Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

Old 06-11-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
So the multi-million dollar question is who rushed Durant to come back as he wasn't fully healed, the team or himself?

Will a team like the Knicks even sign him to a multi year contract knowing the type of injury he has? I feel horrible for the guy.
It's not clear that he was rushed back. The two injuries may be related as the calf and achilles are connected, but this was not a reinjury of the same injury. And ultimately it's his decision, I highly doubt that the team pressured him to play before he felt ready.

I feel horrible for the guy because injuries suck. But I don't feel bad from a contract POV because a) he's already obscenely wealthy and this is hardly a huge financial blow, and b) as I posted above, everyone will still offer him max money, guaranteed, so it won't be a financial blow at all.
Old 06-11-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Even if he's done done, as others have said he can still opt into his contract for another year.

There is also talk that GS basically lost their head performance therapist to the Hawks and completely restructured their medical training staff. Now it's hard to put it all on the new staff because there's an unbelievable amount of wear and tear on the team due to how many games they've played the last five or so years. But even Chuck and the guys were commenting when Durant first got injured that it looked like an achilles, and I can't believe that they could have misdiagnosed him with all the scrutiny around them but if they did, geez.

I'm not sure we'll ever know who's call it was, and players always want to play, but Looney is another one who seemed like he was out of the playoffs when he got injured a couple of games ago, missed only one game, and got reinjured yesterday too.

Also completely forgot about the parallels to Kawhi and the Spurs, which basically drove a wedge between the player and the organization because they couldn't agree on the injury (or something like that, I don't think we ever really got all the details).

Last edited by fujishig; 06-11-19 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-11-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's hard to say what really happened with Durant's injury. Teams and players will lie in public about injuries when it comes to playoff basketball. Was it really a calf injury, or did Durant partially tear his Achilles the first time? Maybe the Warriors' docs made the wrong diagnosis. We probably won't know until after the NBA finals.
Old 06-11-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli View Post
I remember the Sixers signed Elton Brand after tearing his Achilles the year before, and he was never the same. Obviously he's not the same player as Durant, but I'd be hesitant to sign any player in their 30's coming off a major injury with that much mileage. The body just eventually breaks down, and as Charles Barkley says, "Father Time is undefeated."
Brief history of the Knicks:

2001: Knicks extend Allan Houston for a then ridiculous $100 million over six years. Don't get me wrong, he was great for them, but then he was derailed by injury and that contract looked even more ridiculous. The NBA even named an amnesty clause for him to allow players to be waived and avoid a one time tax penalty. the Knicks didn't use it on him. That means that they had even worse contracts they wanted to get off the books.
2005: Knicks president Isiah Thomas trades for Eddy Curry, then gives him a five year, 60 million dollar extension. He played a total of 10 games in the last two years. Among other things, they gave up the 2006 and 2007 first rounders which became LaMarcus Aldridge and Joakim Noah.
2010: The Knicks give Amar'e Stoudemire a five year deal for $100 million. Because of his injury history, they couldn't even get anyone to insure the contract against injury.
2016: The summer where money was just given away, the Knicks gave 31 year old Joakim Noah, coming off a 29 game season, $72 million for four years. He averaged out to 1.3 million per game he actually played in.

They would absolutely max KD if he gave them a chance. Absolutely. And it would be easier to defend than any of these examples. I mean not even mentioned are all the times the Knicks bailed out other teams by taking on contracts, like taking Marbury and Hardaway from the Suns or Bargnani from the Raptors.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-11-19 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-11-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At the beginning of the Finals, they showed Durant with an icepack, not on his calf but what it seems to be his Achilles as news media were hypothesizing. So you are right, we won't find out what was his first injury until Durant divulges it.
Old 06-11-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
So the multi-million dollar question is who rushed Durant to come back as he wasn't fully healed, the team or himself?

Will a team like the Knicks even sign him to a multi year contract knowing the type of injury he has? I feel horrible for the guy.
I think most athletes want to get back as soon as they can (especially for the Finals), so I'm sure both sides knew he was cleared to play while having their fingers crossed that he wasn't 100%. I do go back to the handling of RG3 by Shanahan and the Redskins, and I firmly believe they should have never allowed him to play in that playoff game and it essentially ruined his career as he was never the same after that. It's really a fine line with all athletes who are coming back from injuries, and it all depends on their age. If Durant were 22 years old, there is no way he plays in this series because the Warriors would have him for the next 5-6 years. But this could be his last year in Golden State, and I think the team and Durant agreed to give it a go.
Old 06-11-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I also tore my Achilles tendon at the ripe "old" age of 33 playing in a pick-up basketball game. I heard the pop after coming down
with a rebound. Felt like someone stepped on the back of my left heal. I drove 35 miles homein a standard shift VW. Jumped in the
shower & then in bed & in pain the whole time. Had the wife take me to a military hospital the next morning & got the news from
the doctor. A few days later I was under the knife. Doctor asked if I did any stretching before playing. I said know just jumped on
the court after coming in from the winter cold & start playing. He said your 33 & not a young stud any more. Took my about
16-18 months to start playing sports again.
Old 06-11-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He will be lucky to get back on the court and be as close to the Durant we know at the start of the 20-21 season. I guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 06-12-19, 02:55 AM

I can't believe I'm actually rooting for the Warriors. After that terrible display of Toronto fans at the game and Jurassic Park, I"m really hoping they don't get a chance to celebrate a NBA championship.
Old 06-12-19, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by The_Cube View Post
I can't believe I'm actually rooting for the Warriors. After that terrible display of Toronto fans at the game and Jurassic Park, I"m really hoping they don't get a chance to celebrate a NBA championship.
Same with me. They actually made me feel sorry for a team that has won 3 of the last 4 NBA Titles.
Old 06-12-19, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a bunch of fans on the verge of their first championship, they had no idea how crippling the injury was at the time. Doesn't excuse the reaction but I can completely understand. If I were, say, a Jazz fan in 1998, I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be excited if Jordan came up limping after a play. Not sure I'd cheer for it but I'd certainly be excited.

Lowry's reaction, though, the rest of the players, even Drake were all pure class though.

Either way, this is going to be an underdog story for the Warriors the rest of the way, which you wouldn't really have imagined at the start of the season. When Durant re-signs, rehabs, and comes back at the end of the season next year and they dominate again, we'll all start hating them again.
Old 06-12-19, 10:11 AM

People keep posting there is no excuse for the display of poor sportsmanship and then immediately follow up with excuses.

Old 06-12-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
People keep posting there is no excuse for the display of poor sportsmanship and then immediately follow up with excuses.

There's a difference between completely excusing the reaction and understanding why it happened and not labeling all of them horrible fans.
Old 06-12-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if the injury was obvious (like when Hayward went down) the fans would have reacted differently.
Old 06-12-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
There's a difference between completely excusing the reaction and understanding why it happened and not labeling all of them horrible fans.
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure if the injury was obvious (like when Hayward went down) the fans would have reacted differently.
Thank you. At least there are American fans who understand this.

The knock on Toronto sports fans has always been in regards to apathy and only caring when a team wins except for the Leafs, not how insensitive and classless we are. However, exceptions always applies as for the beer throwing incident during the Blue Jays game. No matter which city you are, there are going to be assholes.
Old 06-13-19, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gonna be tough for GS to pull this game out if Klay can't come back healthy for the 4th quarter.
Old 06-13-19, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Congrats to the Toronto Raptors, 2019 NBA champs!

Old 06-13-19, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had no steak in this series, but the last couple of minutes of this game was fun.
Old 06-13-19, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jeremy Lin becomes the first Asian American player to win an NBA title.

He will now have more championship rings than Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone and John Stockton combined!! And he wasn't even drafted.
Old 06-13-19, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It wasn’t pretty and injuries helped but the Raptors are NBA Champions.
Old 06-13-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Congratulations Toronto and all of Canada Great win. Feel bad about the Warriors injuries but still what a year for the Raptors . They played their hearts out.

Will Kawhi be the first player to win Finals MVP for two different teams? Did Kareem win one for the Lakers?
Old 06-13-19, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We the mother-effn' North!
Old 06-13-19, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Will Kawhi be the first player to win Finals MVP for two different teams? Did Kareem win one for the Lakers?
Didn't Lebron win one with Miami and then Cleveland?
Old 06-13-19, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Forgot that guy!
Old 06-13-19, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doris Burke just said that it's now Kawhi, Lebron, and Kareem. Kind of telling that all 3 only need 1 name.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.