Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2016 Tennis Thread

Old 06-29-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2016 Tennis Thread

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
espn just listed the 20 greatest players of all time (men and women together). http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor.../tennis-top-20
Not a bad list at all, even if it does omit some old-timers. Lendl deserves a higher ranking and I'd like it if Edberg and Ashe had been included. Glad to see Graf topping the women, but I agree that Becker doesn't belong anywhere near this list.
Old 06-30-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some notable upsets on the men's side. Both Dominic Thiem and David Ferrer lost in straights. Thiem in 3 tiebreakers, Ferrer got worked over easily by Mahut.
Old 06-30-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good win by Genie over Konta, she looked pretty close to her 2014 form.

Muguruza is out.
Old 06-30-16, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Some notable upsets on the men's side. Both Dominic Thiem and David Ferrer lost in straights. Thiem in 3 tiebreakers, Ferrer got worked over easily by Mahut.
Vesely the dude who beat Thiem upset Novak at Monte Carlo earlier in the year. Barring injury looks like he will be a top 10 player once he puts his game together consistently.
Old 06-30-16, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never heard of the kid. When I read who beat him I thought it was one a different Jiri, like Jiri Novak or Jiri Vanek. Thought Thiem just had a bad day against a crafty vet.
Old 07-01-16, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Potential shocker in progress:

Spoiler:
Querry leads Djokovic 2 sets to 0. Now in rain delay.
Old 07-01-16, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Now in rain delay.
I'm sure Sam wasn't happy about that. Gives Novak time to regroup and come back.
Old 07-01-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk God

When is the Joker match scheduled to pick up tomorrow?
Old 07-01-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
When is the Joker match scheduled to pick up tomorrow?
Its scheduled to be the first match on Court One. Play on that court starts at 12:00 pm there so 7:00 am ET/6:00 am CT etc here.

Order Of Play - Saturday, July 2 - http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/score...ule/index.html

Last edited by LaxBandit; 07-01-16 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Didn't something similar happen last year? Djokovic was 2 sets to 0 down to Kevin Anderson, there was a delay and then he came back to win it in 5? Might have been Wimbledon too. Expect him to win this in 5 again.
Old 07-01-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LaxBandit View Post
Its scheduled to be the first match on Court One. Play on that court starts at 12:00 pm there so 7:00 am ET/6:00 am CT etc here.

Order Of Play - Saturday, July 2 - http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/score...ule/index.html
Thanks. Might try to wake up for that.
Old 07-01-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Autotelik View Post
Didn't something similar happen last year? Djokovic was 2 sets to 0 down to Kevin Anderson, there was a delay and then he came back to win it in 5? Might have been Wimbledon too. Expect him to win this in 5 again.
Yup, that was at Wimbledon last year.

But this time, 6-1 in that 2nd set, something was up. I only saw the last couple of games, but Djokovic was not running for some balls well within his (normal) reach, and his serve speed dropped a fair bit. Analysts speculated he had some sort of back/neck issue, but he never called for a medical time out/trainer. Weird...

And del Potro took out Stan. Good to see him back and playing well.
Old 07-01-16, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

@ESPNTennis - Wimbledon matches scheduled for middle Sunday for 4th time in 139 years.

For only the fourth time in Wimbledon's 139-year history, matches will be scheduled on the two-week tournament's middle Sunday.

All England Club spokesman Johnny Perkins said Friday evening that the decision had been made to add the extra day of play, necessitated by repeated rain delays during Week 1 that created a backlog of matches.

When all goes according to plan, the grass-court Grand Slam tournament is supposed to have completed the entire third round of the men's and women's singles draws by Saturday, allowing for a traditional day of rest Sunday. But as of Friday evening, there were still second-round singles matches that had not concluded - one men's match and three women's. That is because there were interruptions by rain on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.

The only other times tournament organizers opted to play on the middle Sunday were 1991, 1997 and 2004. Each time, the occasion - dubbed "People's Sunday" - created a carnival-like atmosphere, with the normally staid grounds filled with rowdy fans who snapped up tickets they rarely get the opportunity to buy. Unlike in the past, when folks would queue up outside the club overnight to get seats, the tournament announced Friday that all tickets will be made available for online purchase in advance, limited to two per household, and none will be sold at the box office on Sunday.

In addition to now having a 14th day of play in hopes of making sure the event finishes by July 10, Wimbledon chose to reduce men's doubles matches in the first and second rounds this year to best-of-three sets, instead of best-of-five.

The singles draws have become out of sync. Seven-time champion Roger Federer is the only man already into the fourth round, thanks to a straight-sets victory over Daniel Evans on Friday. Meanwhile, 24th-seeded Alexander Zverev of Germany and Mikhail Youzhny of Russia have yet to wrap up their second-round match, which was suspended in the fifth set. In women's play, five-time champion Venus Williams and 12th-seeded Carla Suarez Navarro have their fourth-round spots sewn up, but a half-dozen players are still stuck in the second round, including two-time champion Petra Kvitova, No. 11 Timea Bacsinszky and No. 18 Sloane Stephens.
Old 07-02-16, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Joker's having some work to do here.
Old 07-02-16, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk God

How many rain delays can you have?
Old 07-02-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Joker out. That sucks. Well, not if you're still alive in the tourney.
Old 07-02-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How the hell does Sam Querrey on any day ever beat Joker?
Old 07-02-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Both guys were tight in the tie-break, but kudos to Sam for pulling it out.
Old 07-02-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Federer is probably pretty pumped.
Old 07-02-16, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
How the hell does Sam Querrey on any day ever beat Joker?
With 31 aces and 56 winners evidently.

Couldn't stay awake for the match (worked last night). Was surprised the match wasn't moved to Centre today. Djokovic didn't outright blame the fact that he wasn't on Centre, but he said he wasn't as comfortable on court 1, nor was he 100% evidently. Nobody can say the draw was a factor anymore.
Old 07-02-16, 12:33 PM

Sam Querrey at post-match press conference:

Spoiler:
Old 07-02-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good call on an upset more likely in the first week, whoever said that when the draw came out. Very surprised Djokovic couldn't come back from 2 sets down. He must not be 100%. Thought he might get a shot at the calendar slam this year, now I don't think he can do it in his career. Thiem and other youngsters will be a lot better next year.

Still not convinced Federer can win this; he just doesn't look that clean with his shots anymore. His last match was a bit painful to watch despite a straight sets win. I wouldn't count on him getting too hopeful with Djokovic's exit. U.S. open 2014 he still lost to Cilic in the second semi after knowing Nishikori defeated Djokovic in the other semi. I think Murray will take this one
Old 07-02-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Djokovic was ill. In the 2nd set yesterday, I've never seen him this out of sorts. And at the press conference today, when he was asked if he was 100% healthy, he replied: "No, but this is not the time and place to talk about it", and praised Querry for his efforts. That said, if you take the court, you're fit to play.

And I called the "upset more likely in the 1st week of Wimby" thing.
Old 07-02-16, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Autotelik View Post
Still not convinced Federer can win this; he just doesn't look that clean with his shots anymore. His last match was a bit painful to watch despite a straight sets win. I wouldn't count on him getting too hopeful with Djokovic's exit. U.S. open 2014 he still lost to Cilic in the second semi after knowing Nishikori defeated Djokovic in the other semi. I think Murray will take this one
All valid points. However, Roger didn't look great until his last two matches, when he won in 2012, when no one thought he would win (I know it was 4 years ago, but Roger made two finals less than a year ago). He almost lost to then 29 seed Benneteau in the third round and even had to take a medical time out in one of his matches (I think it was a back issue IIRC). He lost to Cilic at the US Open, true, but that was the greatest match Cilic has ever played, and like Del Potro, hasn't done much since winning the US Open. I'm not saying Fed is going to win, but we all have to remember that it's 7 matches, and they don't all have to be master performances. His unforced error count each match has been pretty low actually, and he's hitting his shots and moving much better this week compared to Stuttgart and Halle. He actually pulled out the SBAR for no particular reason with good effect. If he does make the final and it's against Murray, I'd have to give the edge to Fed just because he can still attack Murray's defenses pretty effectively.
Old 07-02-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No question that Fed is sitting pretty now. He gets an extra day's rest and will play journeyman Steve Johnson. So he should be fresh for the last three tougher matches, Nishikori/Cilic and probably Raonic in the semi. But it's tough to judge his form until he plays one of these guys.

And if Kyrgios beats Lopez, Murray will have his hands full.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.