Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-16-13, 09:44 AM   #51
DVD Talk Legend

re: The One and Only FOX Sports and FS1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Can't speak to CBS, but NBC carries (or will carry) Tour de France, F1, and EPL, and plenty of people watch those.
Plus IndyCar (the few of us left who still watch) and my favorite NFL pundit show: ProFootballTalk hosted by Erik Kuselias and Mike Florio (runners up: anything with Dave Dameshek/Adam Rank or without Warren Sapp).
Old 07-16-13, 12:07 PM   #52
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
ProFootballTalk hosted by Erik Kuselias and Mike Florio (runners up: anything with Dave Dameshek/Adam Rank or without Warren Sapp).
My brother watches this. Its a pretty good studio show.
Old 07-16-13, 12:28 PM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

I could see ESPN, TBS, MLB not wanting FS1 to show alternate MLB games, but who would stop them from airing alternate NFL games in weeks in which they have the doubleheader? CBS?

CBS has their own cable sports network, too. They could do the same thing. I guess DirectTV could bitch, but they're just using CBS/Fox broadcasts anyway. Would they really want to bite the hand that feeds them?
Old 07-16-13, 12:32 PM   #54
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
ProFootballTalk hosted by Erik Kuselias and Mike Florio (runners up: anything with Dave Dameshek/Adam Rank or without Warren Sapp).
That's a good show, and they used to NBC Sportstalk right after that which was a 1 hour show that dealt with all sport subjects of the day. I also watch 'The Lights' every morning, which is a 20 minute highlight show which shows EVERY sports event from the night before, not like ESPN who pick and chose the teams they put on Sportscenter.
Old 07-16-13, 12:36 PM   #55
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
I could see ESPN, TBS, MLB not wanting FS1 to show alternate MLB games, but who would stop them from airing alternate NFL games in weeks in which they have the doubleheader? CBS?

CBS has their own cable sports network, too. They could do the same thing. I guess DirectTV could bitch, but they're just using CBS/Fox broadcasts anyway. Would they really want to bite the hand that feeds them?
I'm going to guess that the NFL would stop them. They get a lot of money from DirecTV for Sunday Ticket, and wouldn't want to weaken that deal (at least not without some concessions from Fox).
Old 07-16-13, 12:42 PM   #56
DVD Talk God

Not to mention local FOX affiliates. They want you watching your local FOX.

It's silly to discuss - there's no way the current contracts will allow for it.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 07-16-13, 01:09 PM   #57
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
I'm going to guess that the NFL would stop them. They get a lot of money from DirecTV for Sunday Ticket, and wouldn't want to weaken that deal (at least not without some concessions from Fox).
They've already weakened it by having the silly ,no one cares about,Thursday night schedule. Players bitch and moan about head injuries and the NFL moves up one game a week so the players aren't properly rested.
Old 07-16-13, 05:07 PM   #58
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I actually watch plenty of things on NBC Sports Network. In fact, more than on ESPN, at least until football starts. I can't remember ever watching anything on CBS Sports Network however.
All I remember about CBS Sports Network is they ran Super Bowl 47 coverage non-stop during Super Bowl Week and I have not even flipped once since then then.

I like the Costas Now shows on NBC Sports Network and they have the NHL playoffs which makes them superior to the CBS Sports network.
Old 07-17-13, 07:21 AM   #59
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post

From what I have been reading about the Sunday Ticket, DirectTV may not made a big splash when the TV rights are up in 2014 like they did in the past. Simply because the RedZone has weakened and it isn't worth it for them to pay crazy money for exclusive rights. What they are saying will happen is every cable system will have the right to the Sunday Ticket/RedZone, but it will be a package deal to the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
They've already weakened it by having the silly ,no one cares about,Thursday night schedule. Players bitch and moan about head injuries and the NFL moves up one game a week so the players aren't properly rested.
While I agree with you that the NFL is hypocritical about player safety and then having a Thursday Night game every week, this is a big money maker for them. I believe they eventually want to get a network like NBC Sports to televise maybe half or all of the Thursday night games. Even though many cable systems still don't pick up the NFL Network, the Thursday Night games still get good ratings and that = more money in the owners pockets.
Old 07-17-13, 08:40 AM   #60
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
From what I have been reading about the Sunday Ticket, DirectTV may not made a big splash when the TV rights are up in 2014 like they did in the past. Simply because the RedZone has weakened and it isn't worth it for them to pay crazy money for exclusive rights. What they are saying will happen is every cable system will have the right to the Sunday Ticket/RedZone, but it will be a package deal to the public.

While I agree with you that the NFL is hypocritical about player safety and then having a Thursday Night game every week, this is a big money maker for them. I believe they eventually want to get a network like NBC Sports to televise maybe half or all of the Thursday night games. Even though many cable systems still don't pick up the NFL Network, the Thursday Night games still get good ratings and that = more money in the owners pockets.
A lot of people in the media think the NFL is making a major mistake by scheduling Thursday night games. I never watch it unless the Vikings are playing. Last years match-ups were horrid.
Old 07-17-13, 09:02 AM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
A lot of people in the media think the NFL is making a major mistake by scheduling Thursday night games. I never watch it unless the Vikings are playing. Last years match-ups were horrid.
I think that's sort of the point. They're putting a horrible match up on their on station but on a night with no sports competition. Why would they waste a marquee game there?
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 07-17-13, 09:11 AM   #62
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I think that's sort of the point. They're putting a horrible match up on their on station but on a night with no sports competition. Why would they waste a marquee game there?
NFL needs expansion and realignment to keep me interested in the games. Too many divisions. Too many cheap champions. The NHL just cut back on divisions so its possible to have fewer teams finish in first place and still have a better product.
Old 07-17-13, 09:20 AM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

NFL does not need expansion. Yuck.
Old 07-17-13, 09:26 AM   #64
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
But there is always an audience for a weekly Football game because of gambling, fantasy football, etc. I bet you they could get good ratings with a Tuesday Night Football.

I don't gamble or play fantasy football (And I also love the NHL, NBA and MLB), so I only watch a Thursday night game if its a good matchup, but there are enough people out there that will watch it for those reasons.

Football has the luxury of having a 16 game schedule so its the easiest sport for the casual fan to follow. I can't tell you how many of my friends think I'm crazy for being an MLB fan cause its 162 games, as they love the NFL because its once a week for 4 months, sprinkled with Sunday Night, Monday Night and Thursday Night games they can bet on and watch their fantasy players too.
Old 07-17-13, 09:28 AM   #65
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
NFL does not need expansion. Yuck.
Three teams in the AFC East play like expansion teams now. The Patriots have clinched first place w/o playing a game.
Old 07-17-13, 09:31 AM   #66
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
But there is always an audience for a weekly Football game because of gambling, fantasy football, etc. I bet you they could get good ratings with a Tuesday Night Football.

I don't gamble or play fantasy football (And I also love the NHL, NBA and MLB), so I only watch a Thursday night game if its a good matchup, but there are enough people out there that will watch it for those reasons.

Football has the luxury of having a 16 game schedule so its the easiest sport for the casual fan to follow. I can't tell you how many of my friends think I'm crazy for being an MLB fan cause its 162 games, as they love the NFL because its once a week for 4 months, sprinkled with Sunday Night, Monday Night and Thursday Night games they can bet on and watch their fantasy players too.
I used too watch sports morning ,noon and night. Now a days ,I can watch an NFL doubleheader on Sunday afternoon but rarely watch the NFL besides that. Baseball is the same way. I will watch an afternoon game followed by an early evening game but rarely watch the 10pm slot games.
Old 07-17-13, 09:59 AM   #67
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Three teams in the AFC East play like expansion teams now. The Patriots have clinched first place w/o playing a game.
And this means you should expand even more?
Old 07-17-13, 03:13 PM   #68
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
And this means you should expand even more?
Plus put Baltimore,Pittsburgh and New England in the same division.
Old 07-23-13, 10:45 AM   #69
DVD Talk God

FOX/NBC to share NASCAR rights:
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/S...BC-rights.aspx

Quote:

ESPN and Turner Sports will be out of the NASCAR business after next season, according to several sources. NASCAR is planning a press conference later today to announce that Fox and NBC will share rights to the sport starting in 2014. Financial terms of NBC’s deal and its broadcast plans aren’t known, but the network had been pitching NASCAR on returning the Sprint Cup series to broadcast TV and could air races on Sunday afternoons on NBC prior to "Sunday Night Football." NBC also picked up rights to the second half of the Nationwide Series. It’s unclear if those races will be on NBC or NBC Sports Network.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-23-13, 09:31 PM   #70
DVD Talk Hero

it looks like Fox Sports 1 will essentially be a mix of Fox Soccer and Fuel (which is essentially the UFC network now) for the first few weeks/months of air
Old 07-23-13, 09:40 PM   #71
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
it looks like Fox Sports 1 will essentially be a mix of Fox Soccer and Fuel (which is essentially the UFC network now) for the first few weeks/months of air
Fuel is actually being dissolved and will become FOX Sports 2 at some point. There's no date yet. I think FOX is really just concerned about launching FS1 and getting it running.

I have to admit, there is really nothing during the initial launch that would interest me on FS1. NASCAR and UFC are the 2 main events on day 1. I have no interest in either. I am curious about their studio show FOX Sports Live, but there is no way I'm going to sit down and watch a 3-hour broadcast of that. I may sample some of it.
Old 07-24-13, 06:17 AM   #72
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

I have to admit, there is really nothing during the initial launch that would interest me on FS1.
From what I read, they will have an hour Sportscenter starting at 11PM every night. I haven't watched Sportscenter on ESPN for years, so it would be nice if FOX actually went old school and actually showed highlights for most of the hour like ESPN used to do before it became obsessed with Tebow and Lebron.
Old 07-24-13, 08:10 AM   #73
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I have to admit, there is really nothing during the initial launch that would interest me on FS1. NASCAR and UFC are the 2 main events on day 1. I have no interest in either. I am curious about their studio show FOX Sports Live, but there is no way I'm going to sit down and watch a 3-hour broadcast of that. I may sample some of it.
I wouldn't expect there to be much to offer on an August Saturday (much like I wouldn't be watching ESPN on that day either). I won't watch anything on it until there is a reasonably good Big 12 or P12 football matchup.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-24-13, 11:14 AM   #74
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
From what I read, they will have an hour Sportscenter starting at 11PM every night. I haven't watched Sportscenter on ESPN for years, so it would be nice if FOX actually went old school and actually showed highlights for most of the hour like ESPN used to do before it became obsessed with Tebow and Lebron.
Fox Sports Live (the show you're talking about) is 3 hours long.

I have friends who are working on the show.
Old 07-24-13, 11:32 AM   #75
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know how many people here get most of the sports packages,but if you do,the last thing you want to watch is a highlight package show. If you're watching most of the games,you have already seen the highlights.