Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Old 09-25-18, 10:56 AM
  #26  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 11,756
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Other teams have been named:
San Diego Fleet
Arizona Hotshots
Salt Lake Stallions
San Antonio Commanders
Yikes. The only decent name is Stallions. The others aren't very good.

Hotshots? Ugh.
Coral is offline  
Old 09-25-18, 12:04 PM
  #27  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 33,891
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

I might have shared this story years ago, but talk of new leagues always brings this to mind. My best friend works in the NFL (Titans media now), and early in his career was deciding between job offers. He could intern a second year with the Packers, or get a promotion and come home to work with the new Professional Spring Football League.

He choose poorly. In the couple days it took him to move back to this area, the league basically folded. He showed up at the team offices and staff there hadn’t been paid in weeks and were all looking for other jobs. He tried to scramble back into the NFL but all the interns were in place by then and he had to spend a year out of the league before getting a second chance.

One highlight of the local franchise’s ineptitude was that they placed a big ad in the Washington Post advertising themselves and their job openings, player and staff, but with a huge typo calling themselves part of the professional Springfield (a local town) football league.
Trevor is offline  
Old 09-25-18, 12:19 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,404
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

I can't count how many new pro football leagues have come and gone without playing a game.

There was supposed to be a new USFL Never happened. One of the founders(of the newer USFL) got in trouble with the law.

There was one league that was supposed to play two exhibition games on ESPN plus they purchased the names of the old USFL teams and that never got off the ground.

Back in 1983 (when the first USFL got started) there was supposed to be The Pioneer Football League(never played a game).
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 11-27-18, 11:19 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 727
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

AAF had their QB draft today. Among the big names were Aaron Murray, Christian Hackenberg, Scott Tolzien, and Matt Simms. They'll all be household names Feb 9, 2019.
https://aaf.com/live-the-alliance-of...terback-draft/

sportsfan64 is offline  
Old 11-28-18, 11:39 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,404
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

The XFL continues too do Jack Squat.

No announcement's what so ever.

No tv contract,no teams and no players. Just Oliver Luck as Commish.

Doubt if it ever get's off the ground.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 11-28-18, 12:49 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,521
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Originally Posted by sportsfan64 View Post
AAF had their QB draft today. Among the big names were Aaron Murray, Christian Hackenberg, Scott Tolzien, and Matt Simms. They'll all be household names Feb 9, 2019.
https://aaf.com/live-the-alliance-of...terback-draft/

What's funny is if it they keep the same rules as the NFL the QB's should do really well given most of the players on defense could be far less than average. The skill position talent on offense could end up being pretty decent with the better players getting NFL camp invites next season.
hdnmickey is offline  
Old 11-28-18, 05:21 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,404
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Finally some XFL news.

According to many sources(including St. Louis Post-Dispatch),St. Louis will be the first city awarded a team in the new league.

Plus the 7 other cities are expected to be named next week.

Here's hoping no domed stadium teams but it looks like St. Louis will be playing inside.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 11-28-18, 06:39 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 5,768
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I might have shared this story years ago, but talk of new leagues always brings this to mind. My best friend works in the NFL (Titans media now), and early in his career was deciding between job offers. He could intern a second year with the Packers, or get a promotion and come home to work with the new Professional Spring Football League.

He choose poorly. In the couple days it took him to move back to this area, the league basically folded. He showed up at the team offices and staff there hadnít been paid in weeks and were all looking for other jobs. He tried to scramble back into the NFL but all the interns were in place by then and he had to spend a year out of the league before getting a second chance.

One highlight of the local franchiseís ineptitude was that they placed a big ad in the Washington Post advertising themselves and their job openings, player and staff, but with a huge typo calling themselves part of the professional Springfield (a local town) football league.
Did he get a chance to sharpen his pencil?

Deadman31 is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 02:02 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,404
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

On December 5th at noon EST at XFL.com the league will announce the 8 teams for their first season,


The cities rumored:
Dallas
Houston
Los Angeles
New York
St. Louis
Seattle
Tampa
Washington DC
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 12-06-18, 02:59 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,404
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Welcome the Freedom Football League(according to the ESPN website).

The league has ex-NFL players backing it(Ricky Williams,Terrell Owens and Simeon Rice) with many ex NFL players as stake holders.

They want to start with ten teams:
San Diego Warriors
Oklahoma City Power
Portland Progress
Texas Revolution
Ohio Players
Florida Strong
Birmingham Kings
St. Louis Independence
Connecticut Underground
Oakland Panthers

They don't know what year they will start playing but it's planned for spring and summer.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 12-06-18, 03:34 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,723
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Welcome the Freedom Football League(according to the ESPN website).

The league has ex-NFL players backing it(Ricky Williams,Terrell Owens and Simeon Rice) with many ex NFL players as stake holders.

They want to start with ten teams:
San Diego Warriors
Oklahoma City Power
Portland Progress
Texas Revolution
Ohio Players
Florida Strong
Birmingham Kings
St. Louis Independence
Connecticut Underground
Oakland Panthers

They don't know what year they will start playing but it's planned for spring and summer.
Sweet! And from my home town too!

kenbuzz is offline  
Old 12-07-18, 04:17 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,404
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Someone on Twitter mentioned that the Texas Revolution name was already used as an indoor pro football team .
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 01-22-19, 10:56 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,404
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

According to the Awful Announcing website the Alliance of American Football League may have some games televised by the NFL Network while the XFL is still working on a deal with either Fox or ESPN.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 01-23-19, 12:46 AM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 11,756
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
According to the Awful Announcing website the Alliance of American Football League may have some games televised by the NFL Network...
If that's true, then I have to believe the NFL is thinking of the AAFL as a farm league instead of the competition.
Coral is offline  
Old 01-23-19, 10:33 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,404
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

,
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
If that's true, then I have to believe the NFL is thinking of the AAFL as a farm league instead of the competition.
There has been rumor's for years that the NFL would start up it's own minor league but so far it hasn't happened.

I was reading the other day that it's becoming much harder for football leagues to get insurance because of the high rate of injuries and because of this makes me wonder why there is any attempt by three different leagues to give it a go and start playing. So far it looks like one will be playing and the XFL and Freedom Football League haven't shown as much.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 01-23-19, 10:46 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 11,756
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
,

There has been rumor's for years that the NFL would start up it's own minor league but so far it hasn't happened.
Yea, and it may never happen. I think the NFL likes having other leagues kick around as an un-affiliated minor league system - most of the benefits, none of the responsibility.

So far it looks like one will be playing and the XFL and Freedom Football League haven't shown as much.
The AAFL seems to have a big lead over the other two. It's an uphill battle to begin with, and having 3 new leagues fighting it out will make it tougher for all three of them to stay in business.
You figure at some point there'd be some discussion of pooling resources to join the three leagues to increase their chances.
Coral is offline  
Old 01-23-19, 01:16 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,404
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

The CFL is probably the biggest unofficial NFL farm system.

Still don't know why the CFL tries another USA expansion. It's bound too be for successful than it's first attempt .
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 01-23-19, 01:43 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,384
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

No, college football is, obviously.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 01-23-19, 02:09 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 11,756
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
No, college football is, obviously.
Can you consider it a farm system if the players are unavailable to NFL teams while they're still playing in college?
Coral is offline  
Old 01-23-19, 03:28 PM
  #45  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,520
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Can you consider it a farm system if the players are unavailable to NFL teams while they're still playing in college?
Sure, it's not like baseball where each team has their own farm. But a lot of players are obviously there grooming (or for some, just biding time) for the NFL in general.

How many CFL (in recent years) players come to the NFL?
The Cow is offline  
Old 01-23-19, 06:08 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 11,756
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Sure, it's not like baseball where each team has their own farm. But a lot of players are obviously there grooming (or for some, just biding time) for the NFL in general.

How many CFL (in recent years) players come to the NFL?
Not saying the CFL has more players come to the NFL, just clearing up what can be considered a farm system and what the criteria is.
Coral is offline  
Old 01-23-19, 06:19 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,404
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

If college players are so great then there should be about 100 NFL teams.

NFL teams dump their older players and replace them with college players because it's cheaper.

If the brand of college football was so great then there would be all kind's of pro leagues(which there aren't and there have been many failures).

The USFL came at the right time but expanded too fast and gave out too many big money contracts and wanted to move to the fall(and that was their downfall).
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 01-23-19, 07:01 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 19,459
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

I know it isn't all NFL fans, but could the blow back on the NFL officiating this year improve viewership of these alternate leagues?
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 01-23-19, 09:59 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,404
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I know it isn't all NFL fans, but could the blow back on the NFL officiating this year improve viewership of these alternate leagues?
The Saints got a gift from the ref's a few weeks ago that no one remembers(phantom PI call against Steelers) that basically eliminated the Steelers from the playoffs.

So bad calls usually even out except if you are the Patriots.

I think people might just be burned out on pro football is one reason why it's not a good idea too start the week after the Super Bowl rather than wait a few weeks.

I would expect caliber of play too be far below CFL standards.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 01-28-19, 02:40 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,404
Re: New Pro Football League(s) Thread

(Alliance of American Football))- Nick Folk(K) has signed with Arizona according to ESPN website.

Season is less than 2 weeks away.
dvd-4-life is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.