Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 Tennis Thread

Old 07-20-19, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 2019 Tennis Thread

What's not likable about him off court? On court I can see his intensity and gesticulations being irksome but off court he is gregarious, funny, and humble in defeat.
Old 07-21-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Djokovic simply came along at the wrong time in tennis history to be truly loved. By the time he had established himself as a true Grand Slam contender, most tennis fans had already decided between Nadal and Federer. His early career also got off on the wrong foot with fans - disappointing withdrawals, on-court antics, and letting a little too much of his true persona leak through the media. His early playing style, being almost completely defensive, wasn't the most appealing to many fans.

I think the Lendl comparisons are apt - a coldly efficient tennis legend that beat better loved players and earned himself something of villain status by beating them. I'll admit I loathed Lendl for beating my favorites in the 1980s.
Old 07-22-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I don't have an issue with Djokovic now, but early on, him and his family were acting like complete asses. And as good as he is, he's the equivalent of 13-10 football game. Hard to get excited about that unless you're a purist. For most fans, he's the somewhat bland third wheel in the Rafa/Fed era.
Old 08-10-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Andreescu in the final in Toronto. Pretty good considering she hadn't played since an injury forced her to retire from the FO in May. The last time a Canadian won this (and it was called the Canadian Open then) was in 1969.

Aside from that, I went to the qualies a couple of times in Montreal. And oddly enough, the Montreal tournament is now the only one I can't see on tv, because it's the only one on Rogers Sportnet, and I cancelled that with my new provider because it was costing me $6/month for stuff I never watch (Toronto baseball, basketball, hockey).
Old 08-10-19, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Andreescu in the final in Toronto. Pretty good considering she hadn't played since an injury forced her to retire from the FO in May. The last time a Canadian won this (and it was called the Canadian Open then) was in 1969.
Great to see Bianca back on the court and even better that she's kept up her winning ways.

Good luck to her in the final.
Old 08-11-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A bit of a let down since Serena retired after 4 games, but good job Bianca!
Old 08-11-19, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
A bit of a let down since Serena retired after 4 games, but good job Bianca!
I missed the match, but then again I guess I didn't really

Grats to Bianca on her 2nd WTA win!
Old 08-17-19, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

An in-form Medvedev takes down Djokovic. Third final in a row for the Russian.
Old 08-17-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't get to watch the match but I've heard Medvedev served out of his mind in the second and third sets.
Old 08-18-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not just the serve, he was much more aggressive in the last 2 sets. Good to see a young player with a plan B. You're not gonna beat Rafa or Djokovic by being a human backboard.
Old 08-19-19, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The father and coach of 17yo Amanda Anisomova passed away Monday. No idea what this will do to her career long term,in the short term she has pulled out of next weeks Us Open. Sad news either way
Old 08-20-19, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
The father and coach of 17yo Amanda Anisomova passed away Monday. No idea what this will do to her career long term,in the short term she has pulled out of next weeks Us Open. Sad news either way
That is brutal - he was always right there by her side and had pretty much built her entire game. That is going to slow her promising future.