Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do MLB players get away with not hustling to first base?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-28-17, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My one pet peeve with Baseball these days is it seems that more and more guys don't hustle to first base on a routine grounder. It's even worse when they swing at a 3rd strike and the catcher drops the ball, and some of them don't even bother running it out as the catcher just lobs it to first base for the final out.

Most Managers just look the other way at this (every once in a while they will call out a player in the media when it is too obvious and costs the team a run) but it seems to be the culture these days with many of these guys. Maybe it's always been that way and I am just older now and noticing it more and more. But these guys bat 4 times a night, the least they can do is hustle to first on a damn ground ball!
Old 06-28-17, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Why do MLB players get away with not hustling to first base?

Cost/benefit doesn't add up when looking at the risk of injury
Old 06-28-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Why do MLB players get away with not hustling to first base?

The greater injury risk isn't worth scratching out one or two extra singles a year. Even the league's very fastest guys probably only get 5-8 extra hits a year if they bust it everytime.

Now that batters have adopted very violent, powerful swings, it's not so easy to switch into an all-out sprint to first after exploding like that at the plate. It's how you end up with so many hamstring pulls running to first.

If you want to run hard to first for every ball in play, you almost have to swing like Ichiro.

Some sluggers still run hard. I remember Piazza would run as fast as he could every at-bat.