Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-18-17, 10:33 PM   #176
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I think George needs to make all NBA this year to get the super max, I don't think next year counts or all this hubbub is for nothing
I'm wrong, if he makes all NBA next year he's eligible, it's just a gigantic risk to Indiana since they won't find out until well after any opportunity to trade him (like Hayward on the Jazz this year).
Old 05-18-17, 11:54 PM   #177
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...k-pretty-crazy

I really can't stand Draymond Green. He's now complaining to the press that it's crazy that Klay Thompson didn't make the All-NBA team and when they ask him who would he take off he doesn't answer. He replies with the voters must not care about winning because the Warriors had 67 wins and 4 of them deserved to be on the team.

What the fuck is this idiot talking about? Here are the guards who made the All-NBA team:
James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry, Isaiah Thomas, John Wall, and DeMar DeRozan. Besides the fact that everyone of those players had far better seasons than Klay they also all were on winning teams that made the playoffs which contradicts his winning argument. Not to mention Harden, Westbrook, Thomas, Wall and DeRozan were the #1 playmakers and scorers on their teams where as Klay is the third option and is almost solely reliant on catch and shoot plays created by having two of the top 5 players in the NBA on his team taking up most of the opposing teams defensive strategy.

Don't get me wrong Klay is a very good player and he's had some incredible games but there is no defense for saying he had a better season than any of the guards picked ahead of him on the All-NBA list.
Old 05-19-17, 12:08 AM   #178
DVD Talk Legend

I know I'm a homer but I take Paul over Klay as well. Heck as good as he is, I'm not even sure he deserved it last year when he and Lowry somehow edged out Harden.
Old 05-19-17, 12:20 AM   #179
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
I know I'm a homer but I take Paul over Klay as well. Heck as good as he is, I'm not even sure he deserved it last year when he and Lowry somehow edged out Harden.
I hate Chris Paul and I would take him also. He would have made the All-NBA team if he didn't miss 20+ games this season.

Other guards I would pick over Klay:
Bradley Beal
Michael Conley
Damien Lillard
CJ McCollum
Old 05-19-17, 03:44 AM   #180
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I'd rather have Fultz and Hayward then Butler or George.

I also think the Cs could swing a trade that didn't involve Fultz. They have the Nets pick next year, plus a list of very useful NBA players.
Agreed. You know the Nets are going to be AWFUL next year, so you have a lot of choices. The best package would be swinging this year's #1 pick and a couple of role players and get Drummond. You sign Hayward and your starting lineup is IT, Bradley, Hayward, Horford, and Drummond which is a great threat. You saw that they cannot board against the Cavs and their weakness, outside of another scorer, is needing a big man. You need a man like Drummond. This will allow them to finally match up with the Cavs.

Or, you keep the pick and keep next year's pick while also making sure IT gets his (dude needs to stay with the Celtics as he is the heart of the team and the fans love him). People harp about his age, but IT is the same age as Westbrook. Westbrook is better, but to always bring up IT's age and let that be a HUGE factor and no one ever bring's up Westbrook age (and Westbrook has a lot more miles on him than IT does) is insane. You can say both are just hitting their peak. IT is worth the money, build young, and hope that age will finally catch up with Lebron in 3 years so the Celtics can be back on the top.

But you don't flip the pick for Butler or PG unless you can't get Hayward in free agency. Hayward and the pick > Butler or PG.
Old 05-19-17, 05:06 PM   #181
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...k-pretty-crazy

I really can't stand Draymond Green. He's now complaining to the press that it's crazy that Klay Thompson didn't make the All-NBA team and when they ask him who would he take off he doesn't answer. He replies with the voters must not care about winning because the Warriors had 67 wins and 4 of them deserved to be on the team.

What the fuck is this idiot talking about? Here are the guards who made the All-NBA team:
James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry, Isaiah Thomas, John Wall, and DeMar DeRozan. Besides the fact that everyone of those players had far better seasons than Klay they also all were on winning teams that made the playoffs which contradicts his winning argument. Not to mention Harden, Westbrook, Thomas, Wall and DeRozan were the #1 playmakers and scorers on their teams where as Klay is the third option and is almost solely reliant on catch and shoot plays created by having two of the top 5 players in the NBA on his team taking up most of the opposing teams defensive strategy.

Don't get me wrong Klay is a very good player and he's had some incredible games but there is no defense for saying he had a better season than any of the guards picked ahead of him on the All-NBA list.
Quote:
I hate Chris Paul and I would take him also. He would have made the All-NBA team if he didn't miss 20+ games this season.

Other guards I would pick over Klay:
Bradley Beal
Michael Conley
Damien Lillard
CJ McCollum
I agree that Klay may not have deserved All-NBA, but I'd certainly take him over Derozan. And Beal, Lillard, and McCollum. Probably not Conley or Paul.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 05-19-17, 05:09 PM   #182
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Agreed. You know the Nets are going to be AWFUL next year, so you have a lot of choices. The best package would be swinging this year's #1 pick and a couple of role players and get Drummond. You sign Hayward and your starting lineup is IT, Bradley, Hayward, Horford, and Drummond which is a great threat. You saw that they cannot board against the Cavs and their weakness, outside of another scorer, is needing a big man. You need a man like Drummond. This will allow them to finally match up with the Cavs.

Or, you keep the pick and keep next year's pick while also making sure IT gets his (dude needs to stay with the Celtics as he is the heart of the team and the fans love him). People harp about his age, but IT is the same age as Westbrook. Westbrook is better, but to always bring up IT's age and let that be a HUGE factor and no one ever bring's up Westbrook age (and Westbrook has a lot more miles on him than IT does) is insane. You can say both are just hitting their peak. IT is worth the money, build young, and hope that age will finally catch up with Lebron in 3 years so the Celtics can be back on the top.

But you don't flip the pick for Butler or PG unless you can't get Hayward in free agency. Hayward and the pick > Butler or PG.
This post is kind of ridiculous. In 2017 nobody's dumb enough to trade for Drummond. They may or may not bring Isiah back. They'd have to pay him like $40 million a year. And how on earth could you possibly believe Hayward is better Butler or Paul George. I get that Paul George won't resign there but, Hayward is not helping you beat LeBron.
Old 05-19-17, 08:12 PM   #183
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
I agree that Klay may not have deserved All-NBA, but I'd certainly take him over Derozan. And Beal, Lillard, and McCollum. Probably not Conley or Paul.
It's not a question of who you would want on your team it's who had a better season. There is no metric where Klay had a better season then DeRozan.
Old 05-20-17, 01:33 AM   #184
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson29 View Post
This post is kind of ridiculous. In 2017 nobody's dumb enough to trade for Drummond. They may or may not bring Isiah back. They'd have to pay him like $40 million a year. And how on earth could you possibly believe Hayward is better Butler or Paul George. I get that Paul George won't resign there but, Hayward is not helping you beat LeBron.
A, Drummond had a so-so year last year, true, but he was still the 2nd leader in boards. Boston is HORRIBLE on the boards and the top guy is Horford who doesn't even average 7. Boston is 13th out of 16th this postseason in boards and tired for 26/27 this season in boards. They are better than the Kings, Bucks, and Dallas and had Cousins stayed the whole year, the Kings would be better. He also plays the entire year. Horrible free throw shooting aside, he will give the Celtics what they need. A young rebounder who does not miss time. Clearly you do not watch Celtics basketball as you will see a HUGE need for someone to rebound and do something in the post.

B, every damn NBA player is getting paid. If the guy produces, which he is, you give him the money. Again, IT is the SAME age as Westbrook. Is he as good? No. But give the guy money for bringing your team back on the winning side (Cavs series aside). This is why I applaud a team like the Cavs. Everyone laughed at how much they gave Triston but it was SMART. If you let him walk, you get NOTHING in return and cannot sign anyone anyways. Cap was going up. Give the man what he needs to stay and continue to contend. And if IT is getting $40M/year (no idea where that number comes from as Mike Conley just signed the richest deal and he isn't even getting $40M/year and doubt the cap will go THAT high in contracts) you know just about every other guard will be getting that as well.

C, PG just proved this year he is NOT a leader. Dude threw his teammates under the bus and then when he got the ball at the end like he demanded, he missed (he is not clutch and the Celtics already got a clutch player). Sorry, while PG is a good player, he isn't worth the hype he gets. And I like Butler, but you have to trade away so many pieces to get him. This is why Hayward, who you do not have to trade anything for, is perfect. Will he be the piece to get you over the hump of Lebron James? Hell no. Again, hands down, Lebron James is the BEST basketball player today. NO ONE can stop him. But Hayward would be a great addition when you don't lose anything major and can still trade that pick(s) for a center. And Hayward proved this year he's a damn good player. He still got some good numbers against the Warriors outside Game 1. Not to mention, this season, Hayward's PER was better than PG. Plus, if you go back to my original post, I did not say Hayward is better than Butler or PG (though, I'd say Hayward may have the edge on PG). I said Hayward AND the pick (which is a #1 pick) is better than Butler or PG. Not to mention, adding PG clearly isn't going to help you beat James either as was shown in the playoffs time and time again (PG is what, 0-3 against James, right?). Yeah....
Old 05-20-17, 02:47 AM   #185
DVD Talk Legend

Problem with Drummond is he can't score except near the basket, he can't shoot free throws, and he can't stretch the floor, so in some sense he's like a poor man's DeAndre Jordan but without Chris Paul throwing lobs to him. I haven't seen him enough to know how much of a liability he is when the Cavs or GS go small ball. I mean he's still a young player and worth the money, but you better have all kinds of scoring around him. Hayward would definitely help, but I don't know how you can pay IT, Hayward, Drummond and Horford at the same time.

Paying Tristan was smart for the Cavs because it made Lebron happy, but also because they have three all star players, a bunch of three point shooters and he can just do the dirty work... I don't see him being worth that kind of money on other teams.

Agree with Paul George just losing his mind calling out teammates, then having what was perhaps the most unfortunately timed commercial of all time, and also basically selling out his team saying he's going to the Lakers no matter what. But the Lakers and most other teams will still take him.

But if you're not banking on beating James then why pay all that extra money just to be in the same place you are now?
Old 05-20-17, 08:33 AM   #186
DVD Talk Special Edition

Drummond is slowly becoming irrelevant in the modern NBA so there is zero chance the Celtics want him. Stevens has no use for a strictly in the paint player who can't space the floor, guard the pick and roll and then also shoots like 30% from the line. Also for a guy who can only play in the paint he has no post up game.
Old 05-20-17, 08:46 AM   #187
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hayward is the perfect choice for them out of Hayward, George, and Butler because they won't have to trade for him. I'd put Butler and George slightly over him as better players but not by much. That gives them a lineup of IT, Fultz, Hayward, and Horford. If they go with Fultz (which is almost definitely going to happen) they have to trade off either Smart or Bradley. And if they sign Hayward they will trade Crowder so they need to get someone in return that can fit their PF/C needs to go along with Horford. Olynyk is way too inconsistent and I doubt they will be able to afford to keep him since some team is going to overpay him. Kenneth Faried, Richaun Holmes, and Terrence Jones would all be choices that they could get that would fit in.

Last edited by The Questyen; 05-20-17 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-20-17, 10:51 AM   #188
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, not seeing the love for Drummond here either.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-20-17, 11:25 AM   #189
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dwight Howard claims Lakers told him not to train with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar continued to blast Dwight Howard's tenure with the Lakers in a recent interview with LakersNation. In the chat, Abdul-Jabbar discussed wanting to train Howard and Andrew Bynum, two big men who did not play well during their time in Los Angeles.

"Well, Dwight Howard didnít want to do any work," Abdul-Jabbar said. "Andrew Bynum did not want to do a lot of work, but Andrew was kind of getting the hang of it. I donít think Andrew was that interested in playing basketball. ...

"Dwight Howard, Iím not going to say anything about him because I really donít understand what his thing was."

The author, Ryan Ward, posted the quotes to his personal Instagram page to promote the story.

There, Howard actually responded in the comments section on his verified account to deny the allegations. He was upset he didn't get to tell his side of the story.

Dude, don't lie to these people about me not wanting to work with him. Before you make a story, get all your facts straight before lying to people. Why wouldn't I wanna work with dude. He's one of the best all time. Dude know the truth.

The team didn't even want him in the practice facility." Ward responded by saying the comments were from Abdul-Jabbar and not him. Howard reacted back.

"I know it's his words. But you could have checked both sources before reporting it. I understand your [sic] doing your job. Dude don't have to lie tho. As soon as I was traded to Lakers [the] first person I sat with was dude.

Wanting to work out. Go look back at my post. I posted a pic with him and myself at a hotel. But if a team says stay away I did what [I] was asked."
Essentially what Howard is saying is that the Lakers told him he couldn't work with Abdul-Jabbar, which would explain why the two didn't train together.

Howard was clearly interested in working with the basketball legend as he sent a tweet in 2012 claiming he'd be with him "for many years to come."

The curious thing is why the Lakers wouldn't want the two to work together. One would think this would only benefit Howard, but the powers that be must have felt differently. In the end, Howard exited Los Angeles after one disappointing season.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news...81xs0heynioknr

I don't think Howard can get along with anyone at this point. I agree with the article, why wouldn't the Lakers' want them to work together? It doesn't make sense to me.
Old 05-20-17, 11:29 AM   #190
DVD Talk Legend

Can Howard learn to not use the word "dude" so much?
Old 05-20-17, 02:41 PM   #191
DVD Talk Hero

I still remember the Time Warner cable promo that aired when Dwight was acquired by the Lakers. Mitch Kupchak said in the promo...."I want to see your jersey up there in 10 years"
Old 05-20-17, 03:40 PM   #192
DVD Talk Legend

Kareem and the Lakers had some kind of falling out, culminating with him complaining that they didn't put a statue of him up. This was like a year before Dwight came over. You can see some of his thoughts about how the Lakers treated him here:

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakers...d-this-po.html

I would think that's why, the last thing they needed was for a guy disgruntled with the organization working out with the guy they (at the time) desperately wanted to stick around as a free agent.

I kinda side with Dwight on this, the reporter should have reached out to him as part of fact checking, it's obvious he would have commented, he basically reached out to chat with him on Instagram. But then I also feel like Dwight got a raw deal in LA (though now his career path has plummeted and that's all up to him). Also why in the world is Kareem throwing people under the bus like this? I thought he was promoting a book about JOhn Wooden.

How could you forget that Time Warner promo, they played it constantly, often multiple times in a row.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-20-17 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-20-17, 06:19 PM   #193
DVD Talk Godfather

I hate how everything is considered a snub now, in this case Lebron not being in the top 3 for MVP voting this year.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-20-17, 11:56 PM   #194
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Problem with Drummond is he can't score except near the basket, he can't shoot free throws, and he can't stretch the floor, so in some sense he's like a poor man's DeAndre Jordan but without Chris Paul throwing lobs to him. I haven't seen him enough to know how much of a liability he is when the Cavs or GS go small ball. I mean he's still a young player and worth the money, but you better have all kinds of scoring around him. Hayward would definitely help, but I don't know how you can pay IT, Hayward, Drummond and Horford at the same time.

Paying Tristan was smart for the Cavs because it made Lebron happy, but also because they have three all star players, a bunch of three point shooters and he can just do the dirty work... I don't see him being worth that kind of money on other teams.

Agree with Paul George just losing his mind calling out teammates, then having what was perhaps the most unfortunately timed commercial of all time, and also basically selling out his team saying he's going to the Lakers no matter what. But the Lakers and most other teams will still take him.

But if you're not banking on beating James then why pay all that extra money just to be in the same place you are now?
Quote:
Hayward is the perfect choice for them out of Hayward, George, and Butler because they won't have to trade for him. I'd put Butler and George slightly over him as better players but not by much. That gives them a lineup of IT, Fultz, Hayward, and Horford. If they go with Fultz (which is almost definitely going to happen) they have to trade off either Smart or Bradley. And if they sign Hayward they will trade Crowder so they need to get someone in return that can fit their PF/C needs to go along with Horford. Olynyk is way too inconsistent and I doubt they will be able to afford to keep him since some team is going to overpay him. Kenneth Faried, Richaun Holmes, and Terrence Jones would all be choices that they could get that would fit in.
I do think, with the lineup of IT, Bradley, Hayward, Horford, and Drummond is the best chance at taking out Lebron. You add two All-Stars to the team (Drummond was an all-star and I still believe one so-so year isn't going to break him). You sign Hayward first (trade Smart as he is inconsistent and useless) then trade the guy you drafted and other randoms for Drummond. You got Hayward to help with scoring and they desperately need help boarding which will be Drummond's job.

They weren't able to get Howard last year, didn't get a trade for Cousins, they need someone to board. There two biggest issues is having another scorer (which will be solved if they get Hayward) and rebounding. They got to figure out the rebounding problem if they want to contend with the Cavs.
Old 05-21-17, 03:34 PM   #195
DVD Talk Legend

Hard to take someone seriously when they call Marcus Smart "useless".

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 05-21-17, 04:34 PM   #196
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Hard to take someone seriously when they call Marcus Smart "useless".
He's definitely not useless but he's certainly going to be expendable for the Celtics next year especially if they keep their pick because they just have too many guards. Either Smart or Bradley will be gone and Bradley is a far better player.
Old 05-21-17, 09:56 PM   #197
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sorry, but Smart disappears way too much for me. He's just too inconsistent, thus useless. I'm starting to feel that way about LA on the Spurs as well. And I'd also call Blake useless because he is nowhere when the time comes for him to be there (why I'm not angry at seeing no talks between him and the Celtics). As Questyen said, Bradley is a far better player. Bradley has improved. A guy that shoots 36% during the season and 34% during the postseason is pretty much useless to me. People diss guys like Rondo and Rubio all the time because of their FG% but Smart is even worse.
Old 05-21-17, 11:16 PM   #198
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be willing to give up either Smart or Bradley in a good trade, but I'd give up Bradley before Smart. Bradley may be the better player right now, but Smart is 3 years younger (only 23), much cheaper, taller, seems less injury prone too. Smart may not fill up the stat sheet, but he helps them win, a lot. Regardless, Smart is not useless.

Old 05-21-17, 11:33 PM   #199
DVD Talk Hero

I agree that Bradley is the better player now, but I'd give him up first because Smart is a lot cheaper. Plus, he may not produce steady numbers, but he has a knack for coming up with the big play.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-22-17, 12:00 AM   #200
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I'd give the devil his due as Smart came up huge tonight. The whole team did with 6 players scoring in double figures and both James and Love (after a hot start) disappeared. You know the reports are going to be out there now questioning IT's future (got to get that click or viewer) but it will be curious to see how this team does in the rest of the series.