Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Old 10-01-12, 02:25 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 6,793
Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts
The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

With NBA training camps opening this week, it seems the time is right for a regular season thread. As a Laker fan, i'm very excited to see Nash and Howard in the purple and gold.

Spoiler:
Old 10-01-12, 03:07 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Bynum sitting for 3 weeks. I'm not surprised.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/84...t-21-days-knee
Old 10-01-12, 03:45 PM
  #3  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Bynum sitting for 3 weeks. I'm not surprised.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/84...t-21-days-knee
It's a precaution he'll be fine. Figured the ringleader in the peanut gallery would chime in with his predictable thoughts.
Old 10-01-12, 03:55 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,016
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

at the idea that there's some Sports Talk cabal. Most people here wouldn't be able to agree that the Giants won the Super Bowl last year.
Old 10-01-12, 03:56 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
It's a precaution he'll be fine. Figured the ringleader in the peanut gallery would chime in with his predictable thoughts.
Ringleader? What are you still butt hurt about?

Heaven forbid that the comment is based on 7 years of following Andrew Bynum's career and constant knee injuries. Missing the first 3 weeks of training camp on a new team is a great start
Old 10-01-12, 03:58 PM
  #6  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 21,948
Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

That picture of Nash is creepy.
Old 10-01-12, 04:07 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
at the idea that there's some Sports Talk cabal. Most people here wouldn't be able to agree that the Giants won the Super Bowl last year.
The Giants are a baseball team you moron!
Old 10-01-12, 06:34 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 56,412
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

The Lakers sign former All-American Chris Douglas-Roberts, without whose terrible clutch free-throw shooting, I would not have a Kansas Championship banner hanging in my office.
Old 10-01-12, 07:33 PM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Ringleader? What are you still butt hurt about?

Heaven forbid that the comment is based on 7 years of following Andrew Bynum's career and constant knee injuries. Missing the first 3 weeks of training camp on a new team is a great start
Butthurt about? If anyone is butthurt it's you with the little snarky comment about Bynum sitting out. He isn't a Laker anymore so it really shouldn't bother you but obviously it still does. That's butthurtiness at it's finest.
Old 10-01-12, 08:16 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,016
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
Butthurt about? If anyone is butthurt it's you with the little snarky comment about Bynum sitting out. He isn't a Laker anymore so it really shouldn't bother you but obviously it still does. That's butthurtiness at it's finest.
Is he only allowed to make comments about the Lakers? You seem to take great offense and jump on people for the slightest comment that might be critical of any team you support.
Old 10-01-12, 11:29 PM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Dwight Howard will be a massive flop in LA.
Old 10-01-12, 11:37 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
Dwight Howard will be a massive flop in LA.
How do you figure?

Sure his offensive skills are a bit overrated, but if he's healthy I can't see him being a "massive flop".
Old 10-02-12, 05:18 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 501
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
Sure his offensive skills are a bit overrated, but if he's healthy I can't see him being a "massive flop".
Agreed. If Howard is healthy all he really needs to do is be a rock on the defensive end and dunk anything that comes his way when he's on offense.
Old 10-02-12, 05:45 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

The Wolves are going to dominate the West.
Old 10-02-12, 08:02 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.



Don't let bootsy get wind of this.
Old 10-02-12, 08:36 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Larry C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Let's Go Heat!
Posts: 7,488
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Welcome back my loser friends!!!! Now that my team has show supreme dominance I hope you all bow down and treat me with the respect I deserve!

Spoiler:
Who am I kidding??? Everyone enjoy the new season.
Old 10-05-12, 08:08 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 6,793
Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Dwight Howard fires back at Shaq

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- There appears to be room for only one Superman in Los Angeles.

Lakers center Dwight Howard called out Shaquille O'Neal on Thursday, responding to the former Lakers star and TNT analyst's comments that both the Philadelphia 76ers' Andrew Bynum and the Brooklyn Nets' Brook Lopez are the best true big men in the game today.

"I don't care what Shaq says," Howard told reporters after practice. "Shaq played the game. He's done. He's gone. It's time to move on."

Speaking in a roundtable discussion with fellow TNT analysts posted on NBA.com last week, O'Neal placed Howard below Lopez and Bynum because of his "pick-and-roll" style of play.

"We as players, we always watch people before us," O'Neal said. "When I came in, it was Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajuwon, guys who played like true centers who played inside. What we have now are centers that are going to the European style, which is a lot of pick-and-roll. Dwight Howard, who's a pick-and-roll player, some people say he's the best center in the league, but me being an old-school center, I'm going to go with Robin Lopez and Andrew Bynum because they play with their back to the basket."

O'Neal later corrected himself to say he was speaking about Brook Lopez and not his brother, Robin, who plays for the New Orleans Hornets.

Howard, who practiced without any limitations for the third straight day as he recovers from offseason back surgery, pointed out what he perceived as O'Neal being a hypocrite.

"He hated the fact when he played that the older guys were talking about him and how he played and now he's doing the exact same thing," Howard said. "Just let it go. There's no sense for him to be talking trash to me. He did his thing in the league. He's one of the most dominant players to ever play the game. Just sit back and relax. You did your thing. Your time is up. So, I don't really care. I don't really care. He can say whatever he wants to say."

Howard is the latest in a long line of dominant big men in Lakers history, from George Mikan, to Wilt Chamberlain, to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, to O'Neal.

The Lakers plan to retire O'Neal's jersey at halftime of their game against the Dallas Mavericks on April 2.

When asked if he would want to get on the same page with O'Neal prior to the retirement ceremony, Howard replied, "What do we need to get on the same page for?"

"I have respect for him and what he did for basketball. That's it. Like I said, he's already did his thing. He played. When my time is up, there's going to be somebody else who can do everything I can do, and probably do it better. Instead of me talking about him, I'll do my job to try to help him to get to where I'm at. I think that's what guys who have done it before us should do."

This is not the first time O'Neal has publicly disparaged Howard. He told the Times-Picayune in New Orleans last month that he had "no reaction" to Howard joining the Lakers and said the 26-year-old Howard still had a lot left to prove.

"You have to care to have a reaction," O'Neal said. "I've got businesses to run. I always tell people that in order to step in my shoes you have big shoes to fill. For him, he's going to have to at least win three (titles) to get people's respect."

O'Neal won the first of his four championships at 27, the same age Howard will turn in December. Howard has won three Defensive Player of the Year awards in his first eight seasons in the NBA, however, becoming the first player in the history of the league to win three in a row.

According to multiple sources with knowledge of Howard's thinking, one of the reasons it took him so long to warm to the idea of joining the Lakers when it became apparent he would be leaving the Orlando Magic was because he was wary of the public perception of him copying O'Neal's career path.

When asked Thursday if he and O'Neal have had a relationship in the past, Howard responded, "I don't know what we've had."

Howard has been able to establish a relationship with at least one Lakers legendary big man, however. Abdul-Jabbar visited Howard at the Beverly Hills hotel where he is staying in September.

"Me and Kareem have talked," Howard said. "That will stay private."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...l-time-move-on
Old 10-05-12, 02:21 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 56,412
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

I saw that story all over the internet and wondered how it's considered "news". Shaq said something stupid about Howard. Howard says it's time to move on. That should be the end of the story, but I guess this is how news stories are going to be for the 2012-2013 Lakers -- just like the Shaq-Kobe days, everything gets amplified and blown out of proportion.

Really, I have no idea why TNT hired Shaq in the first place. Just because Charles Barkley was a funny superstar, doesn't mean every funny NBA superstar is going to work. Sir Charles is pretty clever and has lots of interesting opinions; Shaq only has opinions about Shaq. Dude isn't very smart. It's bad enough to ever profess that you think one of the Lopez twins is a better big man than Dwight Howard -- it's even worse if you can't even remember which one that was.
Old 10-05-12, 03:03 PM
  #19  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I saw that story all over the internet and wondered how it's considered "news". Shaq said something stupid about Howard. Howard says it's time to move on. That should be the end of the story, but I guess this is how news stories are going to be for the 2012-2013 Lakers -- just like the Shaq-Kobe days, everything gets amplified and blown out of proportion.

Really, I have no idea why TNT hired Shaq in the first place. Just because Charles Barkley was a funny superstar, doesn't mean every funny NBA superstar is going to work. Sir Charles is pretty clever and has lots of interesting opinions; Shaq only has opinions about Shaq. Dude isn't very smart. It's bad enough to ever profess that you think one of the Lopez twins is a better big man than Dwight Howard -- it's even worse if you can't even remember which one that was.
I actually Shaq on TNT. He's gotten a lot better than when he started. Barkley made an interesting point about how when Shaq first started he was too uptight and timid and didn't want to step on any toes because of the chemistry, Ernie, Charles and Kenny had. So Charles told him that this is Shaq's show now as well and Shaq needs to relax and have fun on the show. I think that has helped a lot and he has very good chemistry on there as opposed to when he first started.
Old 10-05-12, 03:16 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 22,839
Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I saw that story all over the internet and wondered how it's considered "news". Shaq said something stupid about Howard. Howard says it's time to move on. That should be the end of the story, but I guess this is how news stories are going to be for the 2012-2013 Lakers -- just like the Shaq-Kobe days, everything gets amplified and blown out of proportion.

Really, I have no idea why TNT hired Shaq in the first place. Just because Charles Barkley was a funny superstar, doesn't mean every funny NBA superstar is going to work. Sir Charles is pretty clever and has lots of interesting opinions; Shaq only has opinions about Shaq. Dude isn't very smart. It's bad enough to ever profess that you think one of the Lopez twins is a better big man than Dwight Howard -- it's even worse if you can't even remember which one that was.
C'mon, you don't think Shaq's whole intent was to create media stir?
Old 10-05-12, 07:20 PM
  #21  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Shaq feels offended that the homeless man's Alonzo Mourning is being compared to him. Understandable.
Old 10-05-12, 08:39 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
Butthurt about? If anyone is butthurt it's you with the little snarky comment about Bynum sitting out. He isn't a Laker anymore so it really shouldn't bother you but obviously it still does. That's butthurtiness at it's finest.
How does my comment about Bynum show that i'm butt hurt? I'm not bothered at all, just commenting on news. Stop taking everything I post personally.
Old 10-17-12, 12:43 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 66,128
Received 1,117 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Lakers got blown out tonight in Anaheim by 34. I think they have lost all 4 of their preseason games by double digits.
Old 10-17-12, 08:53 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 11,457
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Dwight Howard fires back at Shaq

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- There appears to be room for only one Superman in Los Angeles.

Lakers center Dwight Howard called out Shaquille O'Neal on Thursday, responding to the former Lakers star and TNT analyst's comments that both the Philadelphia 76ers' Andrew Bynum and the Brooklyn Nets' Brook Lopez are the best true big men in the game today.

"I don't care what Shaq says," Howard told reporters after practice. "Shaq played the game. He's done. He's gone. It's time to move on."

Speaking in a roundtable discussion with fellow TNT analysts posted on NBA.com last week, O'Neal placed Howard below Lopez and Bynum because of his "pick-and-roll" style of play.

"We as players, we always watch people before us," O'Neal said. "When I came in, it was Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajuwon, guys who played like true centers who played inside. What we have now are centers that are going to the European style, which is a lot of pick-and-roll. Dwight Howard, who's a pick-and-roll player, some people say he's the best center in the league, but me being an old-school center, I'm going to go with Robin Lopez and Andrew Bynum because they play with their back to the basket."

O'Neal later corrected himself to say he was speaking about Brook Lopez and not his brother, Robin, who plays for the New Orleans Hornets.

Howard, who practiced without any limitations for the third straight day as he recovers from offseason back surgery, pointed out what he perceived as O'Neal being a hypocrite.

"He hated the fact when he played that the older guys were talking about him and how he played and now he's doing the exact same thing," Howard said. "Just let it go. There's no sense for him to be talking trash to me. He did his thing in the league. He's one of the most dominant players to ever play the game. Just sit back and relax. You did your thing. Your time is up. So, I don't really care. I don't really care. He can say whatever he wants to say."

Howard is the latest in a long line of dominant big men in Lakers history, from George Mikan, to Wilt Chamberlain, to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, to O'Neal.

The Lakers plan to retire O'Neal's jersey at halftime of their game against the Dallas Mavericks on April 2.

When asked if he would want to get on the same page with O'Neal prior to the retirement ceremony, Howard replied, "What do we need to get on the same page for?"

"I have respect for him and what he did for basketball. That's it. Like I said, he's already did his thing. He played. When my time is up, there's going to be somebody else who can do everything I can do, and probably do it better. Instead of me talking about him, I'll do my job to try to help him to get to where I'm at. I think that's what guys who have done it before us should do."

This is not the first time O'Neal has publicly disparaged Howard. He told the Times-Picayune in New Orleans last month that he had "no reaction" to Howard joining the Lakers and said the 26-year-old Howard still had a lot left to prove.

"You have to care to have a reaction," O'Neal said. "I've got businesses to run. I always tell people that in order to step in my shoes you have big shoes to fill. For him, he's going to have to at least win three (titles) to get people's respect."

O'Neal won the first of his four championships at 27, the same age Howard will turn in December. Howard has won three Defensive Player of the Year awards in his first eight seasons in the NBA, however, becoming the first player in the history of the league to win three in a row.

According to multiple sources with knowledge of Howard's thinking, one of the reasons it took him so long to warm to the idea of joining the Lakers when it became apparent he would be leaving the Orlando Magic was because he was wary of the public perception of him copying O'Neal's career path.

When asked Thursday if he and O'Neal have had a relationship in the past, Howard responded, "I don't know what we've had."

Howard has been able to establish a relationship with at least one Lakers legendary big man, however. Abdul-Jabbar visited Howard at the Beverly Hills hotel where he is staying in September.

"Me and Kareem have talked," Howard said. "That will stay private."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...l-time-move-on
It's amazing that this ass-clown took the crown of the most dislikable person in sports from Lebron and Arod. Now that he's on the Lakers I can shut off my TV on Sunday afternoons since all we'll see is LA vs (insert team here) and the talk about Dwight Howard fitting in with Kobe. Fuck that guy.
Old 10-17-12, 09:40 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The 2012-13 NBA Regular Season Thread.

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
It's amazing that this ass-clown took the crown of the most dislikable person in sports from Lebron and Arod. Now that he's on the Lakers I can shut off my TV on Sunday afternoons since all we'll see is LA vs (insert team here) and the talk about Dwight Howard fitting in with Kobe. Fuck that guy.
The NBA schedule was set already. And I don't see how Dwight defending himself from Shaq's constant personal issues with him is bothering you more.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.