DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-12-18, 08:22 AM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

2018 NBA Off-Season Thread

Knicks fire coach Jeff Hornacek after two seasons

Magic fire coach Frank Vogel after two seasons.
Old 04-12-18, 08:34 AM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2018 NBA Off-Season Thread

I don't think Jeff Hornacek really brought anything special to the table. I didn't dislike him as a coach but didn't like him enough to say that it's a mistake to let him go. This may have been an uphill battle from the start for Hornacek as he was hired by Phil Jackson and inherited by Scott Perry. It's possible Perry has been looking to get his own coach in for awhile now. Which is fine, GM's and coaches being tied together isn't anything crazy.

But I do think that what you need is a strong, consistent message. So the plan has to be that whoever is hired next needs to stick around for a long time and go through the rebuild. You can't keep dumping coaches after 2-3 seasons. After all, it's not exactly their fault the Knicks suck.
Old 04-12-18, 08:37 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing against Hornacek but he was never going to get the Knicks over the hump. They need to get rid of some of the players on the roster and look to drafting a few more key players over the coming two years. Also, we will have to see how Porzingis recovers from his knee surgery. I am not sold on the guy ever staying healthy for full NBA seasons or being the stud player we hope he can be on a daily basis. I hope he can be as I have a handful of his jerseys.
Old 04-12-18, 11:05 AM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

2 names that get mentioned often are Van Gundy and Mark Jackson. One would be a good hire, the other awful.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-12-18, 11:25 AM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Nothing against Hornacek but he was never going to get the Knicks over the hump. They need to get rid of some of the players on the roster and look to drafting a few more key players over the coming two years. Also, we will have to see how Porzingis recovers from his knee surgery. I am not sold on the guy ever staying healthy for full NBA seasons or being the stud player we hope he can be on a daily basis. I hope he can be as I have a handful of his jerseys.
There's a father-son combo on fire-sale that would fill in both the coaching vacancy and the irrational confidence vacancy, maybe Dolan will bite.

EinCB posted this article in the regular season thread but I'll repost it here since Doc is rumored to be moving to New York or Orlando:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ers-break-them

It's got a lot of great stuff, but something that is super important for coaches and was key to even Pop sticking around:
Quote:
Organizational principles can travel in the NBA, but unless you have a Tim Duncan or a Kevin Garnett -- the latter of whom believed deeply in chain of command in Boston and appointed himself the carrier of those principles -- the messages tend to get lost in translation. Such was the case in Los Angeles, where there was also another variable that didn't carry over from the Celtics to the Clippers.

"We had early success [in Boston]," Pierce says. "From day one, we came out winning and won a championship. When you have success, the trust is now there. It's easier because you always have that to lean on. From that point on, it's downhill. 'We did it before, so we can do it again.' Doc didn't have that with the Clippers. They didn't even get to the Western Conference finals, so now people get tired of each other and lose trust in each other. That's what I saw."
It's a players league. Obviously success matters, but as soon as you lose the ear of your superstars, you're done, it doesn't matter what you did in a past life. Having a guy like Duncan or Garnett back you up is essential. Doc at least has the ex-player experience and the championship pedigree, so obviously his leash was/is longer.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-12-18 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-12-18, 10:05 PM   #6
DVD Talk God

Hopefully the Suns are rewarded with the top pick this year.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 04-13-18, 10:50 AM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Clifford is fired by the Hornets. I guess Mitch wants his own coach.

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-13-18, 11:16 AM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Clifford is fired by the Hornets. I guess Mitch wants his own coach.
If they get rid of Kemba, it seems like the time is ripe for Tank Commander Scott.
Old 04-13-18, 11:51 AM   #9
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Hopefully the Suns are rewarded with the top pick this year.
"Rewarded" seems like the wrong word to use to describe tanking -- especially on a team not nearly as devoid of talent as many of the other bottom-dwellers. Devin Booker is an outright star and the team clearly under-achieved. That said, having U of A's Deandre Ayton ending up in Phoenix would be pretty cool.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 04-13-18, 11:11 PM   #10
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
"Rewarded" seems like the wrong word to use to describe tanking -- especially on a team not nearly as devoid of talent as many of the other bottom-dwellers. Devin Booker is an outright star and the team clearly under-achieved. That said, having U of A's Deandre Ayton ending up in Phoenix would be pretty cool.
Suns have never had 1st pick in a draft. Rewarded is exactly the right word.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 04-17-18, 01:08 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

76ers are third in merchandise sales, above the Lakers and Celtics:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/7...eltics-knicks/

They are also 3rd in attendance.

I guess tanking, I mean the process, works. When are they going to make a public apology to Sam Hinkie and erect a statue of him in the arena?
Old 04-17-18, 01:18 PM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

As I said in the Playoff thread, those Sixers alt jerseys are fantastic.

I hate almost all things Sixers (except Embiid, who I've been a fan of since KU), but I'd be tempted to pick up one of those jerseys.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 04-17-18, 01:21 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
As I said in the Playoff thread, those Sixers alt jerseys are fantastic.

I hate almost all things Sixers (except Embiid, who I've been a fan of since KU), but I'd be tempted to pick up one of those jerseys.
Yeah, the article mentions that alt jersey, though I can't imagine picking up a jersey of a team I hated because of the design (as a Clips fan, i don't have any jerseys anyway except for an Elton Brand one, which explains why I never bought another one). Is it that cool? Guess I'll look it up.
Old 04-18-18, 07:40 PM   #14
DVD Talk God

Damn, Pop's wife died today.

Old 04-25-18, 11:47 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hero

Another ESPN story on the fucking Ball brothers. Hell if I'm clicking on that.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-02-18, 08:01 PM   #16
DVD Talk Godfather

Yahoo! Sports is saying that David Fizdale is emerging as a strong candidate for the Knicks coaching vacancy.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-02-18 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-02-18, 08:37 PM   #17

The Phoenix Suns have agreed to terms with Igor Kokoškov to become the team’s new head coach, making him the first head coach born and raised outside North America in NBA history. Kokoškov will begin his duties as Suns head coach following the conclusion of the Utah Jazz season.

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/05/0...ficial-release
Old 05-02-18, 09:20 PM   #18
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan64 View Post
The Phoenix Suns have agreed to terms with Igor Kokoškov to become the team’s new head coach, making him the first head coach born and raised outside North America in NBA history. Kokoškov will begin his duties as Suns head coach following the conclusion of the Utah Jazz season.

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/05/0...ficial-release
Dude is a really great coach,if he was Americano he would have had an NBA or NCAA offer years ago. That said makes me think they might be drafting Doncic since he coached him at Eurobasket 2017
Old 05-02-18, 10:15 PM   #19
DVD Talk God

If the Suns get #1 or #2 pick, there is zero chance they aren't drafting Ayton or Bagley.

Old 05-03-18, 09:53 AM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

You'll have a hard time finding a mock draft that doesn't have Doncic in one of the top 2 spots.

Old 05-03-18, 04:49 PM   #21
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
You'll have a hard time finding a mock draft that doesn't have Doncic in one of the top 2 spots.
Mocks don't mean shit. Also remember, I have inside information. Not to say that it couldn't change but from what I hear they want Ayton or Bagley.

Old 05-03-18, 05:50 PM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

not saying you're wrong, just saying that Doncic has been a consensus #1 or #2 for a long time, ie it would be a surprise if he didn't go in one of the top two slots. I have seen none of them play, but from what I have read, Bagley is a tweener in today's NBA who might have trouble.

Old 05-03-18, 06:12 PM   #23
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Yahoo! Sports is saying that David Fizdale is emerging as a strong candidate for the Knicks coaching vacancy.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...99937313755136
And done.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...cks-head-coach

Quote:
David Fizdale has agreed to a four-year deal to become the next coach of the New York Knicks, league sources told ESPN.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-03-18, 10:58 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to the thread, Raptors fans!
Old 05-05-18, 11:04 PM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Welcome to the thread, Raptors fans!
Ok, seriously though... welcome.

Anyway, this offseason we may see the breakup of Wall/Beal, Lilliard/McCollum, and Lowry/DeRozan.