Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 MLB June thread

Old 06-01-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

2019 MLB June thread

Continue discussion here
Old 06-01-19, 11:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Yeah, those Twins were just feasting on weak competition. No way they’ll continue to have the best record in baseball or have a winning record against every division into June. Checks schedule.....

Good chance I’ll be eating crow later, but have to get in their all-too-infrequent kudos while they’re deserved.
Old 06-01-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 2019 MLB June thread

Some really nice baseball being played in the AL Central. The White Sox just had two baserunners picked off on the same play.
Old 06-02-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Some really nice baseball being played in the AL Central. The White Sox just had two baserunners picked off on the same play.
Well in their defense they just had 5 game win streak...mostly against KC but still!

Meanwhile Cleveland had 4 errors behind Bauer on Friday so yeah....Central not so great. Ripe for the taking. Even if Minny plays .500 ball from here on out they probably take it easily.
Old 06-03-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The way Blue Jays are playing, they are a remedy for any team that is struggling.
Old 06-03-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dodgers sweep the division-leading Phillies at home and have the best record in the NL at 41-19 (mere percentage points behind MLB-leading Minnesota Twins who are 40-18). Baseball Prospectus has them at 99.7% chance of Playoff appearance, which are pretty good odds.

This is a fun team. Nice mixture of young and old players.
Old 06-03-19, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Yeah, those Twins were just feasting on weak competition. No way they’ll continue to have the best record in baseball or have a winning record against every division into June. Checks schedule.....

Good chance I’ll be eating crow later, but have to get in their all-too-infrequent kudos while they’re deserved.
Something is going on in Minnesota. I'm positive they've developed some sort of competitive hitting advantage (secret techniques?) in training their batters. Virtually the entire line-up has seen their slugging percentage shoot above career norms in the course of one off-season.

It's very similar to what's going on in Houston with their pitching advantage.
Old 06-04-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ Maybe they have the fans blowing out... like the good old days.
Old 06-06-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess the Mets are having their 50th anniversary in a couple of weeks (1969 World Champs). Just seen Ed Kranepool on Mets TV (he played the first 18 years with the Mets) and he just received a kidney transplant 30 days ago.

Is there anything planned for the 1969 Seattle Pilots 50th anniversary (they played only one season before departing to Milwaukee)? It's too bad that they didn't schedule the Brewers to play in Seattle this season when both them and the Mariners could have worn Pilots away and home jersey's.
Old 06-06-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Weren't the Pilots one of the worst teams in baseball history? That Mets team won the World Series.
Old 06-06-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember listening to some Pilots games on the radio(Twins/White Sox/Tigers/Indians broadcasts).

I can recall them being on NBC once(Memorial Day Weekend) vs Detroit.

They had Tommy Harper,Tommy Davis,Don Mincher and Rich Rollins so they went with vet's the first season.

They used a Triple A stadium and ran out of money after one season.
Old 06-06-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-07-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still can't believe how Yelich went from having modest power to being one of the game's best power hitters. His numbers at his new home field are outrageous.

I know the Braves tried desperately to acquire him from the Marlins, but the Marlins were leery of trading him in the division.
Old 06-09-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well that was a good way to end the homestand, the Cubs really needed that after the horrible road trip. The Cubs and Cards have played nine games and the home team has won everyone, that has never happened in the history of the rivalry.

Here's hoping the Cubs have better success on this next road trip but I'm not hopeful since the Cubs generally don't play well when going West.
Old 06-10-19, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Small sample size, but CarGo has been surprisingly useful for the Cubs at .250/.350/.500 after .210/.282/.276 for the Tribe. He did have a decent .796 OPS last year, though.
Old 06-10-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cubs take the division because the Brewers are cheap and wouldn't spend the money necessary to win it. Brewers should have been in on both Kimbrel and Keuchel. Cards aren't a great team and they have real flaws.

Sadly, the NL looks once again like the Dodgers win the pennant, only to lose when they make the World Series. If they don't win one, they will become the Buffalo Bills of baseball. The one player they really need, Bumgarner, will never get traded to the Dodgers.
Old 06-10-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Sadly, the NL looks once again like the Dodgers win the pennant, only to lose when they make the World Series. If they don't win one, they will become the Buffalo Bills of baseball. The one player they really need, Bumgarner, will never get traded to the Dodgers.
They need relievers way more than another starting pitcher. But I agree that there is ZERO chance that the Giants trades him (or anyone else of consequence) to the Dodgers. There are so few truly hate-based rivalries in sports and I for one am happy that the Dodgers - Giants fit the bill. I don't see that sort of mutual animosity even from Yankees - Red Sox anymore.
Not counting my chickens or anything but I like this team more than last year's, if not quite as much as 2017's. I do think they needed to unload Puig as much as I liked him. He just wasn't reliable enough to count on, but was just productive enough to be leaned on. Not a good fit for this team (and they needed a spot for Verdugo).
Old 06-10-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, 11 home runs hit in the Phillies - Diamondbacks game (8 by Arizona).
Old 06-10-19, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Correction, 13 home runs hit in the game. The Phillies just hit 2 in the bottom of the ninth to set a new record for home runs in a game by both teams (13).
Old 06-10-19, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Can someone explain to me what Miami means when they mention a 16 run homer with Yelich?
Old 06-10-19, 11:30 PM

Last week the Marlins put a 16-0 beat down on the Brewers.
Old 06-11-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cubs take the division because the Brewers are cheap and wouldn't spend the money necessary to win it. Brewers should have been in on both Kimbrel and Keuchel. Cards aren't a great team and they have real flaws.

Meh, the Brewers are noted as a team by many as an organization that actually tries to win and acquire good players when others are worried about draft picks and adding salary. Kimbrel and Keuchel may end up being key players in the stretch run but for whatever reason Stearns wasn't interested. They have paid/acquired guys like Yelich/Cain/Moustakas/Grandal while betting on their bullpen. It may not ultimately work but it is their approach and not really anything to do with being cheap.
Old 06-11-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees View Post
Correction, 13 home runs hit in the game. The Phillies just hit 2 in the bottom of the ninth to set a new record for home runs in a game by both teams (13).
Dbacks also led off the game with B2B2B HRs. Last time that was done was 2017, by the Dbacks.
Old 06-12-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Braves had never hit 5 homeruns in a game at Suntrust stadium. They've now done it in back-to-back games.

The homer ball used by MLB this year is starting to getting out of hand.
Old 06-14-19, 11:15 AM

The Braves had never hit 5 homeruns in a game at Suntrust stadium. They've now done it in back-to-back games.

The homer ball used by MLB this year is starting to getting out of hand.
Tigers' opponents must be getting to use old balls...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.