2019 MLB August thread

Old 08-07-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 2019 MLB August thread

Juice it like Beckham
Old 08-07-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Beckham says he took a supplement from someone who told him it was legal.

But at least no one can take that Player of the Week award away from him.
Old 08-07-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is August and now the Giants suck again
Old 08-07-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
They should make a commemorative poster of that and hand it to the first 10,000 fans at the ballpark
Old 08-07-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

If you are a subscriber of The Athletic, read the article about Zack Greinke from Zach Buchanan. It is amazing.
Old 08-07-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank the Lord Baby Jesus that the Blues finally won, because I canít stand this summerís Cardinals team.
Old 08-07-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Thank the Lord Baby Jesus that the Blues finally won, because I canít stand this summerís Cardinals team.
Dodgers sweep them with Russell Martin delivering their 10th Walk-Off win of the year. They are now 46-15 at home and have a 18.5 game lead in their Division.
Old 08-08-19, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As a Blue Jays fan, it feels like we are back to the time before 2015/16 seasons, as the fanbase it's upset with Shapiro and Atkins for the handling of the Stroman and Sanchez trades and previous to that, the dismantling of everything Anthopoulous had build and done.

It's hard to get excited for the young kids (Guerrero Jr., Bichette, Gurriel, and Biggio) when the fanbase don't have confidence in the Upper Management to build a winning team.

This article puts the onus on the fanbase to change the "conversation" but the writer works for Rogers who owns the team, so Blue Jays fans are skeptical.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...-conversation/

All of the Toronto sports franchises with the exception of the Maple Leafs have an inferiority complex. The fans believe that along with Shapiro and Atkins being incompetent, that Rogers have mandated them to work on the cheap. Based on the moves made this year, I believe that to be true.
Old 08-08-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

LorenzoL... I feel your pain. Watching management trade away decent players for garbage defeats the entire purpose of a re-build. Sure you get a younger, more controllable asset. However, you have these young kids who are going to wallow for years while you try to put almost the exact same pieces around them that you just traded away.

More infuriating is watching your team trade a stud (let's call him Verlander or Price) for another team's top prospects (let's call them Norris, Boyd and Fulmer) and then that same management tells you that we now need to trade those prospects because they're coming up on arbitration or can haul in different prospects (because we've drafted shitty or signed shitty Free Agents).

Bottom line is that if you want to rebuild right, you burn the franchise down to the ground - all of it (like Houston did). Trading a piece now and another next year is pointless... But more pointless is letting a truly talented player go for next to nothing to save a couple bucks.

Baseball leadership needs to figure out how to fix Free Agency too... next year we're going to watch players sit until the All Star break so team won't get compensated. That leads to a weak product.
Old 08-08-19, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If this forum had a Liked or Thanks buttom, I will give you one Rob_V

I'm in the mindset right now to enjoy the kids play until they become too expensive or they leave for better teams in the next few years. I have no faith in the current ownership and management.

BTW, don't get me wrong as I'm not saying that when Godfrey and Anthopoulos ran the team, they were perfect. They were not as the R.A. Dickey trade proves but at least it didn't feel like they were making personnel changes to save money.
Old 08-08-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it wasn't for the crapbag Detroit Tigers then MLB should step in and take over the clown show known as the Baltimore Orioles(a team that refuses to stock MLB Outfielders on its 25 man roster but instead uses reserve infielders as starting outfielders).
Old 08-08-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
If it wasn't for the crapbag Detroit Tigers then MLB should step in and take over the clown show known as the Baltimore Orioles(a team that refuses to stock MLB Outfielders on its 25 man roster but instead uses reserve infielders as starting outfielders).
I honestly can't remember the last time the Orioles had an outfield consisting of true outfielders. We at least had 2 out of 3 in Jones and Markakis at one point. which is a damn site better than what they've cobbled together since Cakes left, but since then it's been shit.
Old 08-08-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chris Davis went after the manager in the dugout last night so the Orioles can now use Chris Davis as a scapegoat for their season even though they are totally useless when it comes to roster management. At last look they have 14 pitchers on their 25 man roster and they just lost 14-2 so carrying extra pitchers does them no good.
Old 08-08-19, 01:57 PM

This could be fun. White Sox and Yankess to play at Field of Dreams in Iowa next August.

Old 08-08-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That sounds like a really awesome idea. I hope MLB goes all out to make it an awesome experience such as vintage uniforms and cast appearances. I hope they don't trash the site, the field is so much smaller than an MLB ballpark, and I don't know how many people will actually get to be there for it.
Old 08-08-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope they play the entire game with just one baseball.

The throwing out of the baseball on just about every pitch is utter (cow's don't like it either)nonsense.
Old 08-08-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope they play the entire game with just one baseball.

The throwing out of the baseball on just about every pitch is utter (cow's don't like it either)nonsense.
Haven't you ever noticed that no MLB game is ever played with just one ball. On average eight to ten dozen balls are used in a game.

Old 08-08-19, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
That sounds like a really awesome idea. I hope MLB goes all out to make it an awesome experience such as vintage uniforms and cast appearances. I hope they don't trash the site, the field is so much smaller than an MLB ballpark, and I don't know how many people will actually get to be there for it.
I heard they are installing temporary seating that'll hold 8k people. Tix will surely be a premium. Parking is offsite somewhere with a path to be plowed through the cornfield where people can enter the 'stadium'.
Old 08-08-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Chris Davis went after the manager in the dugout last night so the Orioles can now use Chris Davis as a scapegoat for their season even though they are totally useless when it comes to roster management. At last look they have 14 pitchers on their 25 man roster and they just lost 14-2 so carrying extra pitchers does them no good.
The story I read about the brouhaha mentioned that ďDavis has struggled this year.Ē THIS year?
Old 08-08-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cubs retrieve Jonathan Lucroy off the scrap heap, and he responds with three hits, two RBI, and two catcher’s interference.
Old 08-08-19, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy Bo Bichette... talk about starting off your career on the right foot.

Played his 11th major league game tonight - and has an 11-game hitting streak, including 4 homers and broke the major league record by hitting a double 9 games in a row.
Old 08-09-19, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The New York Yankees and Chicago White Sox will play a game at the famed Field of Dreams in Dyersville, Iowa, on Aug. 13, 2020, the teams announced Thursday.A temporary, 8,000-seat ballpark will be built at the site where the 1989 movie was filmed to accommodate the first major league game played in Iowa.

The game, which will be played on a Thursday and air on Fox, will be considered a White Sox home date. Friday will be an off day before the teams resume their three-game series in Chicago.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...y-field-dreams
Old 08-09-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been waiting for MLB to play at the Field of Dreams for about a decade. While I loathe most of Manfred's changes to the game, he's certainly up for more exotic promotional stunts than Selig.
Old 08-09-19, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it is good idea and it is something different
Old 08-09-19, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Theyíve been playing a game or two each of the last three season at least, in a minor league park.

Last 2 in Williamsport. Not sure the year before.

Its unlikely any mere mortals will be able to get tickets to that game.

We we were just at FoDs this past weekend. Really beautiful.
Btw there is one small road in on each side of that location.
Tgats gonna be fun watching all that traffic

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.