Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

Old 04-25-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Goat3001's Fan Rules:

1 - Don't listen to anything Bill Simmons says.

2 - Life is short. Sports are entertainment. Root for whatever team you want to root for.

If I understand that guy correctly, if you’re from City A and you’re a fan of Team A, then you move to City B where there is no team, you must be loyal to team A. Then, if City B gets an expansion team, you’re forbidden to support it?

All expansion teams siphon fans from other teams. That’s just how it works. The Knights mostly siphoned fans from the Kings and Ducks (who of course previously siphoned fans from the Kings). In my section of season ticket holders, I’ve met former fans of the Sharks, Flyers, Islanders and Black Hawks. Even the Sharks fan was rooting for the Knights in these playoffs.
Old 04-25-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

These playoffs are amazing this year. Consider:

All 4 division winners are out.

All 4 wild card teams advanced

Both of last year’s finalists are out after blowing 3-1 series leads.

Any team can win this thing!
Old 04-25-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Oh sure, it's just for fun, nobody takes the "rules" seriously. Just saying that I'm covered either way . I still am in violation because I root for two NFL teams.

Speaking of the Knights/Sharks series, This just in :

Thursday, April 25, 2019
Knights-Sharks refs won't officiate in 2nd round
By Emily Kaplan
ESPN

Two referees who worked the controversial Game 7 between the Vegas Golden Knights and San Jose Sharks in the first round will not officiate in the second round.

Dan O'Halloran and Eric Furlatt were on the ice for a pivotal major penalty call in the third period that gave the Sharks a five-minute power play. The Sharks scored four times on the man advantage to erase a 3-0 deficit and won the game 5-4 in overtime. The Sharks will face the Colorado Avalanche in the second round.

Controversy stemmed from the fact that neither O'Halloran nor Furlatt signaled for a penalty when Sharks captain Joe Pavelski was cross-checked by Golden Knights forward Cody Eakin in the chest. Pavelski stumbled backward, collided with Vegas forward Paul Stastny and fell to the ice -- hitting his head and then bleeding. As Pavelski was being attended to by trainers, the officials huddled and Eakin was given a major penalty for cross-checking and a game misconduct.

The NHL's Department of Hockey Operations chooses which referees advance in the playoffs, with the pool whittled down after each series. It's especially notable that O'Halloran is not working, considering he leads all active refs in playoff games officiated. Game 7 was O'Halloran's 212th career playoff game.

O'Halloran is expected to miss his first conference final series in over a decade, as a league source told ESPN that referees who aren't chosen for earlier rounds are typically not added later in the playoffs, barring for injuries or other circumstances.

Vegas took exception to the penalty. Forward Jonathan Marchessault delivered strong criticism in the locker room afterward.

"Furlatt said, 'It looks pretty bad.' If it looks pretty bad, then clearly you did not see it," Marchessault said. "It's a faceoff. It's a push. Probably 50 percent of the faceoffs, players -- if they lose -- they probably give a small cross-check, right? If you want to call the cross-check, fine, call it. It's a cross-check. But seriously, he falls bad. It's unfortunate. Don't get me wrong: I'm a huge fan of Joe Pavelski. And he went down, and I really hope he's OK and he comes back. But that call changes the whole outcome. It changes the whole future for us and the outcome this year. It's a joke. I would be embarrassed if I was them."

The NHL, through a pool reporter at Game 7, issued a statement from series officiating supervisor Don Van Massenhoven: "The referees called a cross-checking penalty for an infraction that caused a significant injury. In their judgment, the infraction and its result merited a major penalty."

Vegas coach Gerard Gallant said after the game he wasn't pleased with the explanation he was given by the officials.

"They said he cross-checked him across the face, and as we all saw, that didn't happen," Gallant said. "There was no high-stick that hit him in the face. When Stastny came out, [Pavelski] fell and banged his head on the ice. That's the unfortunate part of it. It was an awful call. We've all seen it. It's too bad we end up losing because of that because we're in control of the hockey game."

According to MoneyPuck.com, the Sharks had a 1.19 percent chance to win the game when they were given the five-minute major.

ESPN's Greg Wyshynski contributed to this report.
Old 04-25-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't want to beat this Eakin major thing to death, but I was reminded of a conversation I had back in college. Sorry if I'm getting analogy-happy, it's just how I think.

A bunch of us students were talking about a recent test, and one guy was going on about a particularly tricky question. He didn't think he got it right, but from the conversation no one else did either. Thus keeping the grade curve in mind, it would probably prove negligible. But then one wise-ass I knew (who would go on to graduate near the top of the class, go figure) said "If you get ALL the questions right, they HAVE to give you an A".

Point being, take care of your own shit, and it doesn't matter what else happens. I fully admit the refs may have not made the right call awarding a 5-minute power play to the Sharks, but I come back to one thing: If Eakin does not cross-check Pavelski, the Knights likely win this game and they're preparing for Colorado right now. It was self-inflicted, no matter what way you look at it. Don't blame the refs for the game 7 loss, blame Cody Eakin for being a cement-head. He's the one that cost Vegas the series. The end.
Old 04-25-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Damfino View Post
These playoffs are amazing this year. Consider:

All 4 division winners are out.

All 4 wild card teams advanced

Both of last yearís finalists are out after blowing 3-1 series leads.

Any team can win this thing!
I read somewhere that's it the first time since divisional play that no divisional winner advanced to the next round.

Old 04-25-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This nbc sports coverage is a fucking joke. Game didnít start until almost 9pm. Then the feed blacks out after a few minutes into the first period. Missed several minutes and the opening goal. Blah.
Old 04-25-19, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, pretty unassisted goal by Vlad.

And a few days early, too.
Old 04-25-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gloria!
Old 04-26-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Wow, pretty unassisted goal by Vlad.
The team as a whole didn't play their best game, but Tarasenko was really strong, both on and off the puck, and Binnington just kept doing his Night King thing.

Old 04-26-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm really proud of the Leafs for not letting me down.
Old 04-26-19, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There goes the Islanders hope of a sweep and two weeks off until the next round. Don't take Carolina lightly.
Old 04-26-19, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sharks' 3rd line did in the Avalanche tonight.
Old 04-27-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Pretty 2nd goal by DAL...and STL responds.
Old 04-27-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Pretty 2nd goal by DAL...and STL responds.
And right back for DAL.
Old 04-27-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
This nbc sports coverage is a fucking joke. Game didnít start until almost 9pm. Then the feed blacks out after a few minutes into the first period. Missed several minutes and the opening goal. Blah.
If I want to get NHL playoff coverage straight from the horse's mouth then I watch HNIC(Hockey Night In Canada).

If I want to get NHL playoff coverage straight from the jackasses mouth then I watch NBCSN.
Old 04-27-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Gem of a game tonight. On NBC...CBC....whatever.

Boston owned that OT, but nothing to show for it.
Old 04-27-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Gem of a game tonight. On NBC...CBC....whatever.

Boston owned that OT, but nothing to show for it.
CBJ converts the power play in 2OT. Great game.

Bob was great in goal in OT.
Old 04-29-19, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stick
Puck
Goal
Win
Bluenotes

Gloria!
Old 04-30-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One day after and the Dallas media are ripping into Esa Lindell's diving/flopping in the 2nd period, concluding that his behavior then made it impossible for the refs to take him seriously when he went down as the Blues'
Patrick Maroon was scoring the game-winning goal.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...obert-bortuzzo

I'm watching the Jackets-Bruins game right now, and during 1st Intermission NBC raised the exact same question. Lindell's actions were better suited to soccer than the NHL, and though Maroon's goal was PROBABLY good, Lindell's earlier flopping guaranteed that Maroon's tally would count.
Old 04-30-19, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deadspin too..... Calling it Karma:

https://deadspin.com/esa-lindell-kep...-co-1834409834

And when Lindell went down in the 3rd, the refs swallowed their whistle, because #23 had no legitimacy with the refs:

There are two possibilities here, and Iím not sure which is true nor do I really have a preference. The first is that Lindell flopped again, but failed to draw a whistle and cost his team the game. The second is that Maroon legitimately knocked him down, but the officials had heard Lindell cry wolf one too many times on the night.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 04-30-19 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 04-30-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Deadspin too..... Calling it Karma:

https://deadspin.com/esa-lindell-kep...-co-1834409834

And when Lindell went down in the 3rd, the refs swallowed their whistle, because #23 had no legitimacy with the refs:
because he flopped again
Old 05-01-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sharks take back home ice with a 4-2 win over the Avs. Was looking a little dicey though after Colorado tied it up. Sharks had so many chances to blow the game open but kept hitting the post.

Wish Burns and Karlsson would stop with all those home run passes from the defensive zone. They frequently don't work leading to turnovers, much like what happened with Colorado's first goal.
Old 05-01-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by shizawn View Post

Wish Burns and Karlsson would stop with all those home run passes from the defensive zone. They frequently don't work leading to turnovers, much like what happened with Colorado's first goal.
Reinstate the offside (aka "two line") pass. I'm totally serious about that.
Old 05-02-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Reinstate the offside (aka "two line") pass. I'm totally serious about that.
While I agree with you, the problem is the NHL will never do that because they want more scoring in the game. I will continue to say that the expansion of the past 20 years (21 teams to 31 teams we have now) dilluted the talent among the league and this was a big reason that scoring went down in the 90's. The NHL thought they would get an influx of European/Russian players after the fall of the Soviet Union which would make up for expansion, but they actually have less Russian players than they did 20 years. Expansion then caused things like 'The Trap' to creep into the game because each team was thinned out with less goal scorers. So finally the NHL opened up the game after the 2005 lockout (taking out the 2 line pass was one huge rule change along with getting rid of clutching/grabbing/hooking) and there have been some negative cause/effect of those rules on the game. They will never go back to those Pre-2005 Lockout rules because they don't want a league that has consistent 2-1 games every night because the product was frankly boring in the late 90's/early 00's. And yet we will team #32 in the next few years to further dillute the talent.......

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.