Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Old 02-11-19, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
They should also have uniforms that don't look like Pro Bowl uniforms. It wouldn't hurt to do some ticket giveaways and have more than a few thousand in the stands. Watching this Arizona Hotshots game and the sparsely populated seats makes me think of the home crowds for the Miami Hurricanes.
The San Antonio and Atlanta unis are ok but the rest look like trash.

Who came up with the name the Arizona Hotshots?

Really?

They couldn't come up with something more creative?
Old 02-11-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The XFL has a twitter account and a fan was asking if they could have better team nicknames than the AAF. Ain't that the truth.

I think I am getting old when new teams can't think of a decent nickname.

They might not be interested in selling t-shirts,jersey's,etc.

Look at the MLS. Half the teams are FC or United. Must do wonder's for merchandise sells.

There was a lot of controversy over the name Arizona Hotshots in Arizona.

Who owns the right's to the old USFL team names?
Old 02-12-19, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can watch this as background noise during dinner or brushing my teeth but I don't know if I can sit more than 2 full hours and I want a break from football and watch the other shows collected on my DVR which I had no time to watch during the NFL season.

At least the games are suppose to be only 2 and 1/2 hrs long which is a good thing.

I forgot about Alex Flanagan and the NFL Network gave her the studio hosting gig.
Old 02-12-19, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think they should have waited a few weeks before starting so people would be hungry for pro football again and the weather might be a little bit better.

The tv ratings are much too do about nothing unless they hold up over time.
Old 02-12-19, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I think they should have waited a few weeks before starting so people would be hungry for pro football again and the weather might be a little bit better.
Yeah, but you can't have people playing football in San Antonio and Birmingham in June and July (well, you could, but players would be passing out).

The biggest problem with the AAF long term is that it's essentially been set up as a "development" league for the NFL - so it will never/can never have true "superstar" players. One of the things that made the USFL last a few years is because they went out and signed big names like Herschel Walker and Doug Flutie (and was the starting point for people like Reggie White and Jim Kelly). The way the AAF is set up, it's unlikely talent like that is ever going to show up.
Old 02-12-19, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
The biggest problem with the AAF long term is that it's essentially been set up as a "development" league for the NFL - so it will never/can never have true "superstar" players. One of the things that made the USFL last a few years is because they went out and signed big names like Herschel Walker and Doug Flutie (and was the starting point for people like Reggie White and Jim Kelly). The way the AAF is set up, it's unlikely talent like that is ever going to show up.
Don't forget Steve Young. It blows my mind that in 2019 he's still getting paid from his USFL contract. 40m contract over 43 years - his last year is 2027.

Last edited by Coral; 02-12-19 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-12-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Yeah, but you can't have people playing football in San Antonio and Birmingham in June and July (well, you could, but players would be passing out).

They play regular season games in the CFL during June and July and it does get warm north of the border.

Plus the AAF season is only 10 weeks so the season would still be over in April.
Old 02-12-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Don't forget Steve Young. It blows my mind that in 2019 he's still getting paid from his USFL contract. 40m contract over 43 years - his last year is 2027.
Sadly doesn't appear to be true. He didn't keep up with the annuity ...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/flashback-steve-youngs-43-year-40-million-usfl-contract/

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nf...134553866.html
Old 02-12-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was reading about the closing days of the USFL and Steve Young (LA Express) because they had no other player had to play FB.
Old 02-13-19, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
They play regular season games in the CFL during June and July and it does get warm north of the border.
I'm sure it does, but it doesn't get Texas and Alabama "warm."
Old 02-14-19, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like what I saw.
Offense Lines aren't too good. Hackenberg is still a HACK!
I will be back next weekend to watch games.
Old 02-14-19, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk God

My buddy put $50 on the Hotshots to win it all while he's in Laughlin right now. The sports book guy said that was the 1st bet he's taken on the AAF.
Old 02-16-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy crap, there can't be more than 2,000-3,000 people in the stands in Birmingham today.

Realized when looking up their stadium that Birmingham had a football team in every non-NFL pro league imaginable - WFL, AFA, USFL, WLAF, CFL, XFL and now AAF.
Old 02-16-19, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The kicker for Salt Lake missed a potentially tying FG as bad as that ass hat Vikings kicker who missed at the end of the game in the playoffs vs Seattle years ago.
Old 02-17-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All they do is kick field goals and every game is like a Tampa Bay Bucs late 90's-early 2000's game with no scoring.
Old 02-18-19, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Atlanta Legends the only team with a decent helmet and uni combo

Old 02-18-19, 09:43 PM

I was watching that game (ATL vs. S.D.) and didn't like that the two teams uniforms looked alike. One team should have been wearing white in there somewhere.

Last edited by sportsfan64; 02-18-19 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There was a game in the NFL back in the 1960s where the LIons and Vikings either wore the same road or home uniforms and the NFL made the Vikings change jersey's at halftime.
Old 02-19-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2019/02...nhl-owner.html

Not looking good for the AAF. The owner of the Carolina Hurricanes put in $250M to keep the league from going under after week 2.

The Alliance of American Football almost didn’t make it to Week 2.

According to The Athletic, if not for a $250 million investment from Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon, the upstart league would have had to fold.

Pro Football Talk reported there was a delay in players receiving their checks Friday, so the league clearly was on thin ice.

So Dundon stepped in, and now will be named AAF chairman, taking over the entire developmental league. The league owns all eight teams, and assigns the players. Dundon told the Raleigh News & Observer he had initially passed on investing, but reconsidered when AAF started having the financial hardship.

The 47-year-old Dundon became the majority owner of the Hurricanes in January 2018.

Old 02-19-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was wondering who was paying their bills?

Even with decent tv contracts,it mean's nothing if players don't get paid.

Plus it will be harder now to get better players since the word is out about their money problems.

It makes no sense going into smaller markets and generating little fan interest where there is more of a chance for success in larger market.

At least I thought the caliber of play was much better in week 2 especially the Sunday games.

I am sure the XFL is paying close attention to the AAF situation and if things turn for the worst then I think that will make the XFL start that much more difficult because of the unknown future of these new leagues.

Last edited by dvd-4-life; 02-19-19 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 12:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Watched much of a Sunday game and it was pretty entertaining.
Old 02-19-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

CBS Sports website reported that there was a glitch in the payroll system was why there was a delay for some players not receiving payment on time.
Old 02-19-19, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I find it hard to believe they didn’t have financing secured for operations beyond the first week. Then again, the business world these days makes absolutely no (common) sense.
Old 02-20-19, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
The Atlanta Legends might be the only team with a decent uniform

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
The Atlanta Legends the only team with a decent helmet and uni combo

Jeff, you've posted this on 2/4 and again on 2/18, so please remember to make this identical post again after another 14 days, okay?

Last edited by kenbuzz; 02-20-19 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Read briefly(can't go to website because I won't shut off ad blocker) that Orlando's AAF team has to practice in Georgia because of Florida Workman Comp Laws.

Also Arizona's Head Coach thinks that the XFL might be spreading bad press about the AAF(league has money problems).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.