Reload this Page >

The April 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: Wrestlemania XXX

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-01-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sunday, April 6th sees the return of WWE's biggest event of the year...Wrestlemania!

The pre-show match will see The Usos (Jimmy and Jey Uso) (c) vs. Los Matadores (Diego and Fernando) vs. The Real Americans (Cesaro and Jack Swagger) vs. Ryback and Curtis Axel in a Fatal 4-Way for the WWE Tag Team Championship.

Also on the card is the 1st ever Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. 30 men enter, but only one will win the "Giant" trophy. The participants are: Alberto Del Rio, Big E, Big Show, Brad Maddox, Brodus Clay, Christian, Cody Rhodes, Damien Sandow, Darren Young, Dolph Ziggler, Fandango, Drew McIntyre, Goldust, The Great Khali, Heath Slater, Jinder Mahal, Justin Gabriel, Kofi Kingston, Mark Henry, The Miz, Rey Mysterio, Sheamus, R-Truth, Santino Marella, Sin Cara, Titus O'Neil, and Zack Ryder, with three participants TBD.

In six-man tag action, we have The Shield (Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns) vs. Kane and The New Age Outlaws (Road Dogg and Billy Gunn)

On the Divas side of things, we will see a 14 Diva single-fall match for the Divas Championship. I'd imagine that this will be a bathroom break for most of the general audience. Heading into the match, AJ Lee is the champion and has been for just shy of a year.

John Cena will try to put an end to the mind games being played on him as he takes on Bray Wyatt.

Daniel Bryan seeks revenge against the leader of The Authority, Triple H in a singles match. The winner of this match will be inserted into the main event for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. If Daniel loses, we riot.

The Beast vs The Streak finds Brock Lesnar attempting to finally put an end to The Undertaker's long-running Wrestlemania unbeaten streak. Can Lesnar do it or will Taker leave New Orleans at 22-0?

The main event of the evening is your WWE World Heavyweight Championship match. We've got the returning (and heavily disliked) Batista and the winner of the Daniel Bryan/Triple H match taking on defending champion Randy Orton in a triple threat match.
Old 04-01-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The April 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: Wrestlemania XXX

7 matches for four hours. Ridiculous.
Old 04-01-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A Wrestlemania with IC, US or Tag title matches during the actual show. Damn.
Old 04-01-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

RIP YES CHANTS

2012-2014

Old 04-01-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Anybody else watch the press conference?

Jeez what a disaster. I don't know if they actually had real press there, but I do know that the fans weren't there. The damn thing was silent. Amazingly enough, Batista was the only one who managed to get the crowd going, though it was mainly a chorus of boos.
Old 04-01-14, 12:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Александър Русев (Alexander Rusev) is one of the Battle Royale entrants after his strong showing at the Royal Rumble and all the vignettes they've been doing. I could even see him winning it if they want to push him as a new monster.
Old 04-01-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What did Piper have written on his hand last night? Does he need crib notes?
Old 04-01-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
What did Piper have written on his hand last night? Does he need crib notes?
He had the names of the four guys that interrupted them.

His hand said "you you you you"
Old 04-01-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Александър Русев (Alexander Rusev) is one of the Battle Royale entrants after his strong showing at the Royal Rumble and all the vignettes they've been doing. I could even see him winning it if they want to push him as a new monster.
I hope not. He's so terrible.
Old 04-01-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Rusev's an ok power guy. I can see WWE using him like they did with Umaga a few years back. Is there even another full-time "strongman" monster heel at the moment? Henry and Big E are faces. Lesnar's part-time. And Cesaro has a lot of other things going for him besides his strength (plus, he's not really very heelish anymore).

Trouble is those types of characters don't work so well in this era. Once you job out on tv to guys noticeably smaller and weaker than you, there's not much left of your character.
Old 04-01-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 365 Likes on 280 Posts

Well, in past eras the big bad monsters were basically just fed to Hogan to put him over, then were gone from the main event scene. Show's the biggest monster they have and they can't find a way to really use him consistently. I'm curious if he does win the Battle Royale, what do they do with him, turn him heel to feud with Bryan should he win the title?

I'm also not a fan of guys coming out and talking and not wrestling (and in this case, Rusef isn't really doing the talking). I feel the same about Barrett, is he hurt or something, because when's the last time he was in a match?
Old 04-01-14, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Barrett's not hurt ... he's been wrestling on house shows. Just for some reason they haven't had him wrestle on tv for months. In theory there's nothing wrong with his Bad News character. But it should be tied into him wrestling at some point.
Old 04-01-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Moving the Rusef conversation to this thread... I didn't even realize he's Bulgarian and not Russian (maybe because I fast forward whenever he comes on). Not too late to make a change!

Also as far as the Nexus being ruined... I give them a lot of credit for repackaging a lot of them. Ryback and Axel (though they're now buried in the tag division) and especially Bray Wyatt.
Old 04-01-14, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

An update to one of my posts in last months thread - looks like we not having a 6 1/2 hr hour (at least) Wrestlemania show.

No Wrestlemania Post-Match Show - they are showing a sneak peek of the newest WWE Countdown - Infamous Gimmicks - from 11:00 pm ET to 12:00 am ET instead. (Thought I read they will be having post-match shows after each "PPV". Guess not. Weird having a two hour pre-match show and then not have at least a half-hour post-match show.)

Also on Tuesday, April 8 from 9:00 pm ET to 9:30 pm ET - Journey to WrestleMania - Follow a WWE Superstar behind the scenes before, during and after WrestleMania. Our cameras provide you an all-access pass along his journey to WrestleMania.

Wonder what wrestler they will be following? Does this special replace Wrestlemania Rewind that week? - they didn't promote one for next week after the Triple H vs Jericho WM18 one aired last night. Or maybe Wrestlemania Rewind is on from 9:30 pm ET to 10:30 pm ET and then we get a repeat of Journey To Wrestlemania from 10:30 pm to 11:00 pm ET? Schedule on the WWE Network site doesn't list whats on for that day yet - should be made available sometime on Thursday. Got the above info from a "Wrestlemania Week Programs on WWE Network" article.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 04-02-14 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added the bit about them not promoting a new Wrestlemania Rewind for Tuesday, April 8.
Old 04-02-14, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

It was funny when Piper said "in the history of professional wrestling"

and then Ziggler came out and got right in his face and said "SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT".

I'm sure there was an audible gasp backstage when Piper said that.
Old 04-02-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nah. Plenty of wrestling references over the past few years - Punk said it a lot. Bryan even called himself a WRESTLER on the RAW Backstage Pass.

It's not as taboo as it once was.
Old 04-02-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 183 Posts

I have to say for a big anniversary event like Wrestlemania XXX the card seems pretty weak. The only match I'm somewhat interested in is Lesnar/Taker.
Old 04-02-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I will watch WrestleMania even though I have almost -zero- interest in the matches.
Old 04-02-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I have to say for a big anniversary event like Wrestlemania XXX the card seems pretty weak. The only match I'm somewhat interested in is Lesnar/Taker.
I'm sure it will be a solid match, but I don't see the streak ending to a part timer.
Old 04-02-14, 01:02 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I'm sure it will be a solid match, but I don't see the streak ending to a part timer.
Streak will end when Taker stops coming to WM. However does anyone care ... just give us a good match.

I agree with everyone though none of the matches this year spark my interest.
Old 04-02-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Yeah we all know the outcome but Taker is a solid worker (for the few times a year he actually wrestles now days) and he had a lot of great matches with Lesnar during his original run. So I'm thinking they'll pull off a decent match.
Old 04-02-14, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by argh923 View Post
7 matches for four hours. Ridiculous.
Most of these matches have the potential to go 30+ min plus, especially if you count entrances. Not to mention I'm sure they will have some ceremony to celebrate the past 30 years. Rumors are that they are flying in every big name still alive to the show. It wouldn't surprise me to see the likes of HBK, Hogan, Austin, Piper, Warrior, and others sharing the ring or stage together for a segment.
Old 04-03-14, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Daniel Bryan matches are the one(s) I'm looking forward to the most. On one hand, you'd have to think that that WWE would be idiots not to have a positive payoff to end their biggest show ... one that makes everyone go home happy. But on the other hand, I can't quite trust that HHH and friends will do the right thing. I can totally see some newly aligned Evolution screwing over Bryan and just continuing this story ad nauseum. This uncertainty will make the matches exciting for me to watch. But if they blow it, it may drive me away from the product for some time.
Old 04-03-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The one thing I do know is that there's no way they can have Bryan lose that first match. They can have him win, they can have him tie and make it a four way championship match, but they can't have him lose or people will be ticked. After that, who knows? I think the worst case scenario is if Bryan beats HHH, then HHH screws him over in the final match, because that sets us up for more of HHH vs Bryan instead of Bryan being the champ or contending for the championship.

Is Lesnar still spouting off about his number one contender thing? I'd be up for a match between him and champ Bryan in a couple of months (giving time for Bryan to feud with Evolution and Lesnar time to recover from losing to Undertaker). But yeah, this may be the breaking point for a lot of fans depending on how it goes, especially with Punk gone. Luckily WWE has most people's money for another four or five months regardless...
Old 04-03-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guess who is going to be at WM? No, not Punk AFAIK:

Spoiler:
Stone Cold Steve Austin just touched down in New Orleans to make an appearance Sunday at WrestleMania XXX … but when it comes to what he’ll be doing, the legendary wrestler remains tight-lipped.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.