Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who will win the NBA Finals?
Cavaliers
30.00%
Warriors
40.00%
Spurs
5.00%
Clippers
0%
Celtics
5.00%
Raptors
5.00%
Thunder
0%
Pacers
5.00%
Blazers
0%
Jazz
0%
Grizzlies
0%
Timberwolves
0%
Hawks
0%
Rockets
0%
Other
10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Old 01-20-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

If you're an undersized point guard in the NBA, you almost have to be the focal point of the offense when you're on the floor and have a team with good defensive fundamentals or the you're going to be a defensive liability out there. (Or be on a team that doesn't care much about defense).

Harden would've been a big snub too but I always thought Westbrook was more popular than him. But he was third in fan ranking, and first in media and player ranking. (Zaza was second in fan ranking for forwards again, which is again ridiculous). Actually Westbrook, Harden and Curry tied but the tiebreaker was fan ranking.
Old 01-20-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw a really good thread on Reddit about Zaza and the fan voting.

Originally Posted by NK-AK on Reddit View Post
After the first results of All Star voting was released I have read many comments about Zaza,(here on r/Nba, on various fb pages, twitter and so on) or to say better, about how he got so many votes and good amount of them were/are very wrong: From 'Warriors fans are voting for him' to 'Georgian hackers hacked our elections!'(well I get, it's funny).Considering that it hasn't improved after yesterday either, I think it would be interesting for NBA fans to get more information about Zaza and why he is so loved in republic of Georgia.
First of all, no, it's not Warriors nation voting everyone in their team to all star, no one hacked all star voting and most certainly, no one is trying to meme him to NOLA for fun. It's all on us, Georgians voting daily for him, using FB, Gmail, Twitter, Nba.com and everything possible to vote for him. It even went so far that people were told: 'this is how to vote for Zaza using google, if you don't have gmail, go get one'.
Yes, we are proud of Him and I think for a right reason.
When USSR collapsed, Zaza was just a kid, situation in Georgia quickly become comparable to the wild west: first there was a civil war, followed by war against Russian supported separatists and everything collapsed, there was no rule of law, rival brotherhoods were killing each other for property left after collapse of USSR, good percentage of kids of Zaza's age wanted to become member of Brotherhoods instead of achieving anything in life, living in the country was extremely hard, endless lines for bread, at best several hours of electricity in day and so on.
Life was next to impossible for Athletes too, I mean established stars, for example Olympic champion Kakhiashvili opted for Greek citizenship and left country because no one could provide even basic things required for training, there wasn't even heating and hot water in gyms.
Now, you can imagine the hardship Zaza Pachulia had to endure to make it first to Turkish League and then into NBA and I am not even talking about basketball traditions and schools, they are to this day almost nonexistent in our country. Everything he has ever achieved he achieved because of his insane working culture and sacrifice. I once heard that early in his career in Orlando he continued playing with broken tooth, swallowing his own blood so coach didn't bench him, I don't know is this story true or not but needless to say that while Zaza Pachulia has never been extremely talented, he has always been extremely 'talented' fighter, he wasn't intimidated by anyone or anything, he accepted every challenge both on and off court.
Now Zaza is a veteran NBA player, it's Insane what he achieved with limited talent and athleticism (well, I think we can agree he isn't as athletic as Deandre or Shaq). Zaza Pachulia, Who started playing ball in a destroyed country, in a frozen, broken court, got into NBA and has been playing for 14th season there.
And although Republic of Georgia didn't help him in Anything, he achieved everything he has only because of his hard work and fighting spirit, he never ever said 'NO' when he was asked to play for Georgian National team, doesn't matter how meaningless the game was or how bad our team was. I could remember at least one game against Poland when Zaza Played Injured, risking everything he had for a country what did NOTHING for him, just because said country needed his Help.
Although many Georgians may disagree,I think Zaza Is the only reason why Basketball is so Popular in Georgia, without him, Georgian National Basketball team would be nowhere near it's now. While we are far away from top European teams, all we can be proud of is reaching 1/8 finals and playing every Eurobasket in last few years,which of course isn't much, but again we are country of 4.5 million people with little to no basketball schools and not a long ago we were trying hard to reach A division, trying hard and failing.
I think if Basketball has any future in Georgia, Zaza will have lions share in future success and popularity of it.
He did so much for us, to Our country while our Country did nothing for him, I will go us far us saying that my country doesn't deserve People like Zaza Pachualia and yet, here he is.
We can't do much to say "Thank YOU" to Zaza for all these things he did for our country,which our country didn't deserve. Last season, I don't remember how it started but Zaza had solid stat line ( well, he wasn't posting 20/10 stats per game, but for role player, it was very solid) and people started campaign to get him into All Star. Many people did it mistakenly, voting several times in 24 hours, misspelling 'NBA' and so on and Zaza fell 14K votes short. This season people are better prepared and here we are now, Zaza has more than 800K votes. I will go as far as saying that he is only thing that unites us all, All of us support different politicians, we are either liberal or conservative, right wing or left wing, disagree who is the best soccer player in the world, disagree on almost everything but in the end of the day we all vote for Zaza.
I watch NBA for several years (Grizzlies vs Spurs game 1 was the first game I watched from start to end) and I vote for Zaza every time and I don't feel guilt. Of course I know that Zaza isn't top center , believe me,even people who have never ever watched NBA know that there are many big men better than him in NBA, but if All star game is for fans, there are millions of 'fans' who would want to see Zaza in all Star game more than they want to see AD or KAT.
I know that we can't get him to all star because of rule changes, but for me (and I think most of Georgians and for Zaza himself) it's not the most important thing in this story, after all this is the only way we can say "thank you" to Zaza.
Old 01-23-17, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dion Waiters just killed the Warriors with a buzzer beater
Old 01-24-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Dion Waiters just killed the Warriors with a buzzer beater
I always hated that smug SOB even when he was in OKC.
Old 01-24-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I always hated that smug SOB even when he was in OKC.
Lebron waiving him off when he's asking for the ball is a classic. Then GM Lebron sent him packing.
Old 01-25-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Clippers lost to the 76ers. Without Embiid. Sure Paul was out and Griffin just came back, but this team even fully healthy (which is rare) scares nobody.

Still the ridiculous analysts saying they should let Griffin and/or Paul walk because they can easily replace them with free agents... what are they smoking? I feel like they have to ride them into the sunset as long as they want to re sign, because what's the alternative, trying to convince free agents to come to LA to play with Deandre and constantly get overshadowed by a terrible Lakers team?
Old 01-26-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...171840928.html

Phil has apparently given up on Carmelo and wants to trade him according to Woj.

He wants to build the Knicks around Porzingis.
Old 01-26-17, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Smart move. But the key is finding a taker for Mello.
Old 01-26-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've defended Melo on the Knicks in the past, but the inability to put better surrounding pieces with him after all these years makes me think they should just move on. Problem is his value is probably at an all time low.
Old 01-26-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Problem is his value is probably at an all time low.
Nope. Problem is he has a full no-trade clause. They can't move him unless he wants to move there and is happy with the talent in his new team after the trade.

Phil giving him that No-Trade was idiotic. Obviously, nobody else could offer him that, so it's not like he had to do it. Plus nobody could offer him as much as the Knicks and Melo's wife didn't want to leave NY - so really there was no need to sweeten the sweetest deal he could get. The Knicks had to petition the league for an exception to get him the No Trade (as he was traded mid season and didn't fully meet the requirements). Now he has the No Trade clause and there's nothing the Knicks can do except hope Melo likes some other offer or make it so miserable for him in NY that he begs to be moved.

I was really upset when Phil and Jeanie broke up, but I'm kind of glad now because as much as a dumpster fire as the Lakers are at present, I don't want Phil running that team either.
Old 01-26-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Nope. Problem is he has a full no-trade clause. They can't move him unless he wants to move there and is happy with the talent in his new team after the trade.
Good point, although I disagree with your nope since I still think whatever value the Knicks could get is a factor as well.

Clippers and Knicks should just do a Melo/Griffin swap
Old 01-26-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the no-trade is certainly the biggest problem, that and a huge contract make it hard (and diminishing value too).

I feel bad for Melo, honestly. I think Phil pretty much sucks at this, it's not Melo's fault that the Knicks suck. His terrible move was forcing the trade, but that was years ago. I hope the Knicks find a taker. Honestly, as a Celtic fan, if they can get him for not a huge price, I'd take him. With the right coach/team, he can be very very good.
Old 01-26-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Good point, although I disagree with your nope since I still think whatever value the Knicks could get is a factor as well.

Clippers and Knicks should just do a Melo/Griffin swap
I think you miss the point. His actual value is irrelevant at this point.
Let's say that his value were higher and it was actually a fair trade Melo-for-Blake (though it clearly isn't) -- If Doc and Phil agreed to that swap, they would bring it to Melo and he would probably decide that he didn't want to play for the Clippers if they didn't have Blake on the team with him.
In a way, it's better for them if he has a lower trade value. Of course the Cavs didn't want to trade away Love to get Melo, but who knows, maybe they would trade Shumpert and J.R. Smith and then Melo would agree to a deal like that.
Old 01-26-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think you miss the point. His actual value is irrelevant at this point.
Let's say that his value were higher and it was actually a fair trade Melo-for-Blake (though it clearly isn't) -- If Doc and Phil agreed to that swap, they would bring it to Melo and he would probably decide that he didn't want to play for the Clippers if they didn't have Blake on the team with him.
In a way, it's better for them if he has a lower trade value. Of course the Cavs didn't want to trade away Love to get Melo, but who knows, maybe they would trade Shumpert and J.R. Smith and then Melo would agree to a deal like that.
I disagree that it's irrelevant, because as much as Phil wants to get rid of Melo I also don't think they would dump him for scraps. It's still a two way street in that the Knicks probably aren't even starting conversations without knowing they would get something of value to them even before it goes to Melo for approval. Hence why a player the calibur of Kevin Love's name is in the mix.

I know what you're getting at and how important the no trade clause is, as it's not so different from the whole Kobe Bryant trade demand from 2007 or so. Kobe wouldn't want to play for a gutted Bulls team, but the Lakers weren't going to trade him for crap either.

For what it's worth, I'd actually argue that with Griffin being a free agent and Melo being friends with Chris Paul (and that whole Lebron circle), my trade proposal actually makes a little bit of sense in my head

Last edited by fumanstan; 01-26-17 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok, nevermind i'm completely wrong about the Knicks

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...armelo-anthony

The Knicks have let the Clippers know they are open to trading Carmelo Anthony to Los Angeles without getting back either Chris Paul, Blake Griffin or DeAndre Jordan, the New York Daily News reported Thursday.
Old 01-26-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

All-Star Reserves.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-all-star-nods

Western Conference
All-Star Reserves
PLAYER POS. TEAM APP.
Russell Westbrook G Thunder 6th
Klay Thompson G Warriors 3rd
Draymond Green F Warriors 2nd
DeMarcus Cousins C Kings 3rd
Marc Gasol C Grizzlies 3rd
DeAndre Jordan C Clippers 1st
Gordon Hayward G Jazz 1st

Eastern Conference
All-Star Reserves
PLAYER POS. TEAM APP.
Isaiah Thomas G Celtics 2nd
John Wall G Wizards 4th
Kevin Love F Cavaliers 4th
Kyle Lowry G Raptors 3rd
Paul George F Pacers 4th
Kemba Walker G Hornets 1st
Paul Millsap F Hawks 4th
Old 01-26-17, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Embiid wuz robbed!

Also, that trade offer has to look good for the Clips. Can't imagine hpw they manage the cap with four max guys next season though.
Old 01-26-17, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Embiid wuz robbed!

Also, that trade offer has to look good for the Clips. Can't imagine hpw they manage the cap with four max guys next season though.
I don't think Embiid deserves to go no matter what his stats look like. He's played in less then half the games and when he does play he only plays like 25 minutes. His stats are inflated because of all the rest he's getting. If he keeps this up next season when he's playing the amount of time that every other NBA player does then sure.

Other than DeAndre Jordan being on there those are some great reserve picks. Glad to see Kemba and Hayward get some love.
Old 01-26-17, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I never thought I'd see Deandre make the all star team (not because he wasn't worthy, but because it's usually so stacked), let alone without Paul and Griffin. Though that probably helped him a lot, it's hard to put three Clippers on the team.

West has three Centers (Jordan, Cousins, Gasol, arguably Davis and Green too), and some of the biggest snubs are at Center (Gobert, Towns) and the East has none. Also poor Lilliard, even with Chris Paul out he can't make the team.

The funny thing about Melo not wanting to go to a team without Griffin... he completely destroyed that overachieving Knicks team by demanding a trade to get his money and forcing them to trade away a bunch of assets instead of signing with them in the offseason. But a change of scenery should do him good, especially if it's to team with besties Paul or Lebron, both of whom would feed him.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-26-17 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-27-17, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just read the LeBron is the oldest player on the All-Star game roster. Makes me feel old. I remember reading about this amazing kid who was shooting lights out in high school.
Old 01-27-17, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I just read the LeBron is the oldest player on the All-Star game roster. Makes me feel old. I remember reading about this amazing kid who was shooting lights out in high school.
Agreed.

They were also talking about just how old he already is compared to other recent GOAT candidates and when they stopped playing at that level. Unless he was to buck history, he only has 2-3 great years left. Better go for it now.
Old 01-27-17, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
West has three Centers (Jordan, Cousins, Gasol, arguably Davis and Green too), and some of the biggest snubs are at Center (Gobert, Towns) and the East has none. Also poor Lilliard, even with Chris Paul out he can't make the team.
not only does the East have no centers, but they only have 2 legit PFs in Milsap and Love, and those guys are at best PFs, they're not arguably centers like Davis. Quite a contrast.

So, who are the biggest snubs?

I know Sixers fans wanted Embiid, and Gobert and Lillard are snubs. Mike Conley had a pretty good case too.
Old 01-27-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, after Wade and Butler called out their teammates, Rondo called them out on instagram (with a pic of him, KG, and the Truth). It's quite funny, as he's 100% right, but 100% the wrong man for the callout.

My vets would never go to the media. They would come to the team. My vets didn't pick and choose when they wanted to bring it. They brought it every time they stepped in the gym whether it was practice or a game. They didn't take days off. My vets didn't care about their numbers. My vets played for the team. When we lost, they wouldn't blame us. They took responsibility and got in the gym. They showed the young guys what it meant to work. Even in Boston when we had the best record in the league, if we lost a game, you could hear a pin drop on the bus. They showed us the seriousness of the game. My vets didn't have an influence on the coaching staff. They couldn't change the plan because it didn't work for them. I played under one of the greatest coaches, and he held everyone accountable. It takes 1-15 to win. When you isolate everyone, you can't win consistently. I may be a lot of things, but I'm not a bad teammate. My goal is to pass what I learned along. The young guys work. They show up. They don't deserve blame. If anything is questionable, it's the leadership.
Old 01-27-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pjflyer View Post
I've been a Bulls fan through the good and bad of the last few decades. I thought the Rondo/Wade signings were a mistake, but through three games this is some fantastic, unselfish basketball. I didn't realize how disjointed the offense was the last couple years until seeing the ball move so far this year. This could be a small sample size thing right now and team will end up below.500 but I've really enjoyed watching the team play so far.
Never mind.
Old 01-27-17, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.