Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Legal Advice, what can i do?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Legal Advice, what can i do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-01, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ill try to keep this short

I recently used Winston Tires to replace my brake pads and rotors. From day one, the pads never stopped making a terrible noise, my rims would be completely black from brake dust after just one day of mild use, and never even stopped well. I took the vehicle back in 3 times, and each time they fixed nothing. I just took my car to the dealer for insection, and they used cheap, REFURBISHED parts. Used friggin brake pads and rotors. On my receipt from WT, it clearly states in large letters, all parts are new. I wanted my money back originally because it was a sh*tty job, but now I'm just pissed.

Well, if anything at least i got the message out, DONT USE WINSTON TIRES THEY WILL SCREW YOU.
Old 06-15-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Wow, that's a pretty serious situation, much moreso than not receiving a DVD - brakes can be life or death. If they refuse to refund your money I would get a sworn statement from whoever inspected your car that they are used parts. File a small claims court suit. Also, whether or not they refund your money, file a complaint with the local Better Business Bureau, they keep track of complaints about things like this. If this is a national chain (we don't have any here in NJ that I know of), complain to their national headquarters. Tell them you are going public with your complaint. Also, your local newspaper may have a consumer help column, mine does. Whatever you do, complain. Write letters, make calls, do not let them go unpunished for this.
Old 06-15-01, 06:34 PM

I'll agree with RevLiver, you really should take action. You may even save someone's life by doing so.

Most local television stations have a consumer help department that investigates such situations as filler for the evening news broadcasts. The companies tend to be a lot more cooperative with a camera on them.
Old 06-15-01, 06:52 PM

If they continue to give you trouble, do not give you satisfaction, and you think you've been legitimately screwed (after reading all the fine print in the store and on your receipts), take em to small claims court.

I've found a lot of people don't realize that it costs ~$15 to take someone to small claims (depending on your area).
Old 06-15-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by roark1138

I've found a lot of people don't realize that it costs ~$15 to take someone to small claims (depending on your area).
yea but they also don't have to pay either
Old 06-16-01, 10:40 AM

Hopefully you paid by credit card. Just call your CC company and do a chargeback.
Old 06-16-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DeepSleep
Hopefully you paid by credit card. Just call your CC company and do a chargeback.
isnt there a time limit?
Old 06-17-01, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The time limit for putting a charge in dispute with a credit card company is, I believe, 60 days, if you are close to that date or just over call your credit card company to find out for sure.

However, I would just take them to small claims court. But, before you do that, you will need to demonstrate that you have tried to resolve the matter first. So you will need to get a statement from the dealer saying that cheap refurbished parts are on your car, then send a copy of that plus a letter stating *politely*, but *firmly* that you want a full refund of what you had paid them or you will be seeking a full refund, plus court costs, through small claims court. Again, be polite, but firm.

To file in small claims court you will have a filing fee and a fee for the Sherrif's department to serve the summons (in Illinois, I assume other states are similar). But, in the paperwork, you will put down how much you paid the company as well as the statement "plus court costs" which will cover your costs. If you win the judge will most likely grant you those costs.