Re: Fantasy Football talk 2013

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Have at it
How did I not see it here all along?
Old 08-18-13, 10:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else have CJ Spiller no 2 overall?
Old 08-18-13, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I wasn't going to play ffb this year at all. But I friend called me up earlier this evening telling me his draft starts in 90 minutes and he was stuck doing something at his kid's school (he wanted to make me co-manager so I could run his draft). I told him I haven't been following ffb at all and I would probably suck ... but he preferred that to leaving things to the autodraft

So I scrambled to look at some draft cheat sheets and gave it a try This was a 12 team league (no PPR) starting QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, RB/WR/TE flex, K, DEF, and 6 bench spots. I had position #12 (oh joy). I got this (pick # in parentheses):

QB: RG3 (6.01), Andy Dalton (10.01)
RB: Alfred Morris (1.12), Reggie Bush (4.01), Lamar Miller (5.12), Daryl Richardson (8.01), Joique Bell (13.12)
WR: AJ Green (2.01), Vincent Jackson (3.12), Miles Austin (7.12), Vincent Brown (11.12)
TE: Greg Olson (9.12), Fred Davis (14.01)
K: Hartley (15.12)
DEF: Steelers (12.01)

Picking 12 out of 12 really sucks. You almost have to go into a zen state in the long gaps between your picks, ignoring what other people are doing and just focus on the remaining players when your turn comes up. Even then, I couldn't help paying more attention as my pick got closer only to see guys I had an eye on get snapped up just before me.

I felt really out of my depth picking sleepers at the end ... since I just haven't been paying attention to that kind of talk this year. I never heard of Lamar Miller so hopefully that's not a bad pick That's about where he seemed to be ranked, and I felt I could use another RB starting for his team. My friend tells me the league is mostly casual players so hopefully it'll be easy to fix things via the waiver wire.

Last edited by brainee; 08-19-13 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-19-13, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
After Peterson at 1, it seems that there is a lot of debate from that point on. With Foster still injured, guys like Martin, Charles and Spiller are all pretty enticing. I pick 3rd in my league and I'll likely chose whoever is left of Charles/Martin. I think Spiller could end up the #1 back at the end of the season, but I think he has more question marks than the other guys.
Old 08-19-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I wasn't going to play ffb this year at all. But I friend called me up earlier this evening telling me his draft starts in 90 minutes and he was stuck doing something at his kid's school (he wanted to make me co-manager so I could run his draft). I told him I haven't been following ffb at all and I would probably suck ... but he preferred that to leaving things to the autodraft
That's how I originally started playing FFB--I was pulled in as a draft replacement when a team's co-owner couldn't make it (and the other was there but didn't feel comfortable). I didn't know much about fantasy but I knew football, and I knew that after the first team went homer and took Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham was a steal at #2. Yes, this was the year he played like one quarter of the first game.

Anyway, I later became official co-owner, then sole owner, of that team and have been in it ever since. We've had 10 teams for 20+ years then contracted to six this year. One owner moved out of state so I thought it might be the end, but another owner talked to me the other day and was sure we were going forward. We decided before the season last year that we'd have keepers if we were still six for this season, or no keepers if we were able to add teams. Of course we all had superteams with only six franchises, but I was still pleased to get AP in the third round. However, my first four picks of Foster, Fitz, AP, and Gronk are definitely a mixed bag. I'll see if we have keepers or not.

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
After Peterson at 1, it seems that there is a lot of debate from that point on. With Foster still injured, guys like Martin, Charles and Spiller are all pretty enticing. I pick 3rd in my league and I'll likely chose whoever is left of Charles/Martin. I think Spiller could end up the #1 back at the end of the season, but I think he has more question marks than the other guys.
I'd throw Lynch into that conversation as well, though I know he still has potential discipline hanging over his head, as well as the threat of random ailments. I drafted him a couple years ago as "last starting tailback still on the board" and have been very pleased.
Old 08-19-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't know what happened. I went to bed after my draft thinking I was OK and woke up the next day and hate my team. See you next year.
Old 08-19-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Picking 13th of 14th this year. Still have about another week till our draft.

We have two Redskin blow hards in our league and they're picking 1 and 2. Neither would take RGIII that high but if he comes around to me in the early 2nd round I might take him in a draft and trade scenario.
Old 08-19-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I'd throw Lynch into that conversation as well, though I know he still has potential discipline hanging over his head, as well as the threat of random ailments. I drafted him a couple years ago as "last starting tailback still on the board" and have been very pleased.
Beast Mode went 2nd in my draft.

I think this year, if you're not 1st the spot you want is somewhere in the middle or middle-late of the order. Because there really isn't a clear pecking order for the next 9 picks after AP. Picking later the decision is taken out of your hands (but you know you'll get a top guy). And you'll have better options in the 2nd.

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Picking 13th of 14th this year. Still have about another week till our draft.

We have two Redskin blow hards in our league and they're picking 1 and 2. Neither would take RGIII that high but if he comes around to me in the early 2nd round I might take him in a draft and trade scenario.
I hate drafting just to trade, especially if you're taking a guy way ahead of where he should go. I'd prefer to let the homers make their reaches and pick the quality guys they overlook for myself.
Old 08-19-13, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate drafting just to trade, especially if you're taking a guy way ahead of where he should go. I'd prefer to let the homers make their reaches and pick the quality guys they overlook for myself.
I wouldn't draft him that early without a trade agreement in place already. It would essentially be me trading my pick, along with another pick for 2 picks. That first pick would just so happen to be RGIII.

I wouldn't draft him and then wait until after the draft to set up a trade though.
Old 08-19-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Beast Mode went 2nd in my draft.

I think this year, if you're not 1st the spot you want is somewhere in the middle or middle-late of the order. Because there really isn't a clear pecking order for the next 9 picks after AP. Picking later the decision is taken out of your hands (but you know you'll get a top guy). And you'll have better options in the 2nd.
Yeah, I don't like the idea of "take the decision out of my hands" for the sake of "I'm too much of a weenie to make a choice I might regret later," but assuming you're in a snake format it's good to get the better option in the second. You could very well end up with the same guy at #7 who you would have taken at #2.
Old 08-19-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Yeah, I don't like the idea of "take the decision out of my hands" for the sake of "I'm too much of a weenie to make a choice I might regret later," but assuming you're in a snake format it's good to get the better option in the second. You could very well end up with the same guy at #7 who you would have taken at #2.
Yeah, that's what I meant more ... instead of being a fantasy weenie If I have a cluster of guys ranked closely in the first round, I'd just as soon pick later, get whoever is left of that group, and have a better choice in round two.

Round 2 is where things start getting more interesting and really determines the shape of your draft. You can get one of the elite WRs just below Megatron (Green, Dez, Julio, BM, DThomas), the next tier of RBs (Forte, CJ, SJax), the "class of his own" TE (Graham), or top-line QB (Rodgers, Brees, Manning).
Old 08-19-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 342 Likes on 264 Posts

So how are drafts going so far? Like last year, I'm tempted to take Graham early, but man does that put you behind in the numbers game early on... I'd think you'd have to wait on QB so you can get at least two upper tier RBs and a top WR. QB this year seems really deep, and I'm wondering if people are seeing them drop as people wait and don't mind getting stuck with the 9th or 10th QB off the board.
Old 08-19-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That's about where he seemed to be ranked, and I felt I could use another RB starting for his team. My friend tells me the league is mostly casual players so hopefully it'll be easy to fix things via the waiver wire.
I really don't think your RBs are bad at all. Morris will get his yards and Reggie Bush should be more effective in Detroit since they will use him in space a lot more. Miller and Richardson look like they will get a bunch of carries. Richardson might be a great value pick since he plays for a coach who loves to run the ball. And his other competition for the job (Isiah Pead) has stunk.
Old 08-19-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

How did I not see it here all along?
I started it after you posted in the other thread.
Old 08-19-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
No way. I have the #2 pick and I'm still going to roll with Foster, I think. I'm afraid of Martin regressing in his sophomore season. I don't really see any other guys that have the same value as AP or Foster.
Old 08-19-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I think it would be silly not to take Foster at 2.

Martin seemed like a feast or famine player last year.
Old 08-19-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I think it would be silly not to take Foster at 2.

Martin seemed like a feast of famine player last year.
Not only that, but my league just recently changed to a PPR league, so guys like Peterson/Foster/McCoy are even more valuable now as RBs.

Also, if you look at Martin's stats, a bulk of his fantasy points seem to have come from 2 monster games. He does have an easier schedule this year, playing against quite a few teams with poor rush defenses, so he might put up good numbers. But I can't justify picking a 2nd year guy who has no real proven track record.
Old 08-19-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
I really don't think your RBs are bad at all. Morris will get his yards and Reggie Bush should be more effective in Detroit since they will use him in space a lot more. Miller and Richardson look like they will get a bunch of carries. Richardson might be a great value pick since he plays for a coach who loves to run the ball. And his other competition for the job (Isiah Pead) has stunk.
Yeah, I generally downplay how I feel about my teams In a 12 team league, having 4 guys who could very well be their team's #1 would seem to be a good spot to be in. Green/VJax seems to be a good starting tandem. RG3 coming back from injury is a little scary, but the upside seemed worth it in the middle rounds and I like Dalton. QB feels really deep this year. TE feels shaky to me, but I just didn't the value I was getting in TEs when my turn to pick came up.

I prefer drafts as close to the start of the season as possible. Otherwise, it makes things even more of a crapshoot than they normally are.

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I started it after you posted in the other thread.
I know
Old 08-24-13, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So this is what I ended up with in my 10 team money league that I was pretty pumped about until I found out I couldn't play a RB in the flex spot (WR or TE) and there wasn't any discussion or anything about the change...so annoying! Should I try to trade one of those RB's?

QB Brees, Romo
RB Doug Martin, CJ Spiller, Stevan Ridley, Lamar Miller
WR Vincent Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Torrey Smith, Josh Gordon, Chris Givens
TE Owen Daniels, Brett Myers
K Justin Tucker
DEF New England
Old 08-24-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Lamar Miller might not even win the starting spot, so you might be OK. Also, you have 2 decent QBs. Obviously you are going to roll with Brees almost always.
Old 08-25-13, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished drafting 4 out of 10 in one of my bigger $ PPR leagues

In the 2nd I drafted CJ2K and traded him straight up for Ray Rice halfway through the draft. The guy that drafted Rice really only drafted him because of his "value" at the end of the 1st, so he decided to trade him for the guy he actually wanted.

I love my team for PPR, but I was one spot away from getting Brady instead of Ryan, and my TE's are pretty weak..

QB: Matt Ryan, RGIII
RB: Ray Rice, Reggie Bush, Demarco Murray, Shane Vereen, Joique Bell
WR: Calvin Johnson, Danny Amendola, Antonio Brown, Josh Gordon, Alshon Jeffery
TE: Fred Davis, Brett Myers
K: Phil Dawson
DEF: Denver
Old 08-25-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thoughts on my team? Never been a fan of RB's on my team. I always seem to do better with WRs.

Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB
Schaub, Matt HOU QB
Brown, Andre NYG RB
Ingram, Mark NOS RB
Lacy, Eddie GBP RB
Mathews, Ryan SDC RB
Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR
Jennings, Greg MIN WR
Johnson, Andre HOU WR
Rice, Sidney SEA WR (P)
Smith, Steve CAR WR
Finley, Jermichael GBP TE
Gates, Antonio SDC TE
Bullock, Randy HOU PK
Zuerlein, Greg STL PK
Packers, Green Bay GBP Def
Old 08-25-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 team league

QB M Stafford 8(72)
RB R Rice 1(9)
RB L McCoy 2(12)
Flex S Ridley 3 (29)
WR V Jackson 4(32)
WR D Bowe 5(49)
TE J Cameron 12(112)
Def Rams 11(109)
K A Henery 15(149)

Bench - D Wilson 6(52), L Miller 9(89), S Richardson 13(129), W Welker 7(69), TY Hilton 10(92), J Flacco 14(132)
Old 08-25-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my auction draft this year, here's what I ended up with:

QB (1)- M. Stafford, J. Freeman
WR (2) - A. Johnson, R. Cobb, L. Moore, A. Roberts
RB (2) - D. Martin, R. Rice, J. Dwyer, K. Moreno, D. Thomas
TE (1) - J. Finley, D. Allen
K (1) - Janikowski
DEF (1) - Arizona

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.