Buy...

If my mistake was choosing to make a several thousand dollar purchase at Best Buy, and that entitles me to receive sh!tty customer service... well, I'll be... I guess you are right!

Last edited by agrall; 08-02-01 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-06-01, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by filmguy

WTF?

You don't happen to work for Worst Buy do you? I have been a good friend of agrall for the last 7 years. I helped him move into his house about 1.5 months ago. We were able to fit a full sized hide-a-bed couch down and around the corner that the BB delivery wusses refused to. It sounds like the original delivery idiots were a bunch of lazy SOB's, because the crew that actually did deliver the set didn't complain once about it.

Last edited by Iron Chef; 08-06-01 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-06-01, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you really think I was "threatening" you about writing letters to the BBB, district manager, Michigan Attorney General, Best Buy CEO, etc.? I wasn't threatening at all...I was just telling you what I was going to do. The 8-page letter to the CEO of Best Buy is written and going in the mail tomorrow. The other letters will follow shortly.
Oh yeah, I'm sure the BB CEO is hiding under his desk right now. In fact he shold be. Hahahahahaha. No way man, you have every right to explore the avenues of simply GETTING WHAT YOU FRICKIN PAID FOR!!! Is that too much to ask for in a democracy.

Best buy needs to get their act together. Not that they are scared of losing customers - cause they are too big for that - but they should see that customers are important.

As for the "you deserved it" guy, I can't wait til you start bitching and moaning about something. Then I can say what comes around goes around.

Old 05-07-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts
no way the two of us were going to be able to handle it down that tight space...especially with the weight of the thing...
If there was no way for you to handle it down that tight space why would it be easy for the delivery people?
Old 05-07-02, 07:06 PM

Wow... talk about digging up an old thread... Work for Best Buy or something???

Anyhow... my wife and I hardly move heavy items for a living... The delivery people do, and even have some tools to make it easier. There is a whole lot more to this story now that makes me upset with customer service at Best Buy, but I don't feel like going into that now...
Old 05-08-02, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts
Wow... talk about digging up an old thread... Work for Best Buy or something???

Anyhow... my wife and I hardly move heavy items for a living... The delivery people do, and even have some tools to make it easier. There is a whole lot more to this story now that makes me upset with customer service at Best Buy, but I don't feel like going into that now...
It was linked to the current Best Buy employee thread
What happened though, got your TV?
Old 05-08-02, 07:10 AM

Ended up (after much time and frustration had passed) getting the Toshiba 50H81 from an unusually competent delivery crew. I still had trouble with the customer service department regarding the correct price... But it sort of worked out in the end... (No thanks to them...)

I have since had it ISF calibrated, and I am very happy with the set. A bigger one would have been nice... but I'll do that next time I move.

P.S. If you really want to read more in depth about the story, I kept it more updated at the HTF:

Employee may never make large purchase from Best Buy again

Last edited by agrall; 05-08-02 at 11:09 AM.