Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 04-23-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Terry Funk will be sending Covid to the ICU
The following 2 users liked this post by AaronHernandez:
Boondock Saint (04-23-21), Hazel Motes (04-24-21)
Old 04-23-21, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 882 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
If you look at the photos, they placed her belongings inside of a garbage bag and then shipped it in a box.

I doubt WWE paid a chauffeur to haul a garbage bag to Mickie James' house and hand deliver it like that.

Would she have been less offended if the bag was plastic see-through instead of a black garbage bag?
Simply put, WWE didn't need to put anyone's belongings on a garbage bag. Simple as that. Send them in a duffel bag on a box like I previously said. The whole garbage bag thing is the lowest of the lows.
Old 04-24-21, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

MJF on the Rosie O'Donnell show

The following users liked this post:
Obi-Wanma (04-24-21)
Old 04-24-21, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,167 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
MJF on the Rosie O'Donnell show

https://youtu.be/W4wqqFXZxXY
Yeah, they reference it all the time on promos ribbing on him.
Old 04-25-21, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been watching Jericho's interview with Stone Cold and one thing that struck me on how much Vince has influenced the mentality of wrestlers is with when they believed the Internet started. Jericho mentioned that he was surprised that many people in the audience knew he was going to debut on Raw because this was "pre-Internet". By that time, almost all dirtsheets had transitioned to being websites. I knew the countdown on Raw was for Jericho because 1wrestling.com, the site Bob Ryder created for wrestling news reported it around June of 1999. Not only that, but WWF, WCW and ECW all had sites and at one point WWF started streaming PPVs there (this didn't work out at all). For fucks sake, Jericho had a website himself around that time too.

I know that Vince, Prichard and many wrestlers have this revisionist history and to this day they still think that the Internet fans are a small bunch, but that isn't true at all. They can't proclaim to have the biggest social media presence in the world and say that the Internet fans are a bunch of base dwelling nerds.
Old 04-27-21, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 277 Likes on 190 Posts

Up until now my life has felt incomplete. But knowing there is going to be a reality show about the life of Cody and Brandi Rhodes makes me feel at one with the universe.
Dr. DVD (04-29-21)
Old 04-27-21, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 161 Likes on 123 Posts

I must have missed this on Sunday.
Old 04-29-21, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Up until now my life has felt incomplete. But knowing there is going to be a reality show about the life of Cody and Brandi Rhodes makes me feel at one with the universe.
Old 05-01-21, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vice has released the first part of the Brian Pillman documentary

Old 05-03-21, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 343 Likes on 292 Posts

Is there a separate thread for the new WWE Lost Treasures and Bio shows on A&E?

That Macho Man bio was great.
Old 05-04-21, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

I was not a dirt sheet guy back in the 90's so I didn't know Pillman started out in Stampede. All I knew is I did not like him when he first came into WCW and he along with Zenk were kind of the beginning of the downward spiral. Come Hollywood Blondes time though he completely changed my opinion of him, he was a natural heel. I was upset that we never got to see him in WWF but that's part 2...
Old 05-04-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Agreed that the Macho Man bio was great even though I have heard/seen most things about him before. I imagine Gorgeous George has talked previously about it in shoot interviews I have never seen but was surprised Macho Man had cameras in her house without her knowing, thought he would have learned from past mistakes. Spent a fair amount on Elizabeth as well and just very sad, Luger was obviously a bad guy getting her into drugs and abusing her. Luger has somehow survived all of this and appears to be a changed man now but likely she would be alive if it wasn't for him.

Also, on these biographies I have really enjoyed Vince McMahon adding his input. Wish he would add even more because he obviously has a wealth of knowledge and who knows how many years he has left.
JeffTheAlpaca (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 438 Likes on 225 Posts

Lots of factual errors in the Macho Man Biography.

Apparently the just let people talk and didn't bother to source anything.
Old 05-04-21, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Agreed that the Macho Man bio was great even though I have heard/seen most things about him before. I imagine Gorgeous George has talked previously about it in shoot interviews I have never seen but was surprised Macho Man had cameras in her house without her knowing, thought he would have learned from past mistakes. Spent a fair amount on Elizabeth as well and just very sad, Luger was obviously a bad guy getting her into drugs and abusing her. Luger has somehow survived all of this and appears to be a changed man now but likely she would be alive if it wasn't for him.

Also, on these biographies I have really enjoyed Vince McMahon adding his input. Wish he would add even more because he obviously has a wealth of knowledge and who knows how many years he has left.
I liked the A&E Bio on Macho Man and feels that it complements the one that WWE did on him about 6 years ago.

As for Gorgeous George, this is the first time she's spoken about this. She never brought any of this to light in her shoot interviews, maybe out of fear of being sued or out of respect for Randy. I heard some stories of him partying like crazy in the Tampa and Orlando area in the late 90's with George and it was pretty obvious that he was doing steroids at the end of his run in WCW. Even when he came back for a one-shot appearance during the New Blood vs the Millionaire's Club battle royal, he looked too big to be natural, specially for someone his age. At that time, WCW was barely testing for drugs and I don't think they were testing for steroids.

As for Elizabeth, she was already doing hard drugs and drinking by the time she got together with Luger. From what I heard and read, she had remarried when she first appeared in WCW but that ended up quickly in a divorce and wasn't the saint that people believed she was.

Vince really needs to do more of these on-camera interviews for all of these wrestlers and for the WWE documentaries. I believe he's only briefly appeared in some and only given more time recently to the Undertaker one.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Lots of factual errors in the Macho Man Biography.

Apparently the just let people talk and didn't bother to source anything.
Completely agree and it's what has soured some of the experience of watching these docs and some of the ones WWE has produced recently. Lance Storm just mentioned on his Twitter today that he turned the Macho Man off after 20 minutes and will explain why on the audio show he does on Friday. I'm guessing it has to do with some of the factual errors.

One of the factual errors that bugged me the most was the one with Lawler saying that Vince learned that Macho left when he turned on the TV and saw Randy in WCW. That's complete bullshit. Bruce Prichard, who has a selective memory himself, said in one of his earliest podcast with Conrad that Randy told Vince that he was going to WCW once his WWF contract expired. He wasn't happy with being only color commentator and that when the program he suggested with HBK was turned down in 1993, that was the beginning of the end in WWF. So Randy told Vince that he wasn't coming back and Vince called Bruce to let him know about this. The contract expired on October 31st, 1994, Vince gave the farewell message on the November 7th Raw and Macho Man made his WCW debut on December 5th, 1994 on WCW Saturday Night. I remember all of this like if it was yesterday. So everything that Lawler said was bullshit. That includes the stuff about Memphis which is what probably bugged Lance Storm out.

Something else that bugged the shit out of me was A&E bringing that piece of shit Bubba the Love Sponge for this doc. That racist piece of shit shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near this. Also, I felt that Honky Tonk Man or whoever it was that said that Liz was the love of Randy Savage's life until the end of his life should be smacked in the face. That comment was completely disrespectful not only to Randy and Liz but most importantly to Randy's widow. By the way, why wasn't she on the doc? Her piece of the story was greatly missed.

So far these A&E docs have been good and they compliment the stuff that WWE has released but I feel that the factual errors and the glossing over some stuff has hampered somewhat their appeal. The Roddy Pipper one felt like a lot of stuff was missing, and there was some factual errors in that one too as when he was fired after the HBO interview, Pipper came back years later and won the Tag Titles with Flair. I kinda expected this as when A&E had previously done Bios for wrestlers, they really glossed a lot of stuff over and felt almost like watching the E! True Hollywood Stories. On the other hand, these are a 100x much better than the shit Reelz has been releasing with their sensationalist crap of their Autopsy shows. I don't even know why Lanny Poffo agreed to participate in the Macho Man one.
JeffTheAlpaca (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lex Luger looked like he lost a lot of weight when I saw that doc.

Surprised they did not mention or cover at all the rivalry with George the Animal Steele when he wanted Elizabeth and that probably help cement his legacy as a heel.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 05-05-21 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-05-21, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Lex Luger looked like he lost a lot of weight when I saw that doc.

Surprised they did not mention or cover at all the rivalry with George the Animal Steele when he wanted Elizabeth and that probably help cement his legacy as a heel.
I believe that around 2007-08, Luger suffered a stroke that left him completely paralyzed. He lost his muscled physique and lots about 100lbs of weight. I'm guessing WWE will talk about all of this in the Icons documentary that is coming to Peacock.
Old 05-07-21, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Part 2 of the Pillman Dark Side of the Ring is now on Youtube.

I agree with the assessment that if Brian hadn't suffered that car accident, he would have been one of top stars of the Attitude Era. He had that it factor and edge that was needed at that time and a natural feud with Steve Austin.

The doc reminded me how much of a piece of shit Vince is. There was no fucking reason for the interview other than to throw all the heat of Pillman's death to Brian himself. The autopsy report hadn't even come in yet, which showed that he died of a heart attack, not drug overdoes as Vince speculated. Also, Melanie Pillman is a piece of shit. She caused the death of Brian's ex and the abused the Pillman children suffered was unbelievable. Another thing is that the rumor that she was in Penthouse or a model seems to be bullshit.

Old 05-07-21, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mick Foley's old Biography from A&E is also online

Old 05-10-21, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 161 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Part 2 of the Pillman Dark Side of the Ring is now on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/Y-EHENO-FvQ

I agree with the assessment that if Brian hadn't suffered that car accident, he would have been one of top stars of the Attitude Era. He had that it factor and edge that was needed at that time and a natural feud with Steve Austin.

The doc reminded me how much of a piece of shit Vince is. There was no fucking reason for the interview other than to throw all the heat of Pillman's death to Brian himself. The autopsy report hadn't even come in yet, which showed that he died of a heart attack, not drug overdoes as Vince speculated. Also, Melanie Pillman is a piece of shit. She caused the death of Brian's ex and the abused the Pillman children suffered was unbelievable. Another thing is that the rumor that she was in Penthouse or a model seems to be bullshit.
I finally had a chance to watch this last night. I had no idea his personal life was so messed up. His wife is a piece of trash. Anyone letting someone abuse their kids like her new husband did is just mind blowing. You can tell she's got a serious drug problem. If Brian had remained faithful to his first wife, this tragic story would have a different outcome I believe. Such a sad ending to an incredible story.

It makes you wonder how different things in pro wrestling would be if Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Owen Hart and Brian Pillman had not died way before their time.
Old 05-12-21, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 341 Posts

I posted this in the Dark Side of the Ring thread but figured it might be more appropriate here.

Leading up to the start of the new season, I binged all of the other episodes. I hadn't seen the show before but really liked it. Watching it made me feel nostalgic for my childhood days watching wrestling, so I decided to give it a try again for the first time since I was a kid. I watched this week's Monday Night Raw and thought it was terrible. It felt much more like a variety show or sketch show than wrestling. I don't think I will tune in for any more of that.

So, how about it? Was that a pretty fair representation of what WWE has become? It just felt too silly to me and too scripted. I realize it's a show but come on. Would one of the other leagues be better to watch considering my criticisms?
Old 05-12-21, 05:40 PM

Raw is a shitshow every week, becuase Vince has the most input there.

Smackdown and NXT are generally better.

AEW has good wrestling, but their storytelling has a lot of the same issues that WWE does. Their promos at least aren't scripted, but most weeks I'm not really into it. If you really liked Nitro though, you might like it. I was never really a fan of Nitro.

Personally, NXT is my favorite. The problem with NXT though is that when you get really attached to someone and they bring them up to one of the main shows only to misuse them (or not use them at all).

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 05-12-21 at 05:49 PM.
clckworang (05-12-21)
Old 05-12-21, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 277 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I posted this in the Dark Side of the Ring thread but figured it might be more appropriate here.

Leading up to the start of the new season, I binged all of the other episodes. I hadn't seen the show before but really liked it. Watching it made me feel nostalgic for my childhood days watching wrestling, so I decided to give it a try again for the first time since I was a kid. I watched this week's Monday Night Raw and thought it was terrible. It felt much more like a variety show or sketch show than wrestling. I don't think I will tune in for any more of that.

So, how about it? Was that a pretty fair representation of what WWE has become? It just felt too silly to me and too scripted. I realize it's a show but come on. Would one of the other leagues be better to watch considering my criticisms?
It's not a problem specific to just WWE. There isn't really a high quality wrestling promotion out there right now. At least not an American style wrestling promotion. But RAW and Smackdown are the worst. They are both completely unwatchable, not only as wrestling, but as a television program of any kind.
clckworang (05-13-21)
Old 05-12-21, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
It's not a problem specific to just WWE. There isn't really a high quality wrestling promotion out there right now. At least not an American style wrestling promotion. But RAW and Smackdown are the worst. They are both completely unwatchable, not only as wrestling, but as a television program of any kind.

Ditto. If you're looking for old school wrestling where you can truly suspend your disbelief, go to some old tapes or archives . All offerings from major organizations are too obvious about it being staged, and while in the old days you may have been able to get a wrestling naysayer to sit down and get some enjoyment out of the product, not anymore. My viewing of it is now more or less out of habit, and I choose AEW as it at least offers some quality ring action.
clckworang (05-13-21)
Old 05-12-21, 08:07 PM

There's still some good stuff on Smackdown IMO. Roman Reigns has been great as the heel champion. It's infinitely more watchable than Raw, IMO. I attribute that to less attention from Vince and more attention from Fox who wants it presented more like a sport.

Also, 2 hours is always better than 3.
Boondock Saint (05-19-21)
Old 05-12-21, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Booker T show was good and rare that is was not full of tragedy or sadness though he did lose his mom and his son is in jail but overall a happy story and he is still alive.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.