Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Who are the current "faces" of their respective sports?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-05-18, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Y'know how people are often referred to as "the face of the NFL" like Peyton Manning, etc. Who holds those distinctions now?

NBA: LeBron (apologies to Steph Curry)
NFL: Brady
MLB: Trout maybe? Harper? There are a lot of great players like Altuve, Kershaw, Stanton, Goldschmidt, Bryant, Judge, but how many of them would a casual fan recognize? Would they even recognize Trout who's had little postseason exposure? I feel like Harper's beard makes him more recognizable.
NHL: No clue
NCAAM: Coach K
NCAAW: Auriemma
Old 04-05-18, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Who are the current "faces" of their respective sports?

Here's my take.

I don't follow sports. I would recognize a picture of LeBron or Curry. I would know who Brady is with a hint. I don't know anyone the other leagues.

Tiger is close to retirement, but he's the only golfer I recognize.
Old 04-05-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For baseball it's Trout on the West Coast and Bryce Harper on the East Coast.

Federer is obviously the face of tennis.
Old 04-06-18, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MMA-Conor McGregor (but not for long)
Old 04-06-18, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IF Carson Wentz has a season this year like last year he will be the face of the NFL. But he is a good christian so probably not. Some of his comments after he got hurt last year made some uneasy.

Brady's time is up. They way they keep dumping their better players and pick up a "star" like Jeremy Hill who should not be on any team they are done this year. Inner turmoil as well. They will have an off year.
Old 04-06-18, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For NHL I guess it could still be Crosby. Maybe Kane?
Old 04-06-18, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
IF Carson Wentz has a season this year like last year he will be the face of the NFL. But he is a good christian so probably not. Some of his comments after he got hurt last year made some uneasy.

Brady's time is up. They way they keep dumping their better players and pick up a "star" like Jeremy Hill who should not be on any team they are done this year. Inner turmoil as well. They will have an off year.
Off year or not, as long as Brady is still a good QB he will be the face until he retires. Unless people are suddenly not going to regard him as the GOAT. And if it isn't him, then it is Aaron Rodgers. Wentz might end up there (no idea what comments he made), but he's not next in line.
Old 04-06-18, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For NFL I would say Aaron Rogers. Brady has had much more success but he's disliked by many and does very little in the way of commercials. Brady comes across stilted and uncomfortable on camera. Aaron is much more natural and likable on commercials and in interviews. Just like how Peyton Manning's fame eclipsed Brady's when they were both active in the league.

And speaking of Aarons, I would say that after just over a year in the spotlight, Aaron Judge is becoming the face of Baseball. He has all the qualities of a superstar already.
Old 04-06-18, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NFL: Brady, Rodgers, & Watt. But in the near future possibly adding Jimmy G or Goff
NBA: Curry, Lebron, & Hardin. I would love for one of the young guys to move up, but it would take their team overtaking the big three.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 04-06-18 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-06-18, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely Lebron and Brady in their respective leagues. Anyone else is on a lower tier than them.

It's still Crosby in the NHL. In general, the NHL is terrible at marketing their stars though.

For baseball I'd go Harper despite how great Trout is. Harper has shown more personality and the marketing people love that. Stanton, now that he's in NY, should see a big push in this regard.

I would have given way to Rory McIlroy or Jordan Spieth in golf but seeing the general excitement of having Tiger at the Masters proves that Tiger is still the face.
Old 04-06-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
It's still Crosby in the NHL. In general, the NHL is terrible at marketing their stars though.
I agree, but I don't think it's worth it because the NHL game just doesn't appeal to the Casual fan on TV. If you think about it, if you market Sidney Crosby and a curious fan goes to check him out on TV, he plays a 45 second shift, only plays roughly 25 minutes a game and scores pretty much every other game. Now if you market Lebron, he is out there for 40 minutes, he pretty much touches the ball every possession. If you market Tom Brady, he touches the ball pretty much half of the game as the whole game revolves around him on offense. Even in Baseball, you can market a Bryce Harper who bats 4 to 5 times a game and you can sell them on a moonshot Homerun. I love the NHL, but it only appeals to diehards like me and will never sell to the casual fan. (Trust me I have tried it for years and my friends enjoy going to a Hockey game but have no interest in watching it on TV).
Old 04-06-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
John Shuster - Curling