Reload this Page >

California signs bill that allows NCAA athletes to get paid starting in 2023

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-30-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019...DTQQkYg8Jmv-iU

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA/AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom has signed a controversial pay-to-play bill which will allow NCAA college athletes to get paid, and he did it in the unlikeliest of settings.

On Monday, HBO released a clip of Newsom signing Senate Bill 206 on LeBron James’ show “The Shop.”

James has been a huge proponent of the bill, which will let college athletes hire agents, make money from endorsements, and get paid for the use of their likeness or image, defying the NCAA and setting up a likely legal challenge that could reshape amateur sports in the U.S.

The law also bans schools from kicking athletes off the team if they get paid.

In the HBO show, which is set in a barber shop, Newsom signs the bill while sitting in a barber chair alongside a smiling James and several other athletes, including WNBA legend Diana Taurasi and former UCLA basketball star Ed Bannon, who himself was part of a major successful class-action antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA back in 2014 for the use of college athletes’ likenesses in video games.

“Part of the reason I went to the NBA was to get my mom out of the situation she was in,” James said in the clip. “I couldn’t have done that if I had stepped on a college campus. Could it have happened a year after that? I don’t know, you never know what happens in that year. I couldn’t imagine, man, just going to a campus and doing the things I know I would have been capable of doing there, and just selling out that arena.”

Newsom told James that he has received phone calls from NCAA President Mark Emmert and other college presidents trying to dissuade him from signing the landmark legislation.

“He’s (Emmert) trying to make sure I don’t use this pen tonight, that’s what he’s trying to do,” Newsom said. “Look, they’re a little panicked, because they recognize they’re vulnerable. People are hitting this, not just in California, but all across the country. Because the gig’s up. Billions and billions of dollars, 14-plus billion dollars goes to these universities, goes to these colleges, billion-plus revenue to the NCAA themselves. And the actual product, the folks that are putting their lives on the line, putting everything on the line, are getting nothing.”

The law will take effect on Jan. 1, 2023. It does not apply to community colleges and bans athletes from accepting endorsement deals that conflict with their schools’ existing contracts

California is the first state to pass such a law.

“You can only imagine how they’re responding to this notion of name, image, likeness and the opportunity now to do what every other student in the university can legally do…it’s an interesting fact LeBron, the only people that sign away their right, the only group…are athletes,” Newsom said.

The NCAA Board of Governors had asked Newsom to veto the bill, saying it “would erase the critical distinction between college and professional athletes.” The board also warned that the law would give California universities an unfair recruiting advantage, which could prompt the NCAA to bar them from competition.

If that happened, powerhouse programs like USC, UCLA, Stanford University and Cal Berkeley would be banned from NCAA competition.

But while the NCAA is the top governing body for college sports, membership is voluntary. If the California schools are forced out, it could prompt others to follow and form a new league.

“It’s going to initiate dozens of other states to introduce similar legislation,” Newsom said. “And it’s going to change college sports for the better by having now the interests, finally, of the athletes on par with the interests of the institutions.”

The NCAA does let some athletes accept money in some cases. Tennis players can accept up to $10,000 in prize money per year, and Olympians can accept winnings from their competitions. Plus, schools in the “Power 5” conferences can pay players yearly cost-of-living stipends of between $2,000 and $4,000.

The NCAA reported $1.1 billion in revenue in 2017.
Old 09-30-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: California signs bill that allows NCAA athletes to get paid starting in 2023

Wow, that is big.
Old 09-30-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: California signs bill that allows NCAA athletes to get paid starting in 2023

Refs are about to start throwing USC, Cal, Stanford, etc. under the bus even more now. Oh wait, that's just Pac 12 officiating.
Old 09-30-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Clip from the episode of The Shop where they mention it and he signs the bill. Ed O'Bannon is actually there.
Old 09-30-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So what do these CA schools do with the NCAA decides it's better to just kick them all rather than try to adapt?
Old 09-30-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
So what do these CA schools do with the NCAA decides it's better to just kick them all rather than try to adapt?
What happens when other states follow suit, though?

I think the college presidents were lobbying against this, even in CA because of that fear. Certainly in terms of CFB, none of the CA teams are really threatening for the title, but even so kicking out USC, Cal, and Stanford and UCLA would decimate the Pac-12. I'm fairly sure most USC fans already hate the NCAA anyway (I know I do). UCLA is way down but dropping those teams from NCAA basketball would be idiotic, not to mention volleyball, water polo, baseball, etc.

But say they did, I think it'll be interesting to see what happens and perhaps just as important, what it does to recruiting. Will the top players go where they can be paid and build a brand even if it means not having a shot at the national title? For one and done, i think so.
Old 09-30-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
What happens when other states follow suite, though?
I hope that happens but it's years away and won't get done before this law goes into effect. NCAA will need to implement some "solution".
Old 09-30-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope that happens but it's years away and won't get done before this law goes into effect. NCAA will need to implement some "solution".
I would think kicking the CA schools out would take years as well. I doubt they have the time to kick them out before at least some other states take a look at this.

I guess they could under current rules disallow anyone that takes the money, but that would cause a huge backlash as well.
Old 09-30-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, good point. Either way, I hope this is the beginning of the end of NCAA's stranglehold on college athletes.
Old 09-30-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Real Sports covered this topic a few years ago. I have no sympathy for the NCAA. They are a fucking multi-billion dollar cash machine The athletes were screwed.

Selfishly I was mad at Ed O'Bannon and his case for taking away NCAA video games, but in the grander scheme of things, it's for the best.
Old 09-30-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Selfishly I was mad at Ed O'Bannon and his case for taking away NCAA video games, but in the grander scheme of things, it's for the best.
The thing that sucked about all of that is you rarely cared about starting players in NCAA Football. It was all about the franchise mode and recruiting made-up athletes to create your own team.
Old 09-30-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The thing that sucked about all of that is you rarely cared about starting players in NCAA Football. It was all about the franchise mode and recruiting made-up athletes to create your own team.
Nah, the people who obsessively named every single roster were awesome and I'm sure that was a huge appeal of the game. Even if it wasn't the fact that, say, Reggie Bush (I know he never played a down of NCAA college football, but let's just pretend) was in there but unnamed and you could play as him was a huge huge draw. It's also the main reason you'd upgrade every year. Otherwise they'd still be making NCAA games with just the teams and random made up players.

Like DJariya said, I was selfishly upset, but they absolutely should have been paid for their likenesses.
Old 09-30-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nah, the people who obsessively named every single roster were awesome and I'm sure that was a huge appeal of the game. Even if it wasn't the fact that, say, Reggie Bush was in there but unnamed and you could play as him was a huge huge draw. It's also the main reason you'd upgrade every year. Otherwise they'd still be making NCAA games with just the teams and random made up players.

Like DJariya said, I was selfishly upset, but they absolutely should have been paid for their likenesses.
My group of friends were different. We'd pick horrible teams on purpose then see who could build them into a champ in the fewest amount of seasons. Like, some of them would literally show up with full notebooks and recruiting would take us as long as 8-10 hours.
Old 09-30-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

True, but the games always created Dynasty teams and when you bought the latest NCAA hoops game and they had 1995 UCLA #31, you clearly saw that was O'Bannon even though his name wasn't on the jersey. And they always had a real model athlete on the cover who wasn't getting paid. I think the last NCAA football game had RG3 on the cover.
Old 09-30-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

True, but the games always created Dynasty teams and when you bought the latest NCAA hoops game and they had 1995 UCLA #31, you clearly saw that was O'Bannon even though his name wasn't on the jersey. And they always had a real model athlete on the cover who wasn't getting paid. I think the last NCAA football game had RG3 on the cover.
I thought they always showed a graduating senior (well, not a senior but someone who was going pro) and did pay them? They really had a cover athlete that they didn't pay a dime for?

Last edited by fujishig; 09-30-19 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought they always showed a graduating senior and did pay them? They really had a cover athlete that they didn't pay a dime for?
Maybe I'm wrong about that. I recall the last NCAA Hoops game had Blake Griffin on the cover and football had RG3. It didn't cross my mind they were seniors when they were the cover athlete.
Old 09-30-19, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

Do I read that correct, that a player pretty much has to deal with whoever the University has deals with?

So we could have Nike schools, Adidas schools, Under Armor schools, Coke schools, Pepsi schools, etc...? Another wrinkle for recruiting.
Old 09-30-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Do I read that correct, that a player pretty much has to deal with whoever the University has deals with?

So we could have Nike schools, Adidas schools, Under Armor schools, Coke schools, Pepsi schools, etc...? Another wrinkle for recruiting.
I think they just can't conflict, so you'd be right about the major brands, but I'd think stuff like someone endorsing the local car dealership or signing sports cards or something would open things up. I haven't read much about it, is it implemented like right away? Is JT Daniels going to get like a crutch sponsorship?
Old 09-30-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wait until this monumentally bad idea merges with Title IX. The NCAA are no geniuses, but they can't compete with California/Gavin Newsom when it comes to arrogance and short-sighted stupidity.

Last edited by Bill Needle; 09-30-19 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if this would revoke a lot of scholarships.
Old 09-30-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Just wait until this monumentally bad idea merges with Title IX. The NCAA are no geniuses, but they can't compete with California/Gavin Newsom when it comes to arrogance and short-sighted stupidity.
Who can??
Old 09-30-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If this allows athletes to get paid, I wonder if this would help put a stop to the one and done guys who enter the NBA. Pretty much all of them leave for the money even though talent-wise they are not close to being ready. Cough....Markelle Fultz

But this bill is pretty much only relegated to California schools and most there, at least basketball wise, never make it to the NBA.
Old 09-30-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If this allows athletes to get paid, I wonder if this would help put a stop to the one and done guys who enter the NBA. Pretty much all of them leave for the money even though talent-wise they are not close to being ready. Cough....Markelle Fultz

But this bill is pretty much only relegated to California schools and most there, at least basketball wise, never make it to the NBA.
I don't think so. Usually if you're one and done you stand to make a ton more money as a pro, this bill gives you a relative pittance and still restricts what you can earn. The agent thing would I guess allow them to come back if they don't get drafted, though. Like if you're Fultz and you know you're going as the number one pick, you're not going to stay in school for another year.

Also, how dare you begrudge CA. They've been down in recent years and I hate them, but UCLA alum alone could field a competitive team easily.
Old 09-30-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

100% agree. I hope people realize there are going to be massively unintended consequences that go far beyond Division 1 college football because of California's legislation.

This may be the beginning of the end for NCAA sports being the feeder system for pro basketball and football. It won't happen in one year, or even ten years, but check back in 20-25 years.
Old 09-30-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
100% agree. I hope people realize there are going to be massively unintended consequences that go far beyond Division 1 college football because of California's legislation.

This may be the beginning of the end for NCAA sports being the feeder system for pro basketball and football. It won't happen in one year, or even ten years, but check back in 20-25 years.
Why would this affect Title IX? The school isn't paying the athletes. Sponsors will be the ones doing that. Or the athletes themselves could get money now from Facebook, Instagram, Youtube and other social media sites. It's no different than a business major in college getting a paid internship from a company. That doesn't affect their scholarships, school eligibility or Title IX. The NCAA can go fuck themselves with this slavery type scheme they had forever where they own a player's likeness for perpetuity. They are a multi-billion dollar corporation profiting from someone's else production.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.