Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How Amazon Ripped Me Off...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

How Amazon Ripped Me Off...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-01, 02:01 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently used the $25 promo certificate from using Ofoto to buy Crouching Tiger & O' Brother Where Art Thou. I later changed my mind about the OBWAT DVD so when I went to cancel it, I accidently canceled both. So when I tried to use the certificate again, it said that it had already been redeemed. I wrote to Amazon and they basically told me that they're sorry that I couldn't use it & they hope I'll take advantage of future offers. I know that it was my fault that the order was cancelled, but I'm still pretty pissed off at them for not allowing me to use the $25 certificate.
Old 05-04-01, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummm... have you tried placing another order? I would think it would be sitting in your "promotional coupon balance" that you could access by placing a new order. IIRC (I didn't participate in that promotion) those were pretty recent GC's, so would they already have expired?

No, you can't key in that GC code again, as you did already redeem it into the account. But... start an order and when you get to the GC screen, you may see a little checkbox that says "Use available promotional GC balance of ____ on this order?" or something like that.

Or perhaps I am completely wrong.

As a general warning, though, everyone should be VERY CAREFUL when changing any order that has promo (usually quick expiring) GC's.
Old 05-04-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As Y2K Falcon said, try adding something to your cart and begin the checkout process. If the $25 GC doesn't show up when you get to the Credit Card Page (where you normally input GC numbers) then you could still try calling in the order.

Alot of times E-Mail customer service is not as effective as one on one phone calls.

Couldn't hurt to try.
Old 05-04-01, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just go into your account menu and the GC redeem screen tells you if you have a GC balance on your account when you pull it up. You don't have to go through a "pretend" checkout process.
Old 05-04-01, 02:28 PM

Yeah, do as the others said. They do everything but rip you off. The coupon has already been redeemed, so you shouldn't be able to enter it again, but it will be in your account (maybe not your status though... you might have to 'pretend' place another order).
Old 05-04-01, 02:39 PM
Uber Member

Go to amazon.com's site. At the top of the screen is a link that says "Your Account". Click on that.

At the screen that comes up, scroll down to the section that says Your Account Settings. The fifth item on that list says "Gift Certificates: View balance/claim Gift Certificate". Click that. Enter your account info.

This will take you to the screen that says what your current GC balance is.

If that says 0.00, then I suggest calling them at 800 201-7575 and you should be able to get a better response on the phone.

Good luck.

-David
Old 05-04-01, 03:06 PM

Blade

Promo GC's won't necessarily show up on that page. I just checked that page using my account and $0.00 was shown as my balance. I went into my cart, started the checkout process with a movie, and found $7.04 available in my GC pool. And I'm almost positive I've got a $5 GC behind that one.
Old 05-04-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am like the king of fake orders at Amazon. Sometimes it's what you need to do to see how things come out (shipping wise, etc.)

Oh, by the way... Make it a preorder for something that doesn't some out till like June. Just in case you hit the "Complete" button by mistake. Just trust me on this one.
Old 05-04-01, 09:00 PM
Cool New Member

Problem fixed...

I went back & looked to see if there was any certificate money left in my account, and of course there wasn't any. So I decided to call Amazon & I had to talk to some dude name Raul, who didn't really know anything but to tell me to look at the box indicating where the certificate money should be. Then he transfered me to someone who could actually fix my problem. So she sent me an e-mail stating me to place an order & to call in and they would deduct the $25 from my purchase. Telephone customer service is a hell of a lot better than e-mail service! Here's the e-mail she sent;

Greetings from Amazon.com!

To remedy the situation of your gift certificate problem, please place
your order for the items in which you were going to purchase. After doing
so please call us, and we will deduct $25.00 from your order.

I apologize for the inconvenience that this order has caused you, and we
look forward to your call. Thanks for shopping with Amazon.com!

Best regards,

Bridget A.

Old 05-05-01, 10:26 AM

Amazon.com has the best customer service. They have also made me a 70% profit (on paper) on a $2500 investment in just 4 short weeks. Now that's better than any GC.