Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 MLB August thread

Old 08-10-19, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 MLB August thread

Got my Edgar Martinez HOF bobblehead at tonight’s game. 40k figures available and official attendance was 26k, but there didn’t look close to that actually in the seats.

Game was 2-2 till the Mariners’ wheels came off in the ninth due to walks and misplays. Surprised to see Travis d’Arnaud leading for the Rays and posting a respectable .256/.329/.475 line.

Rebuilds as discussed earlier are tricky. The Astros and Cubs burned everything to the ground, but you can’t do that as easily after rules changes. The Mariners are trying to thread the needle by trading their pricey veterans but picking up guys with a little MLB experience with the public goal of contending by mid 2020, but I’m not seeing it. They have good prospects in AA, but their youngish guys have had mixed results. JP Crawford might be a decent regular, but Mallex Smith has regressed and may not be a major-league starter. Their closest thing to a breakout is Vogelbach, and fortunately his overall slash line makes up for his low BA. Narvaez looks solid too. Their “star,” Haniger, has pretty much had a lost season due to injury. With any luck, he’ll return to 2018 form next year and not make them regret not trading him when his value was high.
Old 08-12-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mallex Smith is a 4th outfielder at best on a playoff-caliber team. For all his speed, he just isn't a very good fielder. Which is why the Braves and Rays both dumped him.
Old 08-12-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Mallex Smith is a 4th outfielder at best on a playoff-caliber team. For all his speed, he just isn't a very good fielder. Which is why the Braves and Rays both dumped him.
And as a hitter, heís... speedy. The 31 SB are nice, but his .367 OBP in 2018 is looking like a real outlier.
Old 08-13-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If the Orioles aren't one of the worst run teams in all of pro sports then the following proves it.

They brought up pitcher Chandler Shepard from the minors where he has a combined 1-10 record this season.
Old 08-13-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
If the Orioles aren't one of the worst run teams in all of pro sports then the following proves it.

They brought up pitcher Chandler Shepard from the minors where he has a combined 1-10 record this season.
Meh, Iím not going to evaluate the entire Orioles org based on one transaction involving a minor-league pitcher.

I can just evaluate them based on their being on pace for 224 losses over two seasons.
Old 08-13-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The O's are following Houston's plan for building a contender. I expect them to lose another 200 games over the next two seasons.
Old 08-14-19, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder which plan the Angels are following.
Old 08-14-19, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The O's are following Houston's plan for building a contender. I expect them to lose another 200 games over the next two seasons.
They(Orioles) have been in the toilet since 1984(except for a few seasons with Buck Showalter).

Just because Houston's rebuild was a success doesn't mean the Orioles will do likewise.

Many sports teams(Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns for example) don't give a flying fuck about winning and I put the Orioles on that list.

The Orioles are doing a major screw job on their fans and MLB and Rob Manfred can't be too happy about it.

This is why MLB wants to change the MLB draft order so teams won't tank year after year after year and put zero effort into putting together a winning team.
Old 08-14-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Orioles actually got the same smart people that ran Houston's rebuild. I expect they will be a real contender in 3-4 years. It will be tougher pulling the same plan off in the AL East because the Yanks and Sox are going nowhere.
Old 08-14-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's the Oriole owner that has the last say in team spending and I think Peter Angelo's son's are now in charge of the team because of their father's failing health.

It was an issue with MLB earlier in the year when they themselves didn't know who was running the team.

More like who was running the team into the ground.

There is a rumor over at Orioles Hangout that the son's want to move the team too Nashville,TN.

I just think that MLB has seen enough in other sports where teams refuse to field competitive teams and if you have noticed the many lopsided baseball scores we see on a daily basis then MLB has it's work cut out .
Old 08-14-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Orioles should move back to St. Louis.
Old 08-15-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of the Orioles, thereís a good story in the Athletic about Matt Hobgood, who never made the majors after being drafted fifth overall in 2009 due to loss of velocity, eating disorders, and injuries. Now installing doors in Arizona and satisfied with his family life.
Old 08-15-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a banner year for two of the sport's most renowned teams. The Yankees and Dodgers both moved to identical 81-41 records with 40 games left after beating up on the hapless Orioles and Marlins respectively last night. That would make for an eminently watchable World Series.
Old 08-15-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There was an article over at NJ.com about Jacoby(Always Injured)Ellsbury.

A few notes from the article:
Through this past Sunday he has missed 278 games in a row.
He makes$21,142,857.15 salary per season
He makes $130,511.46 per game.
Old 08-15-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
It's a banner year for two of the sport's most renowned teams. The Yankees and Dodgers both moved to identical 81-41 records with 40 games left after beating up on the hapless Orioles and Marlins respectively last night. That would make for an eminently watchable World Series.
Is it just me, or does the Yankee rotation make them look a lot more beatable than the Dodgers or Astros?
Old 08-15-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, Mets down 1-0 in the top of the 7th. Matz had pitched 6 fantastic innings, only thrown 79 pitches, and was due up to bat in the 7th. Do you pinch hit for him and bring someone else in for the bottom of the 7th? Or do you let him hit and then pitch the bottom of the 7th? Your only reliable reliever in the pen (Lugo) can go 2 innings at best.

Callaway somehow found a 3rd option. He let him hit. Matz got a hit and actually scored, Mets now up 2-1. And remember, he's pitched a gem, retired 14 straight batters, has only thrown 79 pitches, you have the lead with 3 innings to go, and a 2-inning reliever who has been lights out this season in the pen. Seems pretty obvious that you let Matz pitch the 7th, and hope to bring Lugo in for the 8th and 9th. But no, after letting Matz hit in the top of the 7th, Callaway suddenly pulls him and brings Lugo in to pitch the 7th.

You know how this story ends. Because Mets.
Old 08-15-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

Is it just me, or does the Yankee rotation make them look a lot more beatable than the Dodgers or Astros?
Maybe, but their offense looks to be a bit better.
Old 08-15-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

I don't expect any Yankee starter to last more than 3-4 innings in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure they are planning to bullpen their way through the entire playoffs. This is possible because in MLB's infinite scheduling wisdom, almost every game in the ALCS will have a day off the next day.

This is one of the more overrated Yankees team in recent memory. Remove their stats against the woeful Orioles, really no better than AA pitching, and they look much less impressive.

Old 08-15-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
So, Mets down 1-0 in the top of the 7th. Matz had pitched 6 fantastic innings, only thrown 79 pitches, and was due up to bat in the 7th. Do you pinch hit for him and bring someone else in for the bottom of the 7th? Or do you let him hit and then pitch the bottom of the 7th? Your only reliable reliever in the pen (Lugo) can go 2 innings at best.

Callaway somehow found a 3rd option. He let him hit. Matz got a hit and actually scored, Mets now up 2-1. And remember, he's pitched a gem, retired 14 straight batters, has only thrown 79 pitches, you have the lead with 3 innings to go, and a 2-inning reliever who has been lights out this season in the pen. Seems pretty obvious that you let Matz pitch the 7th, and hope to bring Lugo in for the 8th and 9th. But no, after letting Matz hit in the top of the 7th, Callaway suddenly pulls him and brings Lugo in to pitch the 7th.

You know how this story ends. Because Mets.
Yeah, I'm a Mets fan and that was a head-scratcher.

For people who are confused by your description, the simple version is the Mets' manager let the pitcher hit in the top of the 7th, but brought in a reliever for the bottom of the inning.
Old 08-15-19, 09:46 PM

Phillies were down 5-1 to the Cubs tonight (8/15). They scored 6 runs in the bottom of the ninth topped by a Bryce Harper walk off salami to win 7-5.
Old 08-15-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Yeah, I'm a Mets fan and that was a head-scratcher.

For people who are confused by your description, the simple version is the Mets' manager let the pitcher hit in the top of the 7th, but brought in a reliever for the bottom of the inning.
I.e., the only option that didnít make sense.
Old 08-16-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sportsfan64 View Post
Phillies were down 5-1 to the Cubs tonight (8/15). They scored 6 runs in the bottom of the ninth topped by a Bryce Harper walk off salami to win 7-5.
his contract finally pays off!
Old 08-16-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think we have seen the last of Minor League Baseball's taco eating contests.

A fan died in Fresno(PCL) from the result of choking and falling and hitting his head.
Old 08-16-19, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sportsfan64 View Post
Harper isn't the best player in baseball but he's definitely one of the most exciting. In an earlier era, I think Harper takes PEDs to meet the expectations of his contract, like Cano and ARod did for their big contracts. It's clear Harper wants to perform, he looked so excited running around the bases.
Old 08-17-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aaron Boone(according to an ESPN website story) wants MLB to explore the Mercy Rule.

That's funny coming from a team that when its winning by 10 or more runs are still trying too hit home runs.

1.) why doesn't MLB force teams like the Baltimore Orioles carry a 25 man MLB roster instead of a AA all-star team
2.) when teams are winning by a big margin late in the game swing at the first pitch and try to end the game quickly
3.) #2 will never happen because I still see teams working the count late in games when the contest is no longer in doubt
4.) stats have become more important than winning and a team winning by a large margin will never let up

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.