Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster Pre-viewed DVDs

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Blockbuster Pre-viewed DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering if your local Blockbusters have this annoying system -- Some of the Blockbusters here WRITE ON the top of the DVD in marsh pen, identifying that it belongs to Blockbuster, and the store number.

Now, this means that if you ever buy a pre-viewed DVD, you will get a copy with this stupid writing on it!

How do your Blockbusters (or similar rental shops), "mark" their DVDs to prevent theft without ruining its condition for pre-viewed sale? If it was a good deal, would you care at all if it was written on?
Old 05-16-01, 06:51 PM

Mine uses stickers that cover the entire dvd and also contain the anti-theft strip. It is really hell trying to remove those things, the only thing that works is a product called "goo-gone".

xrockmanx
Old 05-16-01, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Marsh pen? I've never heard that phrase used before. At any rate, if that's anything like a black sharpie pen, you can use this product to get it off:

I used to work in a used CD/DVD store and we used this all the time to remove people's initials from their CDs and DVDs. Just get a soft terry cloth, get a tiny bit of brasso on it, and wipe the ink away in circular motions. Don't rub too hard as it can rub through the artwork on the actual disc itself.
Old 05-17-01, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks, Drink Til She's Cute! Learned something new today which might come in handy later!

And yes, by "marsh pen", I meant a Sharpie-like pen!
Old 05-17-01, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've bought about a dozen PV DVDs rrom Blockbuster stores in NYC - and not one of them has any markings on the disc itself. If you're concerned about this, ask to inspect the DVD itself before you buy and they will usually let you do that.