Reload this Page >

The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-01-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

With NBA training camps opening this week, it seems the time is right for a regular season thread. As a Laker fan, i'm very excited to see Nash and Howard in the purple and gold.

Spoiler:
Old 10-01-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Bynum sitting for 3 weeks. I'm not surprised.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/84...t-21-days-knee
Old 10-01-12, 03:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Bynum sitting for 3 weeks. I'm not surprised.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/84...t-21-days-knee
It's a precaution he'll be fine. Figured the ringleader in the peanut gallery would chime in with his predictable thoughts.
Old 10-01-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at the idea that there's some Sports Talk cabal. Most people here wouldn't be able to agree that the Giants won the Super Bowl last year.
Old 10-01-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
It's a precaution he'll be fine. Figured the ringleader in the peanut gallery would chime in with his predictable thoughts.
Ringleader? What are you still butt hurt about?

Heaven forbid that the comment is based on 7 years of following Andrew Bynum's career and constant knee injuries. Missing the first 3 weeks of training camp on a new team is a great start
Old 10-01-12, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts

That picture of Nash is creepy.
Old 10-01-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
at the idea that there's some Sports Talk cabal. Most people here wouldn't be able to agree that the Giants won the Super Bowl last year.
The Giants are a baseball team you moron!
Old 10-01-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,239 Posts

The Lakers sign former All-American Chris Douglas-Roberts, without whose terrible clutch free-throw shooting, I would not have a Kansas Championship banner hanging in my office.
Old 10-01-12, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Ringleader? What are you still butt hurt about?

Heaven forbid that the comment is based on 7 years of following Andrew Bynum's career and constant knee injuries. Missing the first 3 weeks of training camp on a new team is a great start
Butthurt about? If anyone is butthurt it's you with the little snarky comment about Bynum sitting out. He isn't a Laker anymore so it really shouldn't bother you but obviously it still does. That's butthurtiness at it's finest.
Old 10-01-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Butthurt about? If anyone is butthurt it's you with the little snarky comment about Bynum sitting out. He isn't a Laker anymore so it really shouldn't bother you but obviously it still does. That's butthurtiness at it's finest.
Is he only allowed to make comments about the Lakers? You seem to take great offense and jump on people for the slightest comment that might be critical of any team you support.
Old 10-01-12, 11:29 PM
Banned

Dwight Howard will be a massive flop in LA.
Old 10-01-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
Dwight Howard will be a massive flop in LA.
How do you figure?

Sure his offensive skills are a bit overrated, but if he's healthy I can't see him being a "massive flop".
Old 10-02-12, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
Sure his offensive skills are a bit overrated, but if he's healthy I can't see him being a "massive flop".
Agreed. If Howard is healthy all he really needs to do is be a rock on the defensive end and dunk anything that comes his way when he's on offense.
Old 10-02-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Wolves are going to dominate the West.
Old 10-02-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't let bootsy get wind of this.
Old 10-02-12, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Welcome back my loser friends!!!! Now that my team has show supreme dominance I hope you all bow down and treat me with the respect I deserve!

Spoiler:
Who am I kidding??? Everyone enjoy the new season.
Old 10-05-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Dwight Howard fires back at Shaq

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- There appears to be room for only one Superman in Los Angeles.

Lakers center Dwight Howard called out Shaquille O'Neal on Thursday, responding to the former Lakers star and TNT analyst's comments that both the Philadelphia 76ers' Andrew Bynum and the Brooklyn Nets' Brook Lopez are the best true big men in the game today.

"I don't care what Shaq says," Howard told reporters after practice. "Shaq played the game. He's done. He's gone. It's time to move on."

Speaking in a roundtable discussion with fellow TNT analysts posted on NBA.com last week, O'Neal placed Howard below Lopez and Bynum because of his "pick-and-roll" style of play.

"We as players, we always watch people before us," O'Neal said. "When I came in, it was Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajuwon, guys who played like true centers who played inside. What we have now are centers that are going to the European style, which is a lot of pick-and-roll. Dwight Howard, who's a pick-and-roll player, some people say he's the best center in the league, but me being an old-school center, I'm going to go with Robin Lopez and Andrew Bynum because they play with their back to the basket."

O'Neal later corrected himself to say he was speaking about Brook Lopez and not his brother, Robin, who plays for the New Orleans Hornets.

Howard, who practiced without any limitations for the third straight day as he recovers from offseason back surgery, pointed out what he perceived as O'Neal being a hypocrite.

"He hated the fact when he played that the older guys were talking about him and how he played and now he's doing the exact same thing," Howard said. "Just let it go. There's no sense for him to be talking trash to me. He did his thing in the league. He's one of the most dominant players to ever play the game. Just sit back and relax. You did your thing. Your time is up. So, I don't really care. I don't really care. He can say whatever he wants to say."

Howard is the latest in a long line of dominant big men in Lakers history, from George Mikan, to Wilt Chamberlain, to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, to O'Neal.

The Lakers plan to retire O'Neal's jersey at halftime of their game against the Dallas Mavericks on April 2.

When asked if he would want to get on the same page with O'Neal prior to the retirement ceremony, Howard replied, "What do we need to get on the same page for?"

"I have respect for him and what he did for basketball. That's it. Like I said, he's already did his thing. He played. When my time is up, there's going to be somebody else who can do everything I can do, and probably do it better. Instead of me talking about him, I'll do my job to try to help him to get to where I'm at. I think that's what guys who have done it before us should do."

This is not the first time O'Neal has publicly disparaged Howard. He told the Times-Picayune in New Orleans last month that he had "no reaction" to Howard joining the Lakers and said the 26-year-old Howard still had a lot left to prove.

"You have to care to have a reaction," O'Neal said. "I've got businesses to run. I always tell people that in order to step in my shoes you have big shoes to fill. For him, he's going to have to at least win three (titles) to get people's respect."

O'Neal won the first of his four championships at 27, the same age Howard will turn in December. Howard has won three Defensive Player of the Year awards in his first eight seasons in the NBA, however, becoming the first player in the history of the league to win three in a row.

According to multiple sources with knowledge of Howard's thinking, one of the reasons it took him so long to warm to the idea of joining the Lakers when it became apparent he would be leaving the Orlando Magic was because he was wary of the public perception of him copying O'Neal's career path.

When asked Thursday if he and O'Neal have had a relationship in the past, Howard responded, "I don't know what we've had."

Howard has been able to establish a relationship with at least one Lakers legendary big man, however. Abdul-Jabbar visited Howard at the Beverly Hills hotel where he is staying in September.

"Me and Kareem have talked," Howard said. "That will stay private."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...l-time-move-on
Old 10-05-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I saw that story all over the internet and wondered how it's considered "news". Shaq said something stupid about Howard. Howard says it's time to move on. That should be the end of the story, but I guess this is how news stories are going to be for the 2012-2013 Lakers -- just like the Shaq-Kobe days, everything gets amplified and blown out of proportion.

Really, I have no idea why TNT hired Shaq in the first place. Just because Charles Barkley was a funny superstar, doesn't mean every funny NBA superstar is going to work. Sir Charles is pretty clever and has lots of interesting opinions; Shaq only has opinions about Shaq. Dude isn't very smart. It's bad enough to ever profess that you think one of the Lopez twins is a better big man than Dwight Howard -- it's even worse if you can't even remember which one that was.
Old 10-05-12, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I saw that story all over the internet and wondered how it's considered "news". Shaq said something stupid about Howard. Howard says it's time to move on. That should be the end of the story, but I guess this is how news stories are going to be for the 2012-2013 Lakers -- just like the Shaq-Kobe days, everything gets amplified and blown out of proportion.

Really, I have no idea why TNT hired Shaq in the first place. Just because Charles Barkley was a funny superstar, doesn't mean every funny NBA superstar is going to work. Sir Charles is pretty clever and has lots of interesting opinions; Shaq only has opinions about Shaq. Dude isn't very smart. It's bad enough to ever profess that you think one of the Lopez twins is a better big man than Dwight Howard -- it's even worse if you can't even remember which one that was.
I actually Shaq on TNT. He's gotten a lot better than when he started. Barkley made an interesting point about how when Shaq first started he was too uptight and timid and didn't want to step on any toes because of the chemistry, Ernie, Charles and Kenny had. So Charles told him that this is Shaq's show now as well and Shaq needs to relax and have fun on the show. I think that has helped a lot and he has very good chemistry on there as opposed to when he first started.
Old 10-05-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post

C'mon, you don't think Shaq's whole intent was to create media stir?
Old 10-05-12, 07:20 PM
Banned

Shaq feels offended that the homeless man's Alonzo Mourning is being compared to him. Understandable.
Old 10-05-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How does my comment about Bynum show that i'm butt hurt? I'm not bothered at all, just commenting on news. Stop taking everything I post personally.
Old 10-17-12, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,117 Likes on 834 Posts

Lakers got blown out tonight in Anaheim by 34. I think they have lost all 4 of their preseason games by double digits.
Old 10-17-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Dwight Howard fires back at Shaq

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- There appears to be room for only one Superman in Los Angeles.

Lakers center Dwight Howard called out Shaquille O'Neal on Thursday, responding to the former Lakers star and TNT analyst's comments that both the Philadelphia 76ers' Andrew Bynum and the Brooklyn Nets' Brook Lopez are the best true big men in the game today.

"I don't care what Shaq says," Howard told reporters after practice. "Shaq played the game. He's done. He's gone. It's time to move on."

Speaking in a roundtable discussion with fellow TNT analysts posted on NBA.com last week, O'Neal placed Howard below Lopez and Bynum because of his "pick-and-roll" style of play.

"We as players, we always watch people before us," O'Neal said. "When I came in, it was Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajuwon, guys who played like true centers who played inside. What we have now are centers that are going to the European style, which is a lot of pick-and-roll. Dwight Howard, who's a pick-and-roll player, some people say he's the best center in the league, but me being an old-school center, I'm going to go with Robin Lopez and Andrew Bynum because they play with their back to the basket."

O'Neal later corrected himself to say he was speaking about Brook Lopez and not his brother, Robin, who plays for the New Orleans Hornets.

Howard, who practiced without any limitations for the third straight day as he recovers from offseason back surgery, pointed out what he perceived as O'Neal being a hypocrite.

"He hated the fact when he played that the older guys were talking about him and how he played and now he's doing the exact same thing," Howard said. "Just let it go. There's no sense for him to be talking trash to me. He did his thing in the league. He's one of the most dominant players to ever play the game. Just sit back and relax. You did your thing. Your time is up. So, I don't really care. I don't really care. He can say whatever he wants to say."

Howard is the latest in a long line of dominant big men in Lakers history, from George Mikan, to Wilt Chamberlain, to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, to O'Neal.

The Lakers plan to retire O'Neal's jersey at halftime of their game against the Dallas Mavericks on April 2.

When asked if he would want to get on the same page with O'Neal prior to the retirement ceremony, Howard replied, "What do we need to get on the same page for?"

"I have respect for him and what he did for basketball. That's it. Like I said, he's already did his thing. He played. When my time is up, there's going to be somebody else who can do everything I can do, and probably do it better. Instead of me talking about him, I'll do my job to try to help him to get to where I'm at. I think that's what guys who have done it before us should do."

This is not the first time O'Neal has publicly disparaged Howard. He told the Times-Picayune in New Orleans last month that he had "no reaction" to Howard joining the Lakers and said the 26-year-old Howard still had a lot left to prove.

"You have to care to have a reaction," O'Neal said. "I've got businesses to run. I always tell people that in order to step in my shoes you have big shoes to fill. For him, he's going to have to at least win three (titles) to get people's respect."

O'Neal won the first of his four championships at 27, the same age Howard will turn in December. Howard has won three Defensive Player of the Year awards in his first eight seasons in the NBA, however, becoming the first player in the history of the league to win three in a row.

According to multiple sources with knowledge of Howard's thinking, one of the reasons it took him so long to warm to the idea of joining the Lakers when it became apparent he would be leaving the Orlando Magic was because he was wary of the public perception of him copying O'Neal's career path.

When asked Thursday if he and O'Neal have had a relationship in the past, Howard responded, "I don't know what we've had."

Howard has been able to establish a relationship with at least one Lakers legendary big man, however. Abdul-Jabbar visited Howard at the Beverly Hills hotel where he is staying in September.

"Me and Kareem have talked," Howard said. "That will stay private."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...l-time-move-on
It's amazing that this ass-clown took the crown of the most dislikable person in sports from Lebron and Arod. Now that he's on the Lakers I can shut off my TV on Sunday afternoons since all we'll see is LA vs (insert team here) and the talk about Dwight Howard fitting in with Kobe. Fuck that guy.
Old 10-17-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
It's amazing that this ass-clown took the crown of the most dislikable person in sports from Lebron and Arod. Now that he's on the Lakers I can shut off my TV on Sunday afternoons since all we'll see is LA vs (insert team here) and the talk about Dwight Howard fitting in with Kobe. Fuck that guy.
The NBA schedule was set already. And I don't see how Dwight defending himself from Shaq's constant personal issues with him is bothering you more.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.