Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

EXPRESSly kicked in the butt!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

EXPRESSly kicked in the butt!

Old 05-01-01, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If any of you have had signifigant problems with Express.com recently, there's a reason...No one is there minding the site! On April 6th, 2001 they laid everyone off giving them only 70% of the pay that was due them on that day's check. They told everyone that as soon as some assetts were sold that they would recieve the other 30%. Then a week later when they called to find out about it, they were told that they had to file an administrative claim at the bankruptcy court. They made it intentionally difficult for the employees, who are owed the money, to get it. If they screwed their own people, don't expect a darn thing from them personally. Poor leadership, Incompetent decision makers, and NO BUISNUISS plan have all finally caught up to the idiots who ran this company. Now they are saving themselves. These people need to be arrested. I would not suggest anyone do business with Mike Dubelko, Brett Hawkins, or Jonas Gray. They knew exactly what they were doing when they went to bankruptcy court in March, then in April laid everyone off without their entire wages due paid. They have screwed the studios who are also owed money, there own people, and ultimately all of you, the customers. These people are slick parasites.
Old 05-01-01, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

welcome to the forum. we understand - we've posted warnings about not to order from this company for some time now. I'm still owed 50 bucks worth of stuff from them I'll never see.
Old 05-01-01, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jeffman111--- By any chance were you one of the screwed employees? If you were, I feel for you!
Old 05-01-01, 02:27 PM

What does everyone expect when our pwn Government is run like that everyday? As long as big business has Washington DC in their hip pocket, this is how we all should expect to be treated. I am not specifically knocking the present administration (so don't flame me conservatives), as we all know corruption is non-partisan.
Old 05-01-01, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DrJag
welcome to the forum. we understand - we've posted warnings about not to order from this company for some time now. I'm still owed 50 bucks worth of stuff from them I'll never see.
So they charged your card for the stuff? Wouldn't a letter to your company requesting a reversal be a good idea about now?
Old 05-01-01, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it was paid for with a gift certificate, hence I have no recourse except to harass express. no one answers the phone or email there.
Old 05-01-01, 10:44 PM

Well you are correct, you will probably not see anything for those cupons. They were good back in the day, but ever since this company got into trouble, they have been nothing but greedy-stingy bloodsuckers. I know this because I was one of the people who stuck it out to the very end, to answer another question. One of many who tried to make it work, and one of many who bought their spoon-fed bullcrap. You will get no response to your calls or e-mail, because the only people that are there, are there to make Express look attractive to a buyer. They are trying to get bought by someone else they can suck blood from. The latest I heard was a company in Chicago was looking into buying them, but I highly recomend against it. My advice is to stay away from Mike Dubelko and Brett Hawkins who seem to only be good at looking out for themselves, while lying their face off to others. In October we were supposed to get a business plan from Mike Dubelko, promised to us in a meeting by the head of HR who also seemed to be good at spinning the BS. Never happened. When asked months and months later about it in a company meeting their response was "Our business plan is to make money." That's who these people are. No plan, no cares, and no respect for the people under their employ. It seems that all of us are left out in the cold with something owed us. I'm sure these people aren't starrving. They left this company driving their Lexuses and Porches, lauging all the way to the bank.
Old 05-02-01, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by DrJag
it was paid for with a gift certificate, hence I have no recourse except to harass express. no one answers the phone or email there.
I had a GC and had requested a couple of new movies, when the rumors where flying, I canceled the orginal order and placed an order for something they had in stock.
Received it the next day VIA FED EX.
Old 05-02-01, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
It's shame for sure. I remember when DVDExpress was a highly reliable e-tailer.
Old 05-02-01, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cartload
It's shame for sure. I remember when DVDExpress was a highly reliable e-tailer.

Yes they were....I stopped using them around spring of 2000 due to better deals elsewhere but prior to that I had used them on a monthly basis for all of my purchases. They were the best in the game until that stupid merger with Game Cave....you wanna talk about a crappy online company. No wonder express bit the dust....I have always wondered if this is what led to their downfall.
Old 05-02-01, 12:23 PM

Yes djones, that is one of many bad decisions that began the stream of dominoes falling at express. The idiots who ran the company allowed investors to dictate what the company was going to do once they gave them the money. Instead of taking what was a good business and seeking other funds, the allowed the investors to bully them into expanding into music and games. They grew too rapidly, never put a business plan or mission statement into effects and became reactive instead of proactive. The expanded office space and more than doubled their employees in just a few months.