Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Old 01-22-13, 01:52 PM
  #276  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,749
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

DJ... if you can ask this question to your friends on the inside, how does one go about getting a job within the football organization?
raven56706 is offline  
Old 01-22-13, 02:01 PM
  #277  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 55,826
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
DJ... if you can ask this question to your friends on the inside, how does one go about getting a job within the football organization?
To work for a team? I have no idea to be honest. I've worked in TV since 1997 and have made many connections over the years. Got hooked up working at NFL network through my old boss from Fox. I worked at Fox for 14 years before I left in the summer of 2011. The people I work with at NFL network really have no connections to a team other than the media people for press conferences for taking to coaches and players for our shows.
DJariya is offline  
Old 01-22-13, 02:25 PM
  #278  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
After hearing what Tim Brown had to say about Bill Callahan in the Oak/TB SB, I'm all for Bill Callahan calling plays for Dallas.
Tim Brown is a bitter douchebag. No wonder that guy hasn't been inducted into the HOF. He's saying things about Callahan, Trestman but not pointing the finger at himself or his teammates for failing to deliver. That's probably next. He comes across as a bitterman.
bootsy is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 08:12 AM
  #279  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,842
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Well, is Jerry Rice a bitter douchebag too because he basically corroborated Tim Brown's account?

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-23-13 at 08:19 AM.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 08:39 AM
  #280  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Well, is Jerry Rice a bitter douchebag too because he basically corroborated Tim Brown's account?
And Rich Gannon didn't corroborate it. So Jerry Rice backed it up it must be true. I mean he's Jerry Rice how could he be wrong about anything. Rice ought to be thanking his lucky stars Callahan's offense ressurrect his almost dead/declining career at that time.

I heard Brown again last night and he kind of backed off of his original statement. I think these guys hated Callahan more than anything but to say he sabotaged the Super Bowl is some outrageous accusations but you can keep believing it all you want. He also called Callahan the greatest offensive mind he's ever played with. These guys didn't like Callahan changing the game plan days before the Super Bowl. That's fine I wouldn't like that either because it isn't the norm but to say he sabotaged it is ridiculous. You buying into that well not surprising.
bootsy is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 08:52 AM
  #281  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,842
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

I don't know. You seemed think it was because Tim Brown is a bitter douchebag who hasn't made the HOF. Well, Jerry Rice is the greatest WR of all time and has 3 rings so the bitter douchebag factor doesn't apply there.

I really don't care either way if there was sabotage, and I don't think it was. I never thought much of anything of Bill Callahan (he inherited Gruden's team and then Oakland quickly fell apart; he sucked at Nebraska), sabotage or not, so if he's calling plays for the Cowboys, it works for me.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 09:17 AM
  #282  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I don't know. You seemed think it was because Tim Brown is a bitter douchebag who hasn't made the HOF. Well, Jerry Rice is the greatest WR of all time and has 3 rings so the bitter douchebag factor doesn't apply there.

I really don't care either way if there was sabotage, and I don't think it was. I never thought much of anything of Bill Callahan (he inherited Gruden's team and then Oakland quickly fell apart; he sucked at Nebraska), sabotage or not, so if he's calling plays for the Cowboys, it works for me.
I've always thought that about Brown because he's been saying this for a few years now. What is to gain by doing this 2 years ago, now? Nothing. If you really wanted to do this make a big stink about it before the game when it was happening or immediately after the game. He's always struck me as bitter in his interviews. So yeah he is a bitter douchebag and will always be one.

I don't give a crap if Rice is the greatest WR and has 3 rings that doesn't give him a free pass to start throwing out ridiculous accusations. He just made himself sound sillier than Brown did by jumping in it. So I guess according to your logic since Rice was a great player he can say whatever he wants about anybody and it's ok with you.

Obviously you do somewhat care about it because you keep defending Rice and Brown to no end. I love this, now you don't care about when you have been defending it since the story came out.

Saying Callahan inherited Gruden's team isn't telling the entire story and isn't fair. He could have very easily screwed it up. He took the team to the Super Bowl which isn't easy to do especially that team and organization. He also was the offensive coordinator for 4 years and had it in the top 10 3 of those years and top 5 two of those years. He knew the personnel and knew the team before taking over as head coach so again not really fair to say he just stepped in and inherited what Gruden had when Callahan had a big hand in what was going on as well. Unlike Gruden WHO DID inherit Dungy's Tampa Bay team. As for Nebraska, my goodness I couldn't care less what he did at Nebraska about as much as what Monte Kiffin did at USC. It's two completely different levels of football. What I do care is what he's done since he's been in the NFL especially as a coordinator. If you are going to discredit someone at least know what you are talking about and at least be fair. Which I know is very hard for you.
bootsy is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 09:31 AM
  #283  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,842
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

You really don't understand what the winky smiley conveys do you?

I'm just saying you seem to think Brown's bitter douchiness was THE factor. Well, that element is removed when you have Rice giving the same opinion.

The important thing is you like him calling plays. I like him calling plays. It's great to agree.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 09:53 AM
  #284  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
You really don't understand what the winky smiley conveys do you?

I'm just saying you seem to think Brown's bitter douchiness was THE factor. Well, that element is removed when you have Rice giving the same opinion.

The important thing is you like him calling plays. I like him calling plays. It's great to agree.
How is it removed because of Rice? I don't get it. I already said Brown is still one and Rice is too since he feels the same way. You feel that since Rice is the greatest WR and has 3 rings there's no way he can be bitter. He can and is showing it here.
bootsy is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 09:56 AM
  #285  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,842
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Because Rice isn't the bitter douchebag that Brown is acc'd to you. You basically said the claim is w/o merit because Brown is a bitter douchebag. But Rice isn't a bitter douchebag and said the same thing. Thus you need another reason besides 'bitter douchebag.'
Red Dog is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 10:00 AM
  #286  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Because Rice isn't the bitter douchebag that Brown is acc'd to you. You basically said the claim is w/o merit because Brown is a bitter douchebag. But Rice isn't a bitter douchebag and said the same thing. Thus you need another reason besides 'bitter douchebag.'
No I'm saying the claim is without merit because in addition to Brown being a bitter douchebag, he didn't say anything about it before or immediately after the game and in the last couple of years is starting to make these outrageous claims without any proof and is instead going on a hunch that since the game plan was changed at the last minute that Callahan sabotaged Super Bowl. And as I explained Rice sounds bitter as well. Neither player obviously liked Callahan and this is their way of expressing it.

I like how you call other people to task for what they say but you don't own up to what you say and instead start using these little feel good smilies to weasel out of it. I called you out on several things and you just glossed over it like you usually do.
bootsy is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 10:04 AM
  #287  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Tweet from Chris Rock:

“Andy Reid wins four games and everybody wants him Lovie smith wins 10 games and can't get a job”
chess is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 10:11 AM
  #288  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Obey The D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 8,622
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by chess View Post
Tweet from Chris Rock:

“Andy Reid wins four games and everybody wants him Lovie smith wins 10 games and can't get a job”
A successful black person implying racism? How shocking!
Obey The D is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 10:14 AM
  #289  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
A successful black person implying racism? How shocking!
Well it's the truth. Who cares if he's successful.
bootsy is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 10:23 AM
  #290  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,749
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by chess View Post
Tweet from Chris Rock:

“Andy Reid wins four games and everybody wants him Lovie smith wins 10 games and can't get a job”
lovie smith gets to the superbowl with a shitty qb.... he is given a good qb and cant even get to the Bowl...

chris... please STFU
raven56706 is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 10:25 AM
  #291  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

I see it as a factual observation and a valid point.

There is simply nothing in Andy Reid's resume, current record or demeanor that implies he's a better coach than Lovie Smith.
chess is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 10:31 AM
  #292  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,842
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by chess View Post
I see it as a factual observation and a valid point.

There is simply nothing in Andy Reid's resume, current record or demeanor that implies he's a better coach than Lovie Smith.
Are you saying that Lovie's resume is the equal of Andy Reid's?
Red Dog is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 10:37 AM
  #293  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,031
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Lovie Smith couldn't work with offensive coordinators. He was always blaming them for the team's lack of success. People in Chicago apparently found this extremely frustrating and the fans grew tired of it.

I think Lovie Smith is a good coach, but there are some serious issues there. He doesn't seem to know how to deal with being in charge of an ENTIRE team. Offense is his kryptonite. That's why I didn't want him in San Diego.

If not for his inability to coach effectively on the offensive side of the ball (and the head coach is responsible for overseeing ALL of the team, including offense) then Lovie would be a great head coach. But he can't oversee the offense effectively, and he can't work well with offensive coordinators, so in the end he's just a good head coach instead of a great one. And good typically doesn't get it done long term in the NFL. If you're just good you may be the head coach, but Not For Long.
B5Erik is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 10:56 AM
  #294  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Are you saying that Lovie's resume is the equal of Andy Reid's?
It's a shorter career, but the highlights and lowlights are about the same. Both started 5-11 and both went to and lost the Super Bowl.

The difference is that the most recent entries in Reid's resume are 8-8 and 4-12 on a team with the talent to do much more. Lovie's most recent entries are 8-8 and 10-6, and he did more with less in terms of talent.

For what it's worth, Lovie also has an AP Coach of the Year Award.

For me this isn't so much about Lovie as it is about Reid. He is at best a shadow of his former self.
chess is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 11:01 AM
  #295  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,842
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Sorry, they're not. 9 playoff appearances and 7 years with at least 1 playoff win in 14 seasons >> 3 playoff appearances (2 years with win) in 9 seasons. Much better success rate for Fat Andy.

And even if you limit it to the last 5 years, where Andy was a "shadow of his former self," 1 playoff app for Lovie vs. 3 for Fat Andy.

So even if Andy is a shadow of his former self, what does that say about Lovie? The results speak for themself.

As for talent, the Eagles talent was overrated -- all that Dream Team crap. The Bears had more talent on defense. Eagles had more talent at the skill offensive positions but the offensive line was putrid the last 2 seasons.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-23-13 at 11:08 AM.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 11:16 AM
  #296  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,955
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Sorry, they're not. 9 playoff appearances and 7 years with at least 1 playoff win in 14 seasons >> 3 playoff appearances (2 years with win) in 9 seasons. Much better success rate for Fat Andy.

And even if you limit it to the last 5 years, where Andy was a "shadow of his former self," 1 playoff app for Lovie vs. 3 for Fat Andy.

So even if Andy is a shadow of his former self, what does that say about Lovie? The results speak for themself.

As for talent, the Eagles talent was overrated -- all that Dream Team crap. The Bears had more talent on defense. Eagles had more talent at the skill offensive positions but the offensive line was putrid the last 2 seasons.
not to mention that Reid gets extra credit for essentially being the GM.

Their resumes aren't even close to equal.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 11:38 AM
  #297  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by chess View Post
I see it as a factual observation and a valid point.

There is simply nothing in Andy Reid's resume, current record or demeanor that implies he's a better coach than Lovie Smith.
I'm not Andy Reid fan but...

6 division titles
5 NFC Championship appearances, 4 consecutive.

vs

3 division titles
2 NFC Championship appearances
CRM114 is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 11:44 AM
  #298  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,806
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by chess View Post
Tweet from Chris Rock:

“Andy Reid wins four games and everybody wants him Lovie smith wins 10 games and can't get a job”
The "racism card" can't be used like this anymore. The president is black.
Tarantino is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 11:48 AM
  #299  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I'm not Andy Reid fan but...

6 division titles
5 NFC Championship appearances, 4 consecutive.

vs

3 division titles
2 NFC Championship appearances
He coached an extra 5 years, so this is a bit skewed. He also had a very good QB in McNabb (or at least he was for 5-6 years there).

However you parse it out, after watching Reid throughout this year, I wouldn't hire him as a coordinator, much less a head coach. I'm not saying I'd hire Lovie either, but I think it's a bit odd for a 10-win coach to get fired or not get an offer for a new job.

Anyway, he'll be alright with his $5M from the bears.
chess is offline  
Old 01-23-13, 11:54 AM
  #300  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: 2012-2013 NFL Offseason Thread

I'd give Andy's early success to the Ray Rhodes constructed defense equally with Donovan.
CRM114 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.