Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Sports Talk (Reverse) You Cannot Be Serious (Tennis Sheep)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-19-13, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to Tennis Sheep.

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:
(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:
The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.
Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:
Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
1 Unique is awarded -15
2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. Due to stacked Slam Dunks becoming a bit too powerful in these games, Iím limiting the stacking to 1 on any given question. If you place more than that on a single question, the additional Slam Dunks will not count.
In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use a single {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. I will answer any questions you have about Slam Dunks.
I will correct mistakes made when sending me your answers at a cost of 10 points.

Other notes
-I am specifically referring to ATP and WTA ranked players. So if the question was name a top 10 player taller then 6 ft tall your cousin Pierre who is currently the 5th ranked player in Ncaa Division II or The French Club League is incorrect and not applicable
- Unless a question specifies or permits doubles players as answers all questions are about Singles players on the WTA and ATP Tour
-Please read game specific rules and make note of 1 MAX Dunk per question
-I have no idea how much interest or how little interest a tennis sheep game will que so I will be closing this at 20-25 players

The Questions
Spoiler:

01. S:Name a hot Eastern European Tennis Player who's last name is not Kournikova or Sharapova.

02. R: Name a pair of tennis siblings single or doubles players(IE I will accept like the ___ sisters or ___ brothers but if it's a brother-sister siblings you need to specify the name of at least one of them and if you go super obscure I will need you to name 1 of the people since someone could just guess a common surname like Anderson,Smith or Lopez etc)

03. S: .Bar none the Grand Slam year after year that has the most entertaining matches is

04. S: The best yearly tournament that is not one of the Grand Slams is.

05. S: Name a small populous country who has had success with players winning Grand Slams in the last decade or so that you feel could be a 1 time anomoly for said country

06. R: Name an American from (2001-present) who has won a Grand Slam in singles,ladies doubles or mens doubles

07. S: If ESPN broke out with the headline top 10 player found out to be steroid cheat the first name that pops into your head would be.

08. S: On a bit of a flip side to the last question if Espn broke out with the headline top 10 player found out to be steroid cheat the player you would least suspect is.

09. S: The term one slam wonder may be a bit of an insult, but 99.99% of the people who ever pick up a tennis racket would trade places with a 1 slam wonder in a heartbeat. With that said which 1 slam wonder do you think has had the best career?

10. S: On the flipside to the last question which One Slam Wonder was the biggest flash in the pan/fluke winner.

11. S: As tennis is an individual sport many players have reputations for being ill tempered brats more so even then sports where the riches are far greater. Which player past or present had the worst on court behaivor

12. R: Name a male who has won multiple Singles Slams in the last 20 years.

13. R: Name someone from a Spanish speak country(By that I mean a country where Spanish is the official language or at least 50%.1 of the population speak it so guessing someone from Usa or Canada for example would be incorrect) who has won a Grand Slam in singles the last 25 years

14. R: Name a tennis player from Spain who has been ranked in the top 10 during the last 20 years

15. S: Name a tennis player who is a carpetbagger(IE playing at the Olympics or Grand Slam level for a country they were not born or grew up in)

16. S: Past or present the player on tour who's had the best career but has not won a Slam is

17. S: So America has not had a man win a slam since Roddick won the Us Open in 03 and you have to go back to the beginning of the last decade to find an American female not named Venus or Serena in the top 10.It can't all be lack of talent, which American is the biggest underachieve/waste of talent in the last decade on either the mens or womens

18. S: Name a notable family member of a tennis player (Ie parent,spouse,uncle,sibling)

19. S: Which country that has yet to produce a Grand Slam Champion on the Male Tour is likely to have their 1st Major winner sometime in the next 10-20 years.

20. R: Name a female who has won multiple slams in the last 20 years

21. S: Which tv networks coverage of tennis during matches and tournaments is the best .

22. S: Not that there is anything wrong with it but no active player on the ATP Tour has ever come out while on tour. On the flipside the WTA Tour has several out females. Instead of idle gossip over which players may or may not be gay instead I will ask after Jason Collins coming out which American sport do you think will be next to have an active male player come out.

23. R: .While teen sensations may have been frequent in the past, due to the changing physical nature of the sport it's something we may not see again. Name someone who won a Grand Slam while a teenager.

24. S: .Who is the best female player of the Open Era

25. S: Who is the best male player of the Open Era.

Last edited by Howie2000; 05-19-13 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-19-13, 08:47 PM

Re: Sports Talk (Reverse) You Cannot Be Serious (Tennis Sheep)

I'm in!
Old 05-20-13, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm not very good at the last 20 years of tennis, but I'll submit answers tomorrow.
Old 05-20-13, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know shit about tennis, but I entered for fun. I know I have no chance.
Old 05-20-13, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I sent my answers but they are not very good.
Old 05-20-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

I'll send my answers to help out the game.
Old 05-20-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know a total of 5 tennis players and that's because I skimmed through your questions lol
Old 05-20-13, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm confident... in saying that the answers I just sent are truly the worst I've ever submitted for a game of Sheep. Apologies in advance for insulting the Sheepmaster!

I just wish I knew more Eastern European women... I mean, I wish I knew the names of more Eastern European women for purposes of this game.

The good thing is that it's made me think about a lot of past tennis players, and that's a good memory.
Old 05-20-13, 03:49 PM

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm in.
Old 05-20-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Answers sent.
Old 05-20-13, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 155 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm in. I assume answers are sent via PM to the OP?
Old 05-20-13, 08:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will try to send some answers tomorrow.
Old 05-20-13, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Since most of my tennis knowledge is from the '80s and I only watch tennis in passing now I expect to do very poorly; nevertheless, crappy answers sent.
Old 05-20-13, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love how the pic shows Mac with the Kramer Pro Staff instead of the Dunlop oversize graphite.
Old 05-21-13, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PM sent. I'm in. Some took a bit of thought.
Old 05-21-13, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I went with a ton of what I hope are sheepy answers vs. answers I truly believed were the correct ones. Hope it pays off.
Old 05-21-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

^ if I'm not mistaken, that's how the game works. You pick what you think is the most popular choice, not what you think is right.
Old 05-21-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh I know, but I'm stubborn, and terrible at sheep .
Old 05-22-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are we waiting for more players before we start?
Old 05-22-13, 04:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I just sent my, (bad), answers.
Old 05-22-13, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks like Howie hasn't been on the board at all since Monday night.
Old 05-22-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Striker was the squadron leader. He brought us in real low. But he couldn't handle it.
Buddy couldn't handle it. Was Buddy one of your crew?
Right. Buddy was the bombardier. But it was Striker who couldn't handle it, and he went to pieces.
Andy went to pieces?
No. Andy was the navigator. He was all right. Buddy went to pieces. It was awful how he came unglued.
Howie came unglued?
Oh, no. Howie was a rock, the best tailgunner in the outfit. Buddy came unglued.
And he bailed out?
No. Andy hung tough. Buddy bailed out. How he survived, it was a miracle.
Then Howie survived?
No, 'fraid not. We lost Howie the next day.
Over Macho Grande?
No. I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande. Those wounds run... pretty deep.

Poor Howie.
Old 05-22-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Are we waiting for more players before we start?
Start what? I thought the OP just sorted through the answers, tallied the scores, came out and said "'username' wins!".

Can you tell I've never played this game before?
Old 05-22-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Start what? I thought the OP just sorted through the answers, tallied the scores, came out and said "'username' wins!".

Can you tell I've never played this game before?
I guess so. The recent NBA game was almost 600 posts long.
Old 05-22-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I guess so. The recent NBA game was almost 600 posts long.
Holy crap! I only opened the thread/answered the questions because it's about tennis. I briefly skimmed through the rules and didn't even use these 'slam dunk' thingies because I went meh... too complicated...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.