Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-15-17, 09:18 PM   #26
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Mayweather vs. McGregor - August 26th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Don't be one of those combat sports snobs or elitists (like Kellerman). Boxing is simply the act of fighting with your fists, and boxing is a big part of MMA. Let's not act like mixed martial artists don't hit bags, pads, and spar as part of their regular training.

Pro fighters CAN box, some really well like Conor, but boxers will always be ahead since they solely focus on fighting with their fists while the MMAers train in multiple disciplines of fighting.
Floyd has been in a boxing gym since he could walk. No, that isn't an exaggeration. His dad used to lift him up so he could hit the speed bags. Yes MMA guys hit pads and spar. And I would say Connor has good boxing for an MMA guy. But comparing that to Mayweather who is at the pinnacle of his sport. Is like me comparing myself to Usain Bolt. Hey I run and have been running since I was little. He cant be that much better than me, right?
Old 06-15-17, 09:48 PM   #27
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't compared Conor to Floyd in skill level AT ALL. I have only argued that it's foolish to say Conor or other MMA fighters can't box.
Old 06-15-17, 10:40 PM   #28
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I read at one book Floyd has gone from +1000 to as low as +600. The amount of money that has to be coming in on McGregor has to be insane and Vegas is going to make a killing.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 06-16-17, 08:08 AM   #29
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone that spends money on this deserves what they get. This kind of circus shit is embarrassing to both sports.
Old 06-16-17, 08:25 AM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

In what universe do you think that a master boxer like Mayweather would EVER leave his head open like that? You must never have watched a boxing match in your entire life to post something like this.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 06-16-17, 08:28 AM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Don't be one of those combat sports snobs or elitists (like Kellerman). Boxing is simply the act of fighting with your fists, and boxing is a big part of MMA. Let's not act like mixed martial artists don't hit bags, pads, and spar as part of their regular training.

Pro fighters CAN box, some really well like Conor, but boxers will always be ahead since they solely focus on fighting with their fists while the MMAers train in multiple disciplines of fighting.
Wrong again. Punching is a big part of MMA. Boxing is not.

Boxing is so much more than "fighting with your fists." Again, you have no idea what you are talking about. None.

Old 06-16-17, 08:29 AM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barth View Post
I'm interested in this, however without reading a ton of the previous posts I will say this...Mayweather will just run around the ring long enough to not take much contact, still look good, collect a paycheck, and win by a point or two. That's his story. Watching his bouts is like watching paint dry.
I feel the same way about Hopkins. Really boring but pretty impressive from a technical standpoint.

Old 06-16-17, 08:43 AM   #33
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Wrong again. Punching is a big part of MMA. Boxing is not.

Boxing is so much more than "fighting with your fists." Again, you have no idea what you are talking about. None.

Boxing IS punching and to say otherwise just makes you sound like an asshole. Get the fuck out of here with your elitist attitude and enjoy your dying sport. Now I remember why you've been on my ignore list.
Old 06-16-17, 09:31 AM   #34
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

Boxing IS punching and to say otherwise just makes you sound like an asshole. Get the fuck out of here with your elitist attitude and enjoy your dying sport. Now I remember why you've been on my ignore list.
My final two cents on this one is this:

I don't think anyone is trying to be "elitist" (and yeah, Kellerman is a douche). But even professionals will tell you that the two sports are fundamentally different. You're argument is literally the same thing as a stating that a baseball player can play tennis because he uses the same range of motion with his arms to hit. What happens in MMA is not boxing. Even people like Greg Jackson, Mark Henry & Firas Zahabi will tell you that they don't teach boxing in their gyms to MMA fighters. They teach striking because it is fundamentally different. In boxing, punches actually start in the feet, only two points of defense, etc.

Teddy Atlas (who we can all agree is not a douche) says it best: “It doesn’t figure to be competitive. You’ve got a guy that they’re gonna say he’s got a puncher’s chance, but he’s in there with a defensive genius. And they’re taking advantage of your imaginations. ‘Oh, he’s got a puncher’s chance.’ Guys like Maidana, Pacquiao, Canelo — they were better punchers than McGregor and better fighters. They couldn’t hit him. They couldn’t hurt him.
So, really a puncher’s chance? Those are words, those are words to sell the fight. But in reality, not really a puncher’s chance.”

And yes, boxing is a dying sport and has been for the better part of 20 years.
Old 06-16-17, 10:53 AM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

You calling anyone an asshole is like Trump telling someone they post on Twitter so much.

Nearly every one of your posts is more choked full of nonsense than a Baby Ruth bar is of peanuts.

I'm not even a huge boxing fan. Nothing I said could even be assumed to infer that. You are just flat out wrong about McGregor.

Trust me, you are on my ignore list too, I can only see your posts when they are quoted by others. But they were so unbelievably ridiculous that I had to respond to them.

Old 06-16-17, 10:57 AM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post

You are right, and I think you could make the argument that the rise of MMA has directly contributed to that. Most boxing matches these days are boxers trying not to lose, and not to win by KO.

There are also very few marquee and marketable boxers has there had been in the past.

And yes, fights are boring too.

But then again, MMA may be headed for a similar thing when you have matches that can last 30 seconds and take 3 hours of undercard to even get to. Plus, I think the public (as evidenced by what's going on with Football) is getting a little sensitive to people allowing themselves to be mauled for personal entertainment.

Old 06-16-17, 11:13 AM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Teddy Atlas (who we can all agree is not a douche) says it best: “It doesn’t figure to be competitive. You’ve got a guy that they’re gonna say he’s got a puncher’s chance, but he’s in there with a defensive genius. And they’re taking advantage of your imaginations. ‘Oh, he’s got a puncher’s chance.’ Guys like Maidana, Pacquiao, Canelo — they were better punchers than McGregor and better fighters. They couldn’t hit him. They couldn’t hurt him.
So, really a puncher’s chance? Those are words, those are words to sell the fight. But in reality, not really a puncher’s chance.”
This. And this isn't sport, it's a circus. Anyone getting sucked into this is, well... a sucker.
Old 06-16-17, 11:48 AM   #38
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

20 years almost to the day: June 28, 1997 was the day that Boxing died for myself of most of my friends. The night Tyson bit off Holyfield's ear was when it finally became WWF, as this was building for a decade of corruption by guys like Don King, etc. That was the last PPV fight I ever bought.

In saying all of that, I think this fight only helps legitimize Boxing because it will make MMA look like some mickey mouse sport. People take for granted how great the 'great' athletes are. People forget that AAA Baseball is LIGHT years different then Major League Baseball. People forget College Sports is light years away from Pro Sports in general, and that is why only so few excel. I actually think an average Boxer would school McGregor. If anyone thinks that McGregor is going to go toe to toe with one of the greatest boxers of all-time on his turf (meaning it's Boxing only), they have to be crazy to think he even has a chance.
Old 06-16-17, 12:01 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
20 years almost to the day: June 28, 1997 was the day that Boxing died for myself of most of my friends. The night Tyson bit off Holyfield's ear was when it finally became WWF, as this was building for a decade of corruption by guys like Don King, etc. That was the last PPV fight I ever bought.

In saying all of that, I think this fight only helps legitimize Boxing because it will make MMA look like some mickey mouse sport. People take for granted how great the 'great' athletes are. People forget that AAA Baseball is LIGHT years different then Major League Baseball. People forget College Sports is light years away from Pro Sports in general, and that is why only so few excel. I actually think an average Boxer would school McGregor. If anyone thinks that McGregor is going to go toe to toe with one of the greatest boxers of all-time on his turf (meaning it's Boxing only), they have to be crazy to think he even has a chance.
Very well said. Its like the people who claim the NCAA basketball champs could beat the 6ers or Nets or that Alabama could beat the 9ers or Browns (hell they couldnt beat Clemson).

Old 06-16-17, 01:12 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think that's really the same thing at all. Obviously McGregor is going to lose this match badly, but if it was taking place in the octagon, do people think the reverse wouldn't be true? It is 2 completely different sports.
Old 06-16-17, 01:37 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Guaranteed to be the best event since Thunderlips vs Balboa
Old 06-16-17, 01:43 PM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
If only.
Old 06-16-17, 02:26 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I don't think that's really the same thing at all. Obviously McGregor is going to lose this match badly, but if it was taking place in the octagon, do people think the reverse wouldn't be true? It is 2 completely different sports.
I agree with your point, but not so much your analogy. There is no kicking or wresting/judo in boxing...at all. Mayweather would be a far larger underdog in the Octagon than McGregor will be in the ring.

A difference that might figure in to how it plays out is the way a hurt opponent is handled between the two sports. No standing eight counts in MMA. No following your opponent to the ground to finish him in boxing.

Also I think the difference in gloves has a much bigger impact than I've heard discussed.
Old 06-16-17, 02:29 PM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Once Mayweather wins, there will be a clamor for them to fight a second time under UFC rules.

That is another big payday for Mayweather. If he's willing to risk his undefeated aura, it's very likely to happen.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 06-16-17, 02:34 PM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

No way Mayweather ever enters the cage. It's one think for McGregor to land a lucky shot in the ring, but he would quite literally mop the floor with Mayweather in the cage. He would never let that happen to his brand. I also don't think it would be worth remotely the payday this will be unless people just want to see him humiliated that badly...which maybe they might.
Old 06-16-17, 03:19 PM   #46
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
The Ultimate Male vs the Ultimate Meatball!
Old 06-16-17, 04:19 PM   #47
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
Is like me comparing myself to Usain Bolt. Hey I run and have been running since I was little. He cant be that much better than me, right?
Mayweather and McGregor are both professionals. You and Bolt aren't both professionals.
Old 06-17-17, 06:22 PM   #48
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
In what universe do you think that a master boxer like Mayweather would EVER leave his head open like that? You must never have watched a boxing match in your entire life to post something like this.
Also Conor fights with 6 ounce gloves. with 10 ounce gloves, and if Conor can land ( ) i think Floyd handles it
Old 06-18-17, 06:59 AM   #49
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bill Burr had the best analogy, "This is like a dump truck racing a Ferrari. Yes, they're both vehicles, but one has no chance against the other in a straight up race."
Old 06-18-17, 02:02 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Once Mayweather wins, there will be a clamor for them to fight a second time under UFC rules.

That is another big payday for Mayweather. If he's willing to risk his undefeated aura, it's very likely to happen.
Floyd's not the one calling out MMA fighters, don't think he's ever said he could beat anyone in the octagon. so it doesn't make sense why he would ever even think of fighting in the UFC.

MMA fighters really have a hard on for boxers though, i remember Silva called out Roy Jones and Miocic called out Anthony Joshua, there's been others as well.