Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Old 01-23-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Not really. Norv had good enough players in Washington to win. He should have won the division in 1996, 1997, and 2000. The Cowboys dynasty was over -- the NFC East was quite weak at the time.
Old 01-23-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
Yeah he's thinking racially. So what, he's right. Every coaching opening went to a white person. You mean to tell me there isn't one qualified black coach or any other minority coaching candidate out there. Most of them didn't even get an interview. It's ridiculous and I'm glad he said it. It needs to be repeated over and over again.
oh man.... this isnt even about racial shit... this is the problem...he isnt that good... he cant command an offense even with better tools...

this racial shit needs to be cut the f out... its weak
Old 01-23-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think race is a factor here either.
Old 01-23-13, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
oh man.... this isnt even about racial shit... this is the problem...he isnt that good... he cant command an offense even with better tools...

this racial shit needs to be cut the f out... its weak
No minority coaches hired for 8 open spots. A CFL coach, a retread coach, a college coach and a bunch of offensive coordinators. All white. There is definitely something wrong with that picture. And no I'm not cutting the racial shit the f out.

Last edited by bootsy; 01-23-13 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-23-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't care what color you are. If you win 10 games as a head coach in the NFL, you 1) shouldn't get fired and 2) should be a hot commodity if you do get fired.

Also, the Bears were 16th in the league in points scored despite Cutler missing almost 2 full games. And that's probably about where Cutler ranks among NFL QBs. Just saying.
Old 01-23-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ok so he interviewed with 3 Different Teams... no job offers...

must be racial... Mike Tomlin didnt get fired... i wonder why...
Old 01-23-13, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
ok so he interviewed with 3 Different Teams... no job offers...

must be racial... Mike Tomlin didnt get fired... i wonder why...
Man I've only been told this oh I don't know like 8 times today that Lovie was interviewed 3 times. So did he get any of those jobs? No he didn't. How many other minority candidates were interviewed? Not very many. So we are pretty much where we started: You aren't making any valid, new points. That's pretty much a daily occurrence with you.

Mike Tomlin, not sure what he has to do with this at all. He's been to the Super Bowl twice and won it once. That's the equivalent of me saying:

Tom Coughlin didn't get fired I wonder why?
Old 01-23-13, 03:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chess View Post
I don't care what color you are. If you win 10 games as a head coach in the NFL, you 1) shouldn't get fired and 2) should be a hot commodity if you do get fired.

Also, the Bears were 16th in the league in points scored despite Cutler missing almost 2 full games. And that's probably about where Cutler ranks among NFL QBs. Just saying.
No way he's a good qb and Lovie didn't get his team to the Super Bowl with that good qb but did with a bad qb in Grossman. Make sense? It does to a poster who tried to convince it made sense.
Old 01-23-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by chess View Post

I don't care what color you are. If you've made the playoffs once in the last 6 years, I'm not going to hire you or keep you as head coach.
Old 01-23-13, 03:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I don't care what color you are. If you've made the playoffs once in the last 6 years, I'm not going to hire you or keep you as head coach.
But you'll hire one who missed it the past two years and won 4 games this past year right away.
Old 01-23-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
But you'll hire one who missed it the past two years and won 4 games this past year right away.
I'll hire one who's made it to the playoffs 9 out of 14 years and 3 of the last 5, sure. KC averaged 13 points a game last year. I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to hire a offensive oriented coach. The defensive oriented coach damn sure didn't work for them. And he was a black head coach retread, by the way.

I already posted the differences between Lovie's and Fat Andy's resumes. Perhaps you choose to ignore it.

You seem to want to put Fat Andy in the Norv Turner category. That's just silly.
Old 01-23-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Chris Rock said....if Norv Turner can get re-hired in the NFL (twice no less), why can't Lovie, I think this thread would have a page less posts now because everyone would be in agreement.
Except Turner never got a job the way people are arguing Lovie should get one now. Each time he got fired, he took an OC job for a year or two or three before getting another shot at HC (and he keeps getting those HC shots because he's a damn good OC and teams get suckered into thinking he'll be a better HC this time around). Lovie was just fired. If he was willing to take a DC job right now, no doubt he'd have one. But he wants a HC job right away, and most retreads usually have to take some time off or some time as a coordinator to get another shot. Reid is an exception because as HC/GM, he had a long and very successful run.

Does anyone think Lovie will never get another shot? he just wasn't a hot enough commodity to get one immediately after being fired. Two collapses in the last two years will do that to you, 10-6 or not.
Old 01-23-13, 03:55 PM
Banned

I'll hire one who's made it to the playoffs 9 out of 14 years and 3 of the last 5, sure.

I already posted the differences between Lovie's and Fat Andy's resumes. Perhaps you choose to ignore it.

You seem to want to put Fat Andy in the Norv Turner category. That's just silly.
I know you did. The differences really aren't that great. Andy Reid's slippage has been pretty glaring the past few years and he doesn't have the injury excuse Lovie's had with having to rely on Caleb Hanie and Marion Barber to make the playoffs either. Relying on Vick knowing he isn't the same qb, Reid was 1 and done the last two times he made the playoffs, won less than 10 games in 4 of last 6 seasons. He wasn't anymore qualified for the job than Lovie was and especially to get a job that quickly either.

And no I don't seem to want to or didn't put Fat Andy in the Norv category. Nice assumption.
Old 01-23-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Yes, the differences are great. 9/14 years with a playoff appearance and 7/14 with a playoff win is far better than 3/9 and 2/9 respectively. In the last 5 years (where Andy was slipping), 3/5 vs. 1/5. The numbers don't lie.
Old 01-23-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone who thinks that race played one tiny bit into any of these HC hirings is just ignorant and looking for racism where there is none.

Team owners and GM's are looking out for themselves. WINNING is what they care about. Well, winning and making money - and of course you make more money when you're winning.

Lovie missed the playoffs more often than he made it. Norv made the playoffs as many times as he missed it in San Diego and got fired. Why? Because he was a mediocre head coach. He didn't get the job done. Neither did Lovie.

Lovie Smith is a great defensive coach, but he isn't someone I'd hire as a Head Coach. I wouldn't have hired Norv, either. I wouldn't have hired Andy Reid, for what that's worth. The Eagles fell apart over the last couple of years. I would have hired Ken Whisenhunt over Andy Reid or Lovie Smith. Easily.

Hell, Whisenhunt did a really good job in Arizona until the GM took the team apart and let all the talent walk. I'd say he's a MUCH better candidate than Lovie Smith, and he didn't get a HC job, either.

It's not about race. It's about how you are perceived as a coach. Lovie is perceived as someone who cannot get the job done because of his offensive shortcomings. He has a glaring weakness in the X's and O's department. A head coach cannot afford to have any glaring X's and O's weaknesses. Not if he's trying to get a new job.

Calling the race card in this case is really weak. Race had ZERO to do with Lovie not getting a HC job this year.
Old 01-23-13, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Except Turner never got a job the way people are arguing Lovie should get one now. Each time he got fired, he took an OC job for a year or two or three before getting another shot at HC (and he keeps getting those HC shots because he's a damn good OC and teams get suckered into thinking he'll be a better HC this time around). Lovie was just fired. If he was willing to take a DC job right now, no doubt he'd have one. But he wants a HC job right away, and most retreads usually have to take some time off or some time as a coordinator to get another shot. Reid is an exception because as HC/GM, he had a long and very successful run.

Does anyone think Lovie will never get another shot? he just wasn't a hot enough commodity to get one immediately after being fired. Two collapses in the last two years will do that to you, 10-6 or not.
I agree. Hell, even with the Redskins defensive improvement in the 2nd half of the season, I'd take Lovie as DC over Haslett in a heartbeat.
Old 01-23-13, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd take Lovie over Schwartz in Detroit.
Old 01-23-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Am I the only one who thinks that Ken Whisenhunt is a very good head coach?

I mean, he took the Arizona Cardinals to the Super Bowl for crying out loud! And that team only declined because of the incompetence in the front office (notice Anquan Boldin is going to the Super Bowl, and made two key TD catches on Sunday). The Cardinals roster is crap. Vince Lombardi couldn't have won with those guys.

And Whisenhunt didn't get hired for any of the current HC jobs. He took the OC job in San Diego. He may get another shot as a HC in a year or two. Honestly, he was about 3rd or 4th on my wish list this year.
Old 01-23-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Lets be real - Kurt Warner took Arizona to the SB. But I don't think Wisenhunt is necessarily a bad head coach.
Old 01-23-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love that folks latched onto the fact that he interviewed with 3 teams. Rooney Rule. They had to talk to somebody.

I don't think GMs or owners are actively racist...but I do believe that there are a bunch of qualified potential head coaches of color who are being overlooked for whatever reason.
Old 01-23-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

JaMarcus Russell wants to make a comeback, been working with a variety of mentors. Points out that he has dropped his weight from 320 last fall to 308..

Yeah, when you weigh over 3 bills, losing 12 pounds shows you really mean business.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,4806141.story
Old 01-23-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lets be real - Kurt Warner took Arizona to the SB. But I don't think Wisenhunt is necessarily a bad head coach.
Warner didn't take the Giants to the Super Bowl.

Whisenhunt made a difference. I think he's a significantly better head coach than Lovie Smith.
Old 01-23-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Just because he didn't take the Giants to the SB doesn't mean he didn't take the Cards to the SB. Wisenhunt made a difference but they didn't do dick after Warner left.
Old 01-23-13, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just because he didn't take the Giants to the SB doesn't mean he didn't take the Cards to the SB. Wisenhunt made a difference but they didn't do dick after Warner left.
Because they also let Boldin go and didn't replace either of them adequately. They also let a lot of other players go as well. It's kind of like San Diego's decline to a point, only worse. The front office dismantled that team after Warner retired. They haven't had a legit QB since Warner retired and the rest of the roster is far below the level it was at previously as well.

Whisenhunt is a very good head coach. He'll get another HC job - but unlike Lovie he seems to be willing to take a coordinator's job for the time being to earn his way back into the conversation.

He's a better head coach than Lovie Smith. That's all I'm saying, basically. So anyone complaining about Smith not getting a HC job better look at everyone else who was passed over as well.
Old 01-23-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, most HCs don't go from one job to another without a gap in the middle (or a coordinator job in the middle). Only the most respected get fired and immediately hired. Andy Reid may even be the only one currently working in the NFL who fits that bill.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.