Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-01, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I placed an order with amazon for this item:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...109114-2801737
It is a cd player with 12 second anti skip, shock protection and an ac adapter. I thought it was a great deal at 30 dollars so I ordered one for my son's birthday which is Wednesday. When it arrived it was the same model number but had no antiskip, no shock protection and no adapter and basically looks cheap. I called amazon and the customer service rep said it probably is the wrong photo in place but I assured him it's not since the customer reviews all match the product as well as the technical data. That is until today when someone else posted "what a piece of junk" and apparantly got the same cd player I did. The rep said he'd mail me out another one right away along with a mailing slip to return the old one. I can't imagine what went wrong here. Anyone have any ideas? I sure hope the same stupid cd player doesn't show up as a replacement but I can't figure out what else I can possibly do. Any suggestions?
Old 04-30-01, 09:03 PM

Is there anything else you can do other then wait for the replacement?
Old 05-01-01, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My only other option was to return the cd player and get credit in my account then spend it on another cd player which would have been okay but never would make it by Wednesday anyway so I figured I could go ahead and wait it out. I'll post again when I get the second player and let you know what shows up. What's really ticking me off now is that they know of the problem yet the photo and technical data remains the same. You think they'd pull it or at least move it to out of stock or something.
Old 05-01-01, 02:33 PM

B-days

Let me get this straight: you wait until the last minute to get a gift. And because Amazon had a database problem you want us to feel sorry for you and outraged at Amazon?

When the time comes, I hope your son puts you in the crappiest Senior's home he can find and blows your money on cheap women and booze. LOL.
Old 05-01-01, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don, if this were me (and something similar to this has I'm sure happened) I would probably have just returned what I had for credit, and then went to *gasp* a B&M and found one I thought was good and reasonably priced and given that one to him. Yes, it might not be the "deal" you were looking for depending on the store's price, but at least you have something in hand that is good enough for him (don't give him the crappy one in any circumstance). So I would sack lunch for a couple days for the $ I didn't save on the Amazon one that did sound good.

Since you have "another one on the way"... Well, it sounds like it will probably be the same one you already had. Can't way I really blame them since the model numbers are the same. I don't expect the warehouse folks to check listed features. That's what those numbers are there to rely on.

So, I would do this. Go to a trusted B&M and get one you would be happy with... If the other one comes in time for Wednesday, and it's good enough, then by all means give him that one and return the one to the store. Otherwise, if it comes too late, or is the same cheapy you already have in hand, I would send them both back to Amazon.

I hope this made sense and seemed helpful.

I don't think they were trying to scam you at all, just one of those quirky things when folks like you and the warehouse rely on numbers to identify products. Another of the disadvantages of online shopping. I know when I leave a B&M what my $$$ paid for because I am holding it right in my hands before I pay...

Obviously you won't give your kid anything crappy though, at least it doesn't sound that way .
Old 05-01-01, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, next time, ask if they could send the second item overnite at no extra charge since "they didn't send the right thing the first time", which is what they are admitting to by sending the second one anyway...
Old 05-01-01, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Y2K Falcon your advice once again is smart reliable and friendly. I truly appreciate it and that's is exactly what I am going to do. Heading for Walmart in five minutes.
As for you msharkm, I was not outraged just a little miffed that they didn't change the ad being they now KNOW it's incorrect. I happen to love amazon but I would get angry at any store if they were made aware of something very wrong and didn't change it. Also I did not wait until the last minute. I bought this sucker two weeks ago and just recieved it yesterday. I thought that was plenty of time. Why didn't you just answer like this...WAH WAH WAH.... Sorry but I don't appreciate it when I have a legitamate problem and come here with it only to have fellow talk members make comments which are of no use to me whatsoever. I asked for no one's sympathy here just suggestions.

[Edited by Don Catchpole on 05-01-01 at 01:04 PM]