Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Old 01-08-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

At least Kiffin was the USC Offensive Coordinator for a couple of years with some successful teams before Davis inexplicably hired him to coach the Raiders. Kingsbury was the OC for like a month in the offseason. Next I suspect someone is going to hire the USC Offensive Coordinator candidates as an NFL head coach. Oh wait, the Jets are still on the board, maybe they're waiting to see who's coming in for an interview in socal.
Old 01-08-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
At least Kiffin was the USC Offensive Coordinator for a couple of years with some successful teams before Davis inexplicably hired him to coach the Raiders. Kingsbury was the OC for like a month in the offseason. Next I suspect someone is going to hire the USC Offensive Coordinator candidates as an NFL head coach. Oh wait, the Jets are still on the board, maybe they're waiting to see who's coming in for an interview in socal.
you don't think being an extremely successful OC at two different colleges, and then being head coach at another school for 6 years (with a pretty successful offense, but a mediocre record), is enough relevant experience? Not to mention that Kingsbury was a highly successful player in college, and spent a few years "playing" (on the bench) in the NFL and played NFL Europe too. Not remotely like Kiffin's situation.

Last edited by LurkerDan; 01-08-19 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-08-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Arizona Kardinals

Old 01-08-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Apparently the Cardinals paid USC a $150K buyout to get him. Total chump change for the Kards.

Mike Garafolo on NFL Network said a bunch of coaches and former coaches are scratching their heads about this hire.
Old 01-08-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I knew the Jets were looking at him, so glad he went elsewhere.
Old 01-08-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everyone keeps talking about how this is an OC league, they're all trying to hire the hot new OC. This one's no different.
Old 01-08-19, 06:00 PM
Banned

Falcons just brought back Koetter to be OC. Broncos blocked us from Kubiak so not a lot of options
Old 01-08-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Redeyejoker View Post
Falcons just brought back Koetter to be OC. Broncos blocked us from Kubiak so not a lot of options
Latest rumor is that Denver/Elway plans to hire Fangio as HC with Kubiak as OC.

Other finalists
Cleveland-Kitchens or Stefanski
NYJ - Monken or McCarthy

Last edited by JoeySeven; 01-08-19 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-08-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Considering many potential candidates didn't even want to be considered for the Arizona job, they probably feel pressured to pounce on the first offensive minded coach that said yes to them, rather than waiting til everybody else had filled their vacancies and the Cardnials were left holding the bag.
Old 01-08-19, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk God

From what I hear from my source, Cards had been targeting him all along and were freaking out he took the Jets interview first. I am not a fan of the hire, personally, but counterpoint is this: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/ran...delphia-eagles
Old 01-08-19, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
From what I hear from my source, Cards had been targeting him all along and were freaking out he took the Jets interview first. I am not a fan of the hire, personally, but counterpoint is this: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/ran...delphia-eagles

or they hired he because he is a friend of Sean McVay...per local source.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cardina...021926098.html

If they do just as bad next here not fire him they will have a shit storm on their hands for firing a black coach so fast with no reason other than losses which 8 months really isnít giving the guy a chance. This is from almost all major sports talk today
Old 01-08-19, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Buccaneers hire Bruce Arians as next head coach - NFL.com

Arians officially hired as Bucs head coach. Bucs and Kards also swapped draft picks in the deal.
Old 01-08-19, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk God

or they hired he because he is a friend of Sean McVay...per local source.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cardina...021926098.html

If they do just as bad next here not fire him they will have a shit storm on their hands for firing a black coach so fast with no reason other than losses which 8 months really isnít giving the guy a chance. This is from almost all major sports talk today
Being s friend of someone had nothing to do with the hire. It had to do with who they thought was best offensive guy for the job.
Old 01-08-19, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Being s friend of someone had nothing to do with the hire. It had to do with who they thought was best offensive guy for the job.

so so then why even put that in the article and quickly edit the article.

Thye will be last in the division again especially if Garoppolo comes back fine
Old 01-09-19, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
you don't think being an extremely successful OC at two different colleges, and then being head coach at another school for 6 years (with a pretty successful offense, but a mediocre record), is enough relevant experience? Not to mention that Kingsbury was a highly successful player in college, and spent a few years "playing" (on the bench) in the NFL and played NFL Europe too. Not remotely like Kiffin's situation.
He was fired from his last job, and apparently no college team wanted anything to do with him as their head coach (or he thought being the USC offensive coordinator under a seemingly lame duck coach was better for his resume). Three straight losing seasons, six straight losing seasons in conference (and he only coached for six years). Never been an OC at the NFL level. I don't think Kiffin comparisons are that out of line. It's hard to remember, especially because the NCAA vacated a lot of those wins, but Kiffin's time as OC at USC produced some outstanding numbers, and he was in charge of recruiting some great classes. Of course, most of it was because Al Davis was cheap.

I think Patrick Mahomes (and the fact he recruited Mayfield and Webb) has more to do with his hiring than being friends with McVay. And if he can actually turn Rosen around in Goff-like fashion, it'll probably be worth it. But to have that kind of record as a head coach, then getting fired, and then getting basically a promotion to the big leagues, well, that seems pretty rare.
Old 01-09-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Felger(of Felger & Mazz,Boston Sports Hub Radio) was mentioning yesterday that having a good running game doesn't mean anything.

He is of the belief that every NFL QB is HoF material no matter their career W-L record or success or failure during the playoffs..

My question is -Where does Mathew(Never Won A Playoff Game) Stafford rank is passing yardage over the last ten seasons?

The point I am trying too prove is passing yardage is meaningless(especially when your team is constantly trailing in the game).
We don't call him Stat Padford for nothing around here. I don't think Matt's "impressive" yardage is HoF worthy nor do I think Eli's two Super Bowls makes him HoF worthy. I think it's a sustained level of excellence and leadership. I do think Eli will be an excellent host on some pre-game program some day though.
Old 01-09-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
He was fired from his last job, and apparently no college team wanted anything to do with him as their head coach (or he thought being the USC offensive coordinator under a seemingly lame duck coach was better for his resume). Three straight losing seasons, six straight losing seasons in conference (and he only coached for six years). Never been an OC at the NFL level. I don't think Kiffin comparisons are that out of line. It's hard to remember, especially because the NCAA vacated a lot of those wins, but Kiffin's time as OC at USC produced some outstanding numbers, and he was in charge of recruiting some great classes. Of course, most of it was because Al Davis was cheap.

I think Patrick Mahomes (and the fact he recruited Mayfield and Webb) has more to do with his hiring than being friends with McVay. And if he can actually turn Rosen around in Goff-like fashion, it'll probably be worth it. But to have that kind of record as a head coach, then getting fired, and then getting basically a promotion to the big leagues, well, that seems pretty rare.
I wasn't commenting on whether he was a good hire or not. But the Kiffin comparison is definitely not a good one. Kiffin was a successful college OC at one stop before getting hired as an NFL HC. KK was a successful OC at 2 different schools and THEN was HC of another school for 6 years. Again, you can argue he's a bad hire or not, but his resume is nothing like Kiffin's at the time of Kiffin's hire.
Old 01-09-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Kingsbury hire was made to salvage the Rosen pick, plain and simple. If he doesn't improve fast, they will both be gone by 2021.
Old 01-09-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get that the Browns don't want to lose Kitchen but not giving the job to Williams is just stupid. Honestly I don't think that Kitchens will get a HC job this cycle anyway. Do they think that Williams will accept a demotion back to DC?
Old 01-09-19, 12:48 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Denver is hiring Fangio.
Old 01-09-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

so so then why even put that in the article and quickly edit the article.

Thye will be last in the division again especially if Garoppolo comes back fine
Because some dipshit PR guy wrote it without thinking
Old 01-09-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
We don't call him Stat Padford for nothing around here. I don't think Matt's "impressive" yardage is HoF worthy nor do I think Eli's two Super Bowls makes him HoF worthy. I think it's a sustained level of excellence and leadership. I do think Eli will be an excellent host on some pre-game program some day though.
The one Superbowl that Eli won was when the Giants only went 9-7 during the regular season but got hot at the right time.
Old 01-09-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
The one Superbowl that Eli won was when the Giants only went 9-7 during the regular season but got hot at the right time.
He definitely did get hot at the right time:

Old 01-09-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

JJ got a 250mil, 357 foot boat.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...50million.html
Old 01-09-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

The best thing about that yacht is that Dan Snyder's yacht is 2/3 the size and 1/3 the price. Fuck Dan Snyder.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.