Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The all-inclusive 2018-19 football/futbal/fußball/voetbal/calcio/soccer thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The all-inclusive 2018-19 football/futbal/fußball/voetbal/calcio/soccer thread

Old 06-20-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The all-inclusive 2018-19 football/futbal/fußball/voetbal/calcio/soccer thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Mexico beat Canada last night 3-1. They play Martinique Sunday evening. Looks like Mexico is going to sweep up their class
Was always going to be a tough one for us vs Mexico. Good effort though and I think the team is heading in the right direction.

Old 06-22-19, 10:13 PM

Re: The all-inclusive 2018-19 football/futbal/fußball/voetbal/calcio/soccer thread

Africa Cup of Nations, always entertaining, is currently underway for those interested. Burundi gave Nigeria all they could handle, and probably should have won, but Nigeria holds for the 1-0 victory.
Old 06-23-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Africa Cup of Nations, always entertaining, is currently underway for those interested. Burundi gave Nigeria all they could handle, and probably should have won, but Nigeria holds for the 1-0 victory.
So much going on right now with AFCON, EuroU21s, WWC, Copa and the Gold Cup!
Old 06-23-19, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
So much going on right now with AFCON, EuroU21s, WWC, Copa and the Gold Cup!
Agreed. Follows is my opinionated ranked viewing guide.

Based on quality of play, skill level, star power, story lines, and overall entertainment value:
  1. Copa America: The clear leader for a neutral. Venezuela, Uruguay, Colombia, and a possibly resurgent Neymar-less Brasil provide more story lines and entertainment than necessary for any tournament. However, The Story is Argentina and Messi. Not looking good so far, unfortunately.
  2. Women's World Cup: France v. USA in quarters promises to be epic. England Norway not too shabby either.
  3. AFCON: Wildly entertaining with more than enough star power. You can't ever separate the political background, shady federations, bad pitches, and witch doctors. So, what they may lack in overall quality of play, it is so much fun to view.
  4. Gold Cup: local rooting interest the primary motivation here. Some star power and known names make up for lack of quality of play.
  5. Euro U21s: Stars of tomorrow on display, along with some of the present. The big four are the class of the tourny. I personally would watch this over the Gold Cup, but not true for most in North America.
Old 06-23-19, 01:45 PM

To further the point of too much going on, Brazil-France, the match of the WWC tournament so far begins @ 3:00, the same time as Argentina in must win v. Qatar. Even a win may not be enough.

Sadly, I missed England-Cameroon WWC match. Plenty of controversy.
Old 06-24-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk God

From beyond mid-field in the 92nd minute....for the win in the Malaysia Cup semis.

Old 06-24-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rafa and Newcastle do not seem to be coming to terms on a new contract:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/newcastl...castle-manager
Old 06-28-19, 07:59 PM

Highly entertaining match going on between Colombia-Chile. Typical South American affair with all that entails. Very bruising.
Old 07-01-19, 06:59 AM

For B.A.:

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/0...ootball-scene/

Interesting read regardless.
Old 07-01-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-01-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good for Lamps.

Was trying to think of the last time one of the top 6 had an English manager.

Old 07-02-19, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Good for Lamps.

Was trying to think of the last time one of the top 6 had an English manager.
In 2013-14 Tim Sherwood managed Spurs for the last half of the season, taking over from Andres Villas-Boas. They finished sixth. He was then sacked two days after the end of the season.
Old 07-02-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
In 2013-14 Tim Sherwood managed Spurs for the last half of the season, taking over from Andres Villas-Boas. They finished sixth. He was then sacked two days after the end of the season.
Well Lamps has something to shoot for then!
Old 07-04-19, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
For B.A.:

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/0...ootball-scene/

Interesting read regardless.
Danke schoen.
Old 07-07-19, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Watching the Mexico vs USA game. It's still 0-0. Man, they're both aggressive as hell but Mexico is choking at the net - they're not taking advantage of these opportunities they're getting.

Yes, I want Mexico to win.
Old 07-07-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sweet goal by Mexico - The USA goalkeeper just froze. 1-0 Mexico. They're playing this game in Chicago and it's practically all Mexican fans at the stadium.
Old 07-07-19, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Whoop whoop! Mexico wins 1-0!
Old 07-08-19, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow did the US squander a lot of scoring chances. Also hard to understand a lot of Berhalter's second half choices.
Old 07-08-19, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Wow did the US squander a lot of scoring chances. Also hard to understand a lot of Berhalter's second half choices.
He was head coach of Columbus for several seasons and we never understood his bizarre substitutions.
Old 07-12-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Barcelona paid €120 Million for his release from Atletico and they sign him to a 5 year deal with a €800 Million buyout release clause which is higher than Messi.
Old 07-17-19, 06:08 PM

He's a lot younger than Messi.
Old 07-18-19, 12:12 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I may be the only one but I am not all that pumped about having on the team. Hoping I am wrong but not sure he fits with the team (and I think he is all about himself and not the team). I feel Barca really needed to sure up the defense and replace Suarez who IMHO has gone downhill the last couple of years and its time to find a new striker.

Coutinho whom I am fan of has never worked for this team and was a bad purchase - he can go (sad to say).

Dembele - flashes of brilliance as expected but extremely inconsistent and is pretty much as fragile as 10,000 year old glass in the hands of a toddler - not durable at all. Not only that but don't know if he is truly dedicated and wants to be a great player or just someone getting a check

Malcolm - waste of money, decent player but was never meant for Barca and they misused him anyway

Neymar - don't care and frankly don't want him back or his piss poor attitude (on and off the field)

Rakitic - love how hard he works and hate to lose him but he isn't a young buck anymore and never had speed to begin with which hurts his game. He plays an important but unforgiving role on the team

Busquets - need to find a replacement for him as well and he did not have a good year last year at all

DeJong - great pick up and I hope he grows into the Barca player they need - he could/is the MF future of this club

Artur - same as above but quite different than DeJong - needs more time on the field with the first team

Vidal - not a fan, while he did some important stuff last year I just don't get the love for him. I realize he is an enforcer type but I just feel he gets beat too often with his rash challenges and poor decisions

Umtiti - was supposed to be CB of the future for Barca - that injury last year and his unwillingness to do surgery for it has radically changed things. Llenglet had great moments but was far too inconsistent, defense is a massive issue on this team

Semedo - still think he is the man for the job at RB - Roberto showed time and time again he can handle the job against lesser teams but not against the big clubs

Roberto - no clue what to do with this guy, he is good in lots of different positions but not great/stellar at any of them. You need guys like this but not if you have better options to start

Rafinha - needs to go, too injury prone and inconsistent to be at a big club

Alenya - future of the MF supposedly but man does he need to clean up his passing

I think this is season is going to be a tough one for the club. They will have a fight for the league and I expect them to come up short in CL again. Messi is not getting any younger and they have no clue what to do w/o him anyway. Team needs to have more games where he rests (yes I know he never does) and start figuring it out.