Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Thumbs down to DirectVideo.com

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Thumbs down to DirectVideo.com

Old 04-22-01, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering the favorable conversion rate for us Americans ordering from Canadian retailers, DirectVideo has some of the best prices for many movies I've seen. However, I have placed my last order with them. I placed 2 orders a day apart, 1 of which was a birthday gift for my wife. Easy enough, placed the order, received email confirmation. 10 days pass, nothing shows up at my home, and no shipping confirmation had been emailed. Nothing unusual, many online retailers don't email shipping confirmations, and I expected the shipment to take a little longer coming across the border. Curious, I emailed their Customer Service, who had quickly responded to another question I had for them before placing my orders, to check the status of both orders. No reply for 2 days, then I finally receive a reply to only 1 of my orders saying that it was just being processed that day, a full 12 days after placing the order, and that I should expect the shipment to arrive in 5-7 business days! Great, despite ordering plenty in advance, it won't arrive for my wife's birthday. To make matters worse, I saw this same movie at Walmart yesterday for just $2 more than I paid to DirectVideo, despite the fact that all other online retailers were charging at least $10 more. And I still haven't heard the status of my 2nd order. I would understand if my items were out of stock, but that wasn't the case. Needless to say, I'm not a very satisified customer, and the dollars I saved with this company certainly wassn't worth it to me.
Old 10-14-02, 03:43 PM
Banned

Yes, this is very close to my experience.

I ordered two titles on September 24th (spendy ones totaling almost $100 US). Got an order confirmation. No word from them for over a week. Checked their order-tracking page only to see that the order was 'being processed'. Two weeks and several emails later the order status hasn't changed and Directvideo has been almost completely unresponsive.

Avoid these scammers like the plague.
Old 10-15-02, 07:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure I'd call them scammers, I mean everything I've ever ordered from them has eventually shipped. In fact one time it had taken so long they had to give me a call because the CC expired (it was one of those monthly/temp #s). So obviously they didn't charge it until it was ready to ship and the fact they were willing to drop a dime to give me a call was impressive (not nearly so as a HK etailer doing it once though ). Aside from the amount of time it takes, which I take into consideration w/ everything I order from them now , I've never had a problem w/ them. JMO
Old 10-15-02, 10:27 PM

Me too had a bad experienced though not as bad. Placed order and 3 days later, order status still the same (being process). No reply to emails and finally emailed them to cancel order and got a reply to say they have cancelled my order.
Old 10-16-02, 02:52 AM
Banned

Okay, perhaps scammers is a bit too harsh. Still, given my far less than satisfactory experience with them I'd still recomend buying elsewhere.
Old 10-18-02, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess they just don't like you guys I sent them an email about an order and they responded in a little over a day. Granted only part of the order is shipping and it's been over a week since I placed it